Finsbury Park Community Choir

2»

Comments

• edited 9:17AM
    Of course it's free. Who's going to pay to be in a choir?
    Yup, it's free - and still very enjoyable, I find. So does one of the regulars, who last week said that singing the chords at the end of Any Dream Will Do was the highlight of her week! I think Mark was rather chuffed.

Mills was there again, and seemed to be enjoying herself. She said she was going to come back here and tell you all, but she must be busy, so I have beaten her to it.
    where does this singing group meet? and is it on this weds?
    See original post for details, Lottie. Only change: start time now 5.45, and finish at 7.15. Yes, it's on this Wed. See you there!
    I keep meaning to come back on and say how much fun choir has been. I've gone the last three wednesdays and had an ace time, except when I got locked in the loo last week! Do come along!
    The choir now has its own website:

http://www.poolesparkcommunitychoir.org.uk.

Tonight, 5.45 - 7.15.

All welcome.
  • PruPru
    edited 9:17AM
    I checked out the website and it says there's a concert on 23rd March - that's next Tuesday. I emailed them but got no response: is it really a Tuesday when the regular date is Wednesday? And is it the same time and place?
    Yes, the concert is on next Tuesday 23rd (at 5.45pm in the usual place) even though the choir usually meets on a Wednesday. The children from the Poole's Park School choir will be singing as well so it's not just the adult choir this time.
    Come and join Finsbury Park’s very own choir. It’s new, it’s free and it’s on Wednesdays starting Weds 28th April. We welcome everyone regardless of ability or age – we just get together to have a good sing-song! The choir made its debut at a Christmas concert in Dec 09 at the Union Chapel, has just performed its second and is gearing up to perform its third - at the Union Chapel on 13th July 2010.
    Unfortunately we have to cancel the community choir rehearsal today.
    We're really sorry but we're extremely overwhelmed preparing for a big concert tomorrow at Royal Albert Hall.

Mark&Aneta
    Dear All

Just a quick note to say that there will be no rehearsal today (May 5th) – but – that we now have the schedule for the rest of this term.
    For more details go to www.poolesparkcommunitychoir.org.uk.

Best wishes
    Mark&Aneta
    3 wonderful new singers have joined the choir, and 2 of them expressed an interest in SG.org, so I thought I'd revive this thread.

Last night we had a look at Summertime, and a beautiful Cole Porter number, but for most of the session we are hard at work on 3 numbers from Carmen. Great stuff.

All welcome. See above, for details.
    Hello fellow choir singers.

When does the next term begin? Unfortunately I missed both the concert (had to work late) and the get together yesterday evening (trying to finish an OU assignment) so I'm completely out of the loop! Looking forward to getting back into it in September though.

Have to say, I've really enjoyed the choir despite initial nerves about not being able to sing terribly well and would recommend it to anyone thinking of coming along next time - come on, the more people we have the less anyone notices when one of us goes a bit wonky ;)

x
    Hello, Miriam. Good to hear from you, and to see such a wholehearted recommendation of the choir. I enjoy playing the piano for it too, and generally being one of the gang. They're a great crowd.

Has Mark (the gaffer) got your email address? He usually lets us know at the last minute. The school reopens on 6/9, if that's any guidance. If you want to contact Mark, go to the choir's website (see above).
    Mark, our choirmaster, asked me to add this:

Hello to all Islington singers!

The new term has begun and we are looking forward to first choir rehearsal on Weds 15th Sept. We have an exciting repertoire for the term based around the theme of Islington. So many great musicians have lived in, or written about, Islington: Thomas D’Urfey, John Playford (the song collector who we think Playford Rd is named after), Benjamin Britten, Johnny Rotten (who grew up 100 yds from Pooles Park), and Dido. We are looking at a number of songs with some intriguing titles: The Fair Maid of Islington; the Milk Bottle Symphony; Bailiff’s Daughter; Grafton St etc . Come and join the adventure!

Sept Wed 15th
    5.45 – 7.15pm
    Rehearsal at Pooles Park...

...[and every Wed at the same time, except for half-term].

More details on website in a couple of days
    All best and look forward to seeing you on Wednesday!

