White Lion refurb.

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• edited 9:19PM
    Bit of a downmarket step for CE, which I'd thought of as a fairly definitive All Bar One sort of location. And I hope the WLM isn't out of action for long. For one thing, where will the regulars go? For another, what will I do for brunch when even making toast seems too much of an effort and the veggie sausages are calling?
    Ah but Highgate has a Wetherspoons, so maybe Crouch End wants one too. I've never been in the Highgate Wetherspoons, but I've always thought it looks like it might be the nicest one in the country.
    Papa L - 'Nice' and 'Wetherspoons' in the same sentence is a novel combo. I suppose it's all relative...
    not even the nicest 'spoon with an Nxx postcode. Try the Coronet on Holloway Road for faded grandeur.
    That's a shame, i always liked the ABO in CE - even though it seems to have been one of the few that remained of the chain. Perhaps its because they didn't serve Guinness. I remember when the one in Angel used to get absolutely rammed. You'd never see the one in CE like that. Wetherspoons worries me a little I hope its not a trend similar to Ealing, where the increasing popularity of the area attracted this kind of business and then the wrong type of crowd.
    The biggest downhill steps for Crouch End were Clinton Cards and Starbucks.
    as long as the King's Head is still open and in crawling distance, the rest of Crouch End can go hang.
    They do a very good Sunday lunch there.
    Muswell Hill is terrifying with all its appalling pubs - hopefully all the bampots don't get a sniff of the Curry and a Pint offers in CE...
    Clinton Cards is my particular pet hate. I can see why the Lee Nelson-watching public continue to buy their giant silver balloons, with cutesy blue bears on one side and "love you forever babes" on the other from there, but its not very Crouch End is it? God dammit I'm a snob!
    First time I saw Lee Nelson was Downstairs at the Kings Head! So looks like we can blame Dominic Frisbee (bearded comedy host) for all CE's ills! And John Oliver. The arse.
  • edited August 2010
    Everything about Clinton Cards depresses the life out of me. The product range, the logo, the carpet, the lighting, the godawful window displays. Everything.
    The Kings Head had lots of mice running around on the floor last Wednesday, when I was there. Once you got an eye for them, it seemed there were quite a few scampering around across the floor, around people's feet, not looking timid at all. Once bloke took to trying to stamp on one under the table. I find All Bar One a bit like a place in a station, completely soulless. They hadn't heard of vermouth and didn't know how to make a martini, and weren't going to try. We went to the Harringay Arms in the end, for normality. Hope the Wetherspoons won't put them out of business.
    I was taken into the Harringay Arms once, it was like being in an episode of the X-Files.
    I think it's more like one of those pubs in a Hammer film, how do you mean?
    Yes you're right. Maybe the Slaughtered Lamb from 'An American Werewolf in London'. Or maybe I had it with the X-Files. Lots of mutants.
    I was also in the Gatehouse last week in Highgate which is the Wetherspoons. (I find it a bit worrying that I seem to have been in every bar mentioned on here, in the past week). Anyway I can safely say it's not nice at all, it's like every other one. I thought it was identical to the Fox on the Hill on Denmark Hill, in fact I thought I was there momentarily. It smells of ketchup, and is so incredibly cheap. Two drinks for £2.90. I went with my friend who used to go there when he was at the nice private school there. He said the prices hadn't changed since the 80"s.
    Yes it is like the Slaughtered Lamb. It's kind of creepy. I remember a while ago, I left my hat in there, after a lock in, and realised half way up the hill, it was pretty late by then. I went back for it, and the landlord was just standing there, silently with it, in an outstretched arm on the doorstep. Weird.
    I think the Harringay Arms is one of the great little pubs of north London. I especially like the 'garden' out the back. You feel as if you keeled over and died on the white plastic chair there they would leave you for a fortnight. If you wander in off the street they all stare as if *you* are the mutant. But that is precisely the point of that kind of pub. Distinctive - it gives CE some character. Long may it prosper.

To return to SG, you could not say quite the same of the NN or the WL which are much more depressingly run down.
    When I was in the Harringay Arms a few weeks ago I was left under the tv whilst the drinks were being bought and everyoe was staring in my direction and they were a bit of an odd bunch and it was quite stressful. But I like it in there. I heard a rumour that the HORRIBLE pub near the chip shop is closing. Clinton Cards, like UKAY kebab, how do they survive???
    The Nicholas Nickleby, at the SG end of Ferme Park Road takes the wierdness biscuit. Caused deep offence by standing at the bar waiting to be served there not long ago. "Arrows" as we used to say, when Bulmers had that advert series.
    Popped into the PArk Tavern for the first time yesterday. Good Guinness, elderly clientèle, 1970s decor. Bar-lady said the trade had declined massively in recent years. It'll need an overhaul to survive, I'd have thought.
    Agreed with KRS about the Harringay Arms being a fine and characterful pub. Also, the first time I went there, Max Decharne from the Flaming Stars was in, and that's a man who sings like he knows his drinking establishments.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Agree. HA one of the best real pubs around and do very good Guinness. it is a bit "Slaughtered Lamb", but that adds to it's appeal. I think it got quite a loyal following and it would be a crying shame if the new 'Spoon led to a situation like that of the Park Tavern. Problem is, we all want nice plush fitting's but an old school atmosphere.
  • AliAli
    edited 9:19PM
    More on the White Lion refurb. Apparently when a new Wetherspoons open up within a mile of an existing one the existing one gets a make over as well. So WLM is getting the treatment if the Crouch End one goes ahead. It is likely to be in late September/early October. The manager has to produce a business plan and is trying to get the bar moved back to where is use to be ie in the centre of the pub. Apparently the pub lost lots of business when it had the make over to get it to it’s current configuration. The carpets will be going and the air con at the back will be toned down so you don’t need a winter coat in the middle of summer. Moves also may be a foot to “improve” the mix of clientele with a greater emphasis on food etc so the pub reflects the wider SG community a bit better than it does at the moment. I am going to send HQ some feedback at <http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/contact > asking for the central bar back again as it would transform the place. Apparently it was the 9th to became a Wetherspoons (used to be a car show room before that) and is the 3rd smallest in the chain. I remember the days when it featured 2 pages in the Sunday Time’s Mag as a trendy local Guardian readers pub ! It had a half page picture of the big round table that used to be “conservatory” part of the pub. It had carved top which used to put your beer in some danger of spilling over the glass sides.
    When I moved here it was the best local by far, faux-Victorian but quite well done, central bar, lots of different alcoves and snugs, faux wood panelling, bookshelves and books by the yard, one or two 'real' fires, sofas and wicker chairs, and the big carved round table at the back. I think they even had (faux) etched glass swivelling snob screens. The pub seemed to automatically divide itself into different areas - the hard drinkers stuck to one of the areas at the front, families and the higher echelons of society gravitated towards the back. Like an old fashioned pub with saloon and public.

Couldn't believe it when they tore all that out to make it look like a Wimpy Bar or the arse end of an airport lounge.