Incident on Tollington Park 10/07

Does anyone know what happened on Tollington Park last night? I was walking to my house about 9pm and the police had closed the road to traffic and had cordened off the Front Room and Chaps and Dames.

Heavy police presence, counted 4-5 cars.

Comments

• edited 12:58PM
    I heard (from a member of the public, not a police officer) that it was a stabbing.
    I was walking past the Park Tavern at about 7.30 as 5 police cars and a van arrived with full blues and twos on so it must have been pretty serious.
    No 'serious incident' yellow board up though, so maybe not as bad as thought.
    Those normally take a few days, though.
    Ah - confirmed now:

http://www.hornseyjournal.co.uk/content/haringey/hornseyjournal/news/story.aspx?brand=HCEJOnline&category=news&tBrand=northlondon24&tCategory=newshcej&itemid=WeED14%20Jul%202010%2015%3A21%3A49%3A250

The attacker need to go to jail and not come out. Anyone that carries a knife with them and gives no thought to using it so readily is not someone who should be allowed to interact with other people.
    __Police step up patrols following Stroud Green attempted murder__ _Posted by: SGRA-owner@yahoogroups.co.uk Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:15 pm_ "STROUD Green's neighbourhood police team has vowed to step up patrols and increase weapon sweeps after a violent robbery on Thursday. In the early hours of the morning, a 17-year-old was viciously attacked and another was wounded and robbed of his possessions near Upper Tollington Park Road. A 16-year-old boy appeared at Highgate Magistrates Court, in Bishops Road, charged with attempted murder, wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, and a third count of robbery. Sergeant Bob Stevenson, of Stroud Green Safer Neighbourhoods Team (SNT), said: "We would like to reassure the community that we take any violent incident extremely seriously, and we will continue to work with other Met units to prevent violent crime and bring offenders to justice when such incidents take place." He added: "Stroud Green SNT are increasing visible patrols in the area, conducting weapons sweeps in the area and making use of stop and search powers where appropriate. "
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AliAli
    edited 12:58PM
    It is reassuring that the Police will be patrolling a bit more. There seems to be a view that the local police are not that visible. Would it be possible to measure how visible they actually are and use this site to provide some feedback. There are around 1000 people who members who are probably randomly walking about the place although I am sure most go to the tube. So how about having the ability for people to come here and record that they have seen a policeman, PCO etc on the beat. At the highest level it could just be a simple count but it could also include a time of day of the sighting is Morning , Afternoon, Evening, Night etc and maybe a location say near the Tube , SGR, back street or something. The analysis from this could be then displayed for all to see ? It might be tempting for people to put false info in which I guess is a risk
    I saw a bunch of PCSOs around the station and adjoining crossroads yesterday, and in fact often see them down that end. Just not so often along SGR itself.
    Yes, there are often police in the actual tube station, at the entrance to the platforms and on the platforms themselves, which I suppose isn't surprising given the tube is next to the Transport Police station. I've seen coppers park opposite Nandos to get their dinner a few times, if that counts!
  • IanIan
    @Emma. That will be because police officers get a 50% discount at Nando's.
  • AliAli
    that almost sounds like protection money !
    That must be why the police force is oversubscribed at the moment then. Ooo lovely chicken.
    There was a heavy police presence outside a house in Stapleton Hall Road end of last week (right opposite St Aidan's School). In the morning lots of activity, then 2 police standing guard all day and into the evening.

One of the parents was told that they had searched the place on suspiscion of the residents' having been involved in the above incident, but had found a cannabis factory while they were at it...

No more news since.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm up for keeping a policeman on the beat count but they have to be on patrol on foot, on the streets, so I reckon the following things shouldn't count. Driving At the station Getting dinner During an Arsenal match or other event Attending an incident In the park
    the incident was quite sad to say the least i heard that basically a guy was beating his girlfriend up on tollington and a passer-by with his little girl stepped in and then the guy pulled a knife out on him in front of this little girl...

can't say i have ever seen in a policeman in SGR...
    @ adamski122 that isn't quite what happened - see the link above to the news article. Interesting how local Chinese Whispers work!
    There was something else happening up the Hornsey Road end of Tollington Park last night, two AA vans and an ambulance so presumably a car crash. Cyclists and motorists were being diverted but I strolled through.
    @ Emma i heard mine from a guy in the park tavern just after it happened, depends on who is more trustworthy local journalist or a patron of the park tavern.... ;-p
    i just read the article... yeah that version does sound more believable than the one i heard come to think of it