Finsbury Park in the movies

edited July 2010 in Local discussion
Just read a review of new film London River, starring Brenda Blethyn and Sotigui Kouyate - it says it's set around 'the multicultural Finsbury Park/Haringey area, all halal butchers and ad hoc international exchange shops'. Anyone seen this and been location spotting?

Comments

• edited 2:29PM
    No, haven't seen this one but Happy Go Lucky was filmed all around FP/SG
    I used to live at the top end of Blackstock Road and remember this being filmed. Was ages ago though - probs early 2008.

It's not had much publicity had it? Completely passed me by until I saw this thread. Been out since July 9, and still on at a few places in town.
    There's a fair bit of Stroud Green in London River. I think it starts off at the Old Dairy crossroads and I think a laundry on SGR is used for one of the scenes.
  • PruPru
    edited 2:29PM
    I've seen it - it was good! Mostly filmed in Blackstock Road but also uses the bridge by Haringey railway station a fair bit.

The flat where a lot of the action takes place is above the Al Baraka butchers and Sunderban restaurant, next door to the college and library in Blackstock Road. Of course they scan around the college building itself: far to smart for the area they want to portray! the laundry is just a few shops along.

I remember them filming it: it was June/July 2009. They told me it was a french film about a woman who comes searching for her missing daughter, which at least part of the story.

The film's pretty harrowing: set in the aftermath of the London bombings.

I'd recommend seeing it, and if its still on in the Apollo just down from Piccadilly Circus then that was very nice.
    and of course Shaun of Shaun of the Dead lived just off Weston Park
    28 Weeks Later comes closer to SG, albeit with the same shaky grasp of London geography seen elsewhere in the film (the Noble is apparently just over the footbridge from the Isle of Dogs).
  • The new live action/cartoon Flump film will be party filmed in Finsbury Park by Disney according to Film London website
  • the yogi bear film is out tomorrow so it shows what can be done in 3d
    isnt bits of about a boy set around St Aidens primary school just off sg?