Mark
    <h3>Calling all Islington Singers!</h3>
    <p style="text-align: center;">Come and join us - to sing in exciting <strong>World Premiere</strong> performances taking place in heart of Islington 21<sup>st</sup> 22<sup>nd</sup> July. It will be a fantastic event to launch and celebrate the new <em>Platform - </em>the new Performing Arts Centre (on Hornsey Road). You will be singing with ...</p>
    <p style="text-align: center;"><span style="color:#ff0000;"><strong>S t u d e n t s   o f   t h e   R o y a l   C o l l e g e   o f   M u s i c</strong></span></p>
    <p style="text-align: center;"><span style="color:#00AFDA"><strong>S c a r a b e u s   A e r i a l   T h e a t r e</strong></span></p>
    <p style="text-align: center;"><span style="color:#009933;"><strong>C a n d o c o   D a n c e   C o m p a n y</strong></span></p>
    <p style="text-align: center;"><span style="color:#ff0000;"><strong>P o o l e s   P a r k   C h i l d r e n ’ s   C h o i r</strong></span></p>
    <p style="text-align: center;"><span style="color:#00AFDA;"><strong>P o o l e s   P a r k   C o m m u n i t y   C h o i r</strong></span></p>
    <p style="text-align: center;"><span style="color:#009933;"><strong>M o u n t   C a r m e l   S c h o o l   C h o i r</strong></span></p>
    <p style="text-align: left;"><strong>Rehearsal/Performance Schedule</strong><br />
    Wed 6th July 5.45 – 7.15pm Rehearsal<br />
    Wed 13th July 5.45 – 7.15pm Rehearsal<br />
    Tues 19th July 6.00 – 7.15pm Rehearsal<br />
    Thurs 21st July 6.00 – 7.15pm Rehearsal <br />
    Thurs 21st July 8.30 – 9.30pm Full Dress Rehearsal <br />
    Fri 22nd July 8.30 – 9.30pm Performance 1 <br />
    Sat 23rd July 8.30 – 9.30pm Performance 2 <br /> <br />
    For sheet music and a ‘karaoke’ (minus the vocal parts) orchestral click <a href="http://www.poolesparkcommunitychoir.org.uk/rehearsals/word-sheets/" target="_blank">here</a></p>
    <p>For more info on the festival go to:</p>
    <p><span style="text-decoration: underline;"><a href="http://www.islington.gov.uk/leisure/ArtsAndEntertainment/arts-projects/platform.asp">http://www.islington.gov.uk/leisure/ArtsAndEntertainment/arts-projects/platform.asp</a></span></p>;
    This will be a great thing to be involved in - this has to be the choir with the most varied and interesting repertoire in London! The exciting young composer studies with Mark Anthony Turnage no less - and his world première will take place on the Andover Estate! Come and sing-a-long - you don't have to read music. Free Pizza T-shirts!
    <p style="text-align: justify;"><span style="color:#ff0000;"><strong>Autumn 2011</strong></span></p>
    <p style="text-align: justify;">Come and join for another exciting term of singing. We had a very exciting year last year with carol concerts, a new commission (click on the photo below to see more images), and debut concert at St. Mellitus Church.</p>
    <p style="text-align: justify;">As ever we welcome everyone regardless of ability or age – we just get together and have a good sing-song! Membership is free.</p>
    <p>Rehearsals: 5.45pm – 7.15pm Wednesdays during term-time: Sept 14, 21, 28; Oct 5, 12; Nov 2, 9, 16, 23, 30; Dec 7, 14. Please note - no rehearsal on Oct 19.</p>
    <p>Pooles Park Primary School, Lennox Road, Finsbury Park N4 3NW.  For more details call Aneta on 020 7281 4015. Come to main gate, ring the bell and ask for Debbie.</p>
    Looking forward to Wednesday!!!! Rehearsals: 5.45pm – 7.15pm Wednesdays during term-time: Sept 14, 21, 28; Oct 5, 12, 26; Nov 2, 9, 16, 23, 30; Dec 7, 14. Please note - no rehearsal on Oct 19.
  • Is this choir still going?<br>
  • edited January 2013
    No. It closed some time ago. Some of its members now sing in the small choir at the MIND centre in SHR/FPR(?), which I think currently meets once a fortnight, although they are hoping to return to weekly. I'm sure more singers would be welcome. I used to play for the Poole's Park choir. They were a nice bunch, and I wish their new incarnation well. Why do you ask, Krappy? Were you thinking of joining?
  • This, in Muswell Hill, looks AMAZING. Too expensive for me though. <div><br></div><div>http://www.popchoir.com/</div>;