best takeaway curry

edited July 2009 in Local discussion
i did make a token effort to search through all the pages to find the answer to this question but i gave up. what's the best takeaway/delivery curry round 'ere? thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited 2:58PM
    matt, the stage is yours......
  • edited July 2009
    The Tiffin Tin in Hornsey is really good, in my opinion. <http://thetiffintin.com/>; I recommend the mixed vegetable curry. I'm not a vegetarian, but it's all I ever order -- it's delicious.
    The Mezbaan. Best things being the dal, chickpeas, aubergine and potato, potato balls, pakora and freshly cooked naan. And meat eaters seem to like the tandoori chicken too. If you get the mixed veg curry then note that they do a very hot one and a not so hot one. Their hot curries are pretty hot. I also like it because you can ask them not to heat it up and then do that yourself at home to save it getting heated twice
    Though saying that I haven't tried anywhere else in 7 year of living in SG: not sure why I would though?
    I second the Tiffin Tin (and the veg curry!)
  • edited July 2009
    Our house is split. We have one vote in favour for each of <a href="http://thetiffintin.com/" target="poppadom">Tiffin Tin</a> and <a href="http://www.dinnerboxtakeaway.com/" target = "curry">Dinner Box</a>. We have even discussed placing parallel orders and having a blind tasting to settle the matter once and for all.
    Good idea.
    There's a BBC show pitch right there. Take on the Takeaway with a twist. Call it Celebrity Takeaway Death Match. Get two D celebs on mopeds delivering the food, McAvoy can do the voiceover. Votes on speed, price and taste.
    It would have to be more than the voiceover.

I never get takeaways. I'm an ace cook. A lot of actors are.
  • edited July 2009
    So you'll voice a [crap advert for Samsung]() but a show for the BBC is beneath you? Pah. _Where's the consistency, McAvoy?_
    As ever David, you are loss to TV. Takeaway challenge has pretty much been there, done that. It even had mopeds. <http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/tv_and_radio/takeaway_index.shtml>;
    No no no. That only had one moped, and had the takeaway against a celebrity chef cooking at home. This one will be two takeaways, faced off, with the celebrity doing the voice over. In reality TV terms, they're almost different genre's.
    Where's the celebrity angle? We - at the very least - need Sarah Beeny at the end to berate the winning takeaway. She could tell them they only won because the traffic was light that day, or that the order was really simple.
    They didn't need McAvoy for that generic Scottish accent over the Samsung ad. I don't need an angle, it can be as glib as _"..and McAvoy does the voice over."_ and no one will care why. In your mind, Sarah Beeny makes any show watchable.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    My boyfriend and I ate from the Mezban last weekend and I phoned my order in beforehand to make sure they still accept TasteLondon cards, which they confirmed they did.
    When I got there they were all nice, until I pulled out the TasteLondon card and suddenly I felt like a criminal. They claimed to have stopped accepting it despite telling me that they do on the phone about 5 minutes prior to this and having TasteLondon menu holders by the window (which they have still not removed).
    After disputing this for some time and being stared at by the handful of customers in there they changed their story to 'we only accept it if you are buying one meal as it's not worth it for us otherwise' which is obviously ridiculous and then decided as a goodwill gesture to knock £2 off the total for me. Which when they totalled it came to about £3 more than it did when I totalled it from the menu. Stupid TasteLondon. Stupid Mezban.

The food was delicious though. The pakora was yummy and my Lamb Saag, despite reducing me to tears, was pretty damn tasty. As much as I'd like to have principles and boycott them, I don't think I have the willpower. Just. Too. Delicious...!
  • I have just cancelled my Taste London card. It's mostly not valid on Friday and Saturday anyway. Thanks for this - confirms I did the right thing.
    Definitely. I've only used it in probably about 3 places so far and 2 of them have found a way of making it so much less beneficial than it should have been.
    Bengal Spice on Holloway Road however are just grateful for the customers.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I got sent a TL card for free but decided I would be very unlikely to use it and ended up throwing it away. It did seem barmy that Mezbaan was in it and I never dreamed of trying it in there - I think it specified eating in rather than takeaway.
    It seems barmy that you would just throw it away. It doesn't ALWAYS backfire. Also, when I phoned Mezban they said it was fine to use TasteLondon on takeaways.
  • JimJim
    edited 2:58PM
    Dhonia, hands down, best curry restaurant and take away have eaten in years. Big curry fan.
  • edited July 2010
    Holy Cow is a competitor to Tiffin Tin - they have just opened up in Archway and are opening down in Chapel Market very soon. Matt - you should check it out <http://www.holycowonline.com>; Okay, it isn't cheap, but nor is Tiffin Tin. But still I think the ingredients are the best quality around for miles. I don't really see how Exotic, Dhonia or Mezbaan can compare.
    And the best samosas are from Ambala on Turnpike Lane - though you have to go and get them.
  • edited July 2010
    hello everybody! I felt a disturbance in the curry force and thought I'd stop by. hope you're all well. @dion: I don't live in the area any more, having moved to Cornwall in February. But I do miss the amazing variety of food choice in Stroud Green. Dotori, Pappagone, Jai Krishna and Hot Pepper Jelly especially.
    Matt!

What is country living like? Missing the city or glad to see the back of it?
    Delivery-wise I've always enjoyed Chilli and Spice and Sweet Lemon, fwiw.
    Whereabouts in Cornwall Matt?
    The Exotic opposite the Old Dairy on Crouch Hill is the best take away - beginning & end of search.
    Tiffin Tin is overpiced and overpackaged - silly boxes! what's wrong with the other boxes? Besides wallpaper, menu and aquarium does design serve any useful purpose in the curry universe and is it a justifiable reason for higher priced take-away?