Book Club Meeting - 26th April

2»

Comments

• edited 11:07PM
    Such a shame we missed you! We agreed the next book would be One Day by David Nicholls next meeting is going to be on the 24th may hope to see you all there, thanks for a great evening
    I'm having mixed feelings about the evening. Everyone is so nice and friendly but I feel like it's too big a group for us to all get a word in. What does everyone else think? Maybe we could split in to two groups for some of the evening and then come together. Or - seeing as it's hard to agree on a book - we could even choose 2 books for the month and some read one and some read the other next time.
    Just a few thoughts...would be good to know what others think. If most people are happy we can leave it as it is.
    Wait, I missed a group that was so big people couldn't get a word in edgewise? I think I need a series of injections of Noticing the Obvious.
    I think I see what you mean Salsa I did notice that though we all got a say at the beginning that perhaps as the discussion progressed it was hard for everyone to contribute. I think splitting up might be a good idea once we have gone round the table once. Reading two books would help split the group but you might end up with similar problems if too many of the group picked the same book.
    Perhaps we could do the same book but split into two groups at the start of the evening and then all report back at the end?

I'd love to hear more about the discussion last night if someone would be prepared to do a quick summary!

Looking forward to reading the next book anyway, and definitely hope to make it along next time.
    third book club meeting, digested: a few of us really really liked it, a couple really didn't like it (angelab even used the H word) and the rest seemed to not quite know what to make of it. some people found it difficult to get to grips with as there were so many characters and little threads that tailed off, and seemed to have no point. but the others argued that it was maybe these bits which added so much to the story, and each of the little stories added to the whole theme. it was almost like a book of short stories and some people thought it would be best read out loud, as with traditional folk stories. the lack of context, and even time-setting, really made it special that we had no idea when it was supposed to be set. the appearance of guns and of the 'iron horse', and references to the queen and the slave trade were things that gave it away. we all agreed that it was written in a very non-judgemental way, and that okonkwo was a hugely interesting man; i for one had very mixed feelings about him, as we talked about how he was a very violent man who did some terrible things, but still we felt pity for him towards the end. and the rare glimpses of his sensitive side and some irrational actions (like when he followed the priestess) made him into much more of a realistic and 3D character. we discussed some similarities with untouchable, the first book we read. i think we were all glad we had read it, and most people, even if they didn't enjoy it, found they had got something out of it. personally, i loved it and thought as a series of character studies and a documentation of a traditional culture it was beautiful and simple. i think i even preferred the first half of the book, before there was even any sign of a real plot. i found the final dénouement very moving and it totally surprised me. we talked a lot about that bit. a couple of people's copies of the book had the big ending written in the blurb which the others thought was outrageous (i don't even want to write it on here in case it spoils it for anybody who hasn't read it). there were also comparisons made to the handmaid's tale, regarding the final line where this huge man's life was due to be reduced to just a few lines in a book. similar to the epilogue in the handmaid's tale where the scholars are discussing the whole awful dystopic period in a light-hearted way. we talked about loads more stuff but i've gone on for ages, pretty inaccurately. someone else can add more. also, there were TWO MEN. admittedly one of them was an honourary member for the night, but still. that's surely enough to give other males the impetus to join. i know men like men.
    More prosaically, I'm making this thread unsticky.
    Thank you Sophie! It sounds like a really good discussion. I'm really glad I've read it too as I'd been meaning to read it for years and it's such an interesting book. Thanks to Hannah for suggesting it!