[...]

Comments

• edited August 2010
    I haven't seen it in SG and have lived in the area for 4 years.

<a href="http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/environment_and_transport/refuseandrecycling/refuse/timedcollections.htm">Link</a> Seems they do indeed to a collection from certain roads, none of which are on this side of the Ladder.

Stroud Green folk, denied the free Timed Collections can pay for collection of large household items: <a href="http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/environment_and_transport/refuseandrecycling/refuse/bulkyitems.htm#other">£16.87</a>

If you've got a front garden, you can get one free annual collection, though living in a flat they wouldn't do this for me, even though there's a front garden.

Free white goods collection.
  • edited 4:49PM
    @mpc
    Have a look at the 'Bin Raid Olympics' thread.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    thanks folks, for the steer

apparently what I need for free removal is called <A HREF=http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/environment_and_transport/refuseandrecycling/refuse/communityclearup.htm#whenwillmycommunityclearuptakeplace target =_blank>Community Clear Up</A>
    Haringey will take a lot of stuff for free, i've had tv's ovens etc all picked up next day free of charge..

See

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/environment_and_transport/refuseandrecycling/refuse/bulkyitems.htm
    On another thread there are many many stories of items left outside the front, which have been collected within minutes. not by the council, but by "people" who will find value in absolutely anything. Try it, its magic.
    Yes, that's the 'Bin Raid Olympics'
    It appears that bin raiders are quite selective though. I put a fridge in the front garden to be picked up by the white good collection at Haringey Council. It took them 4 weeks and several phone calls to remove it. However, within the first few hours of the fridge being outside the fridge doors and the metal parts on the back were all gone.
  • IanIan
    edited 4:49PM
    Ah - that might well be the scrap metal guys that prowl around, particularly since the council house renevations started and there was rich pickings to be had from old radiators and the like. They open up the skips on the road and drag everything out of it until they find the things they want. We were doing work on our house and found them scrabbling round in our front garden creating a mess trying to get bits of door handles. I tried to (unsuccessfully) on this site give away my very nice and reasonably new Bosch fridge freezer. Last Sunday we put it outside on the street, but because I was sorting out the freezer baskets they were only just in the front garden. I went to the shop and bingo ... fridge freezer gone and they had come into the garden and taken the freezer baskets as well. I was quite pleased.
    I pay £1000 a year to Haringey council for a small flat and I have to pay to have large items collected. It's crazy! I could understand at least one free collection every year, 3 items.
    Heft it over the Islington border to a friend's, maybe? We get free collections this side. NB it is further from my room to my front door than from the front door to the borough boundary, so I appreciate this may not be as practical for people whose situation greatly differs.
    Kreuzkav, Haringey Council has a free bulky waste collection once a year, I think it was in February this year. They also collect things such as fridges, ovens and washing machines for free throughout the year. Have a look on their website:
    http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/environment_and_transport/refuseandrecycling/refuse/communityclearup.htm
  • edited August 2010
    Am not quite as pissed off as K but how did you hear of the collection Llollo?

Is so infrequent that it's almost useless for anyone in a flat with nowhere to store old kitchens/crud, who are forced to pay extra for a collection. I know we all don't get the full use of every council service, but doesn't everyone create refuse, yet only those on the Ladder get regular outsized collections. no wonder oakfield road regularly has mattresses and misc shite dumped on it
    The bulky waste collections are advertised via postcards, maybe on the website, but blink and you miss it. Not sure how you can plan throwing away stuff around them, just have to be lucky. I've ordered the bulky waste collection service and have them not turn up and had to chase them a couple of times. The front garden just ends up looking like a junk yard for a couple of weeks. My wheelie bin broke a while ago, the lid came off after a collection. This resulted in foxes checking the bin out every night. It took 3 months for the Council to deliver a new one. I chased it a couple of times. Once they said, well we have checked your current bin and yes we agree it is broken. I do think Haringey are rubbish (sorry) at this stuff. I've got friends in Hackney who are able to get: compost bins and boxes, wormeries, bokashi bins, and water butt kits from the council all at subsidised prices. They don't charge for collecting bulky waste I think five times in the year and they seem to have loads of the community skip things. I asked Haringey about the compost bins a little while ago, and they said they were trying to find a supplier. Hackney seemed to manage it ok.
    I agree that the annual waste collection isn't well advertised, I only found out about it after some internet research as we needed to get rid off an old mattress. Coincidentally, the collection took place around the same time so the mattress didn't end up a slimy mess in the front garden.
    I had the same experience as Dorothy with the collection services recently. Haringey just doesn't seem to be very good in making sure that their collectors turn up for the white good collection. I had to make several phone calls until someone eventually removed our fridge.
  • AliAli
    edited 4:49PM
    We managed to get a subsidised Compost bin from Haringey a few years ago. If you have got an old pre wheelie bin dustbin, cut the bottom off it and turn it upside down so the wider bit is on the dirt. ( Helps when getting the compost out.) Put a brick on the lid to stop it coming off. Works a treat ! I also use the web site to report problems like holes in the Road, dumped rubbish, planning breached etc <https://eforms.secure.haringey.gov.uk/ufs/ufsmain?esessionid=BEFBF90862921047CAE0BE40884D1E59_1&formid=REPORT_A_PROBLEM>; Takes no longer than posting on here and they usually respond with in a couple of days. I have also found the recycle place up on Hornsey High Street very good. <http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/environment_and_transport/refuseandrecycling/reuse_recycling.htm>; They take all sorts of stuff if you can get it there
    I've never had any problems with Haringey for bins and recycley bits - our downstairs neighbours are fond of using our bins and green bins as mixing troughs for their various renovations so I've had to ask for extras a few times via the website and they've always arrived within the week. I guess it's a bit down to luck as to whether someone efficient picks up your request, as with most council related things!
    Ditto. I've always had polite, quick responses from Haringey. Although I'm working on the theory that it depends on what time of year you ask for these things. I reckon they buy a load of refuse bins, sacks, recyling tubs etc. at the start of the new budget period and they give them out, on request until they're all gone and you won't get anything new/replaced until their next budget year.
    Not a 'knives out' for Haringey, but when I'd paid for a large item collection (for futon + base), they didn't collect on the date promised. When I called to chase it, the lady argued "Yes they did". Erm, no, it's still in the front garden. "Are you sure it's not a different bed?"...
    Once I rang the bulky refuse line, and asked for a pick up. When I described the items, some large bits of wood and 3 large mirrors, they said that was more than six things. I could only have 6. I said what if I smash up the mirrors up into little bits and put them in a bin liner. They said yes, they would take it then.
    The reason why the annual bulky waste collection is only advertised (leaflet drop) so close to the date is to stop people from neighbouring areas bringing the stuff in and dumping it in your roads. It's ditto with the skips. It's a well known fact that a skip magically fills itself overnight as happened when we did manage to get the council to supply one to us once. Cars, vans and even lorries were pulling up and unloading all sorts into and around it. By the time the skip was due to be taken away there was about three skips full of stuff dumped around it. The council, and us residents, weren't very happy with that. (Do these people cruise around looking for skips to use?)