A reputable garage?

edited March 2010 in Local discussion
My Fiesta is unwell (I think it's the clutch but I'm not 100% certain) and it needs a trip to garage to check out the problem.

Does anyone know of / use a reputable garage in the area?

Comments

• edited 11:01AM
    I use DMP, just off Holloway road. Used them a few times over the last few years, found them to be friendly, honest and reliable.

http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/dmp-motors-ltd-london
    I use Ali on Evershot Road. Nice guys, recommended.
    I use the one on Sparsholt Road, as seen in 28 Weeks Later. They seemed pretty good (def better than Crouch End Kwik Fit), but I'd be interested to know about other people's experiences of them. I don't have much of a clue about cars.
    I can vouch for Marlborough Rd garage, used them many times.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Jewel's on Victoria Road ( just by the railway bridge ) is good.
    If you're willing to venture across the railway, there's a very good small garage on Wightman Road (between Umfreville Rd & Burgoyne Rd) where, unlike so many garages, they don't make you feel like a fool.
  • AliAli
    edited 11:01AM
    John at Jewels is very good. They are located in the builders yard just before the bridge
    I always used to take mine to Holloway Service Station, Sparsholt Road - of 28 Weeks Later fame - but they have gone right down hill of late.

I had my car in there end of last year for service and to fix my wipers which kept stopping and wouldn't start again. They replaced the wiper motor at a cost of about £170 then the next day while driving in torrential rain, the wipers just stopped and in seconds I couldn't see.

Having driven slowly back from Muswell Hill with my head out of the window to see, I took it back in, they said they'd fix it next week and just shrugged it off. I needed the car that weekend as my eldest had a birthday party I was organising. Eventually they gave me the owners car and kept mine in to be fixed.

Now I come to sell that car and get out the paperwork (which, yes I should have checked at the time I know), only to find that the MOT certificate they issued for the car has the wrong mileage - it says 48000 and the car itself only has 26000 on. So I went in on Saturday to complain and get a new certificate issued having been questioned by an suspiscious buyer who clearly thought I was a computer genius and able to clock it, they told me it couldn't be changed on the computer and would ring VOSA and call me back yesterday (they weren't open because of Bank Holiday). Needless to say, they didn't call. I lost the buyer.

I just spoke to them, the guy said it wasn't his fault as he didn't do the MOT, and that they can't do anything about it. After losing it (a bit) he said he could do another MOT test for me to issue a new certificate with the right mileage - utterly useless to me as I am due to part ex it now having lost the sale (at £700 cost to me with crap part ex value) and I know that it will fail as it needs a new tyre and there's a possibility the clutch is on its way out) so it's not an option.

I'm absolutely fuming at their attitude, they really don't give a crap, they are sloppy and I won't be taking my new car there even if it's for the most minor thing. Be very careful.
    They're not in the area (at all) but CB Motors on Hoop Lane in Golders Green are *brilliant* and come complete with old-fashioned service (they call me ma'am! Ma'am!) and their prices seem to be OK. Worth the drive.
    God, that's dreadful Copycara. I hate those little mistakes that kind of take on a domino effect. If it's any consolation I will never go there now.

I used Ali on Evershot Road a while back and I thought they were really good. Parking is a real problem there, and the neighbours give the guys in the garage their car keys so they can move their cars round if necessary. My car was all bashed up and they kind of loved it and made it better, and they stayed open specially late so I could pick it up.