Veggie restaurant recommendations please

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• edited 9:23PM
    When I was a student I worked in a Gujarati restaurant in Finchley Central called Rani, which I think is much better than JK.
  • LizLiz
    edited 9:23PM
    If you're looking for somewhere really special, try Morgan M on Liverpool Road. They do a fantastic five course tasting menu with both veggie and meat options (most unusual for upmarket French restaurants) and will let you swap fish options into the veggie menu too. They also do wine by the course which is brilliant - expect to pay about £100 a head if you go for that option. It's not cheap but it is wonderful.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Vanilla Black is veggie and cheaper than Morgan M, albeit still fancy. http://www.vanillablack.co.uk/
    Yes, I have been (my husband is a no-fish veggie, I've investigated pretty much every veggie option in town...) - it was a while ago though. The food was good, my only complaint was that the portions were slightly small, but I'm quite greedy... Locally, actually, he reckons that Dotori is a pretty good option - it does have a decent selection of veggie dishes.
  • LizLiz
    Vanilla Black is great - good recommendation. There's also Manna in Primrose Hill for somewhere nice but less pricey than Morgan M.
    Eating fish means this person is NOT VEGETARIAN. Ahem. Yes, I eat mushrooms which are biologically closer to meat than vegetables, but if it has eyeballs and you eat it then you are surely not in the club.
    (Eating shellfish is another matter, given I'll kill slugs without compunction. There my problem is more that someone is essentially eating a bogey in a restaurant)
    For cheap and delicious I love Diwana Bel-phoori House in Drummond St Euston. I love Pani Phoori. By the way I used to work at Manna years ago !
    Exciting news about your new chap Misscara, hope all goes well!

I'm a devoted carnivore but I did notice a vast choice of vegetarian options when I was dining at Mem & Laz on Thereberton Street (top end of Upper Street) recently. The menu is Mediteranean/Turkish.

It's a great place, one of my favourites, the atmosphere is lovely for all occasions - I've been there for romantic dinners with boyfriends and supper with my pals and always had a splendid time.
    Is Blah Blah Blah in Shepherds Bush still going? Back in the day, it was ace.
  • edited September 2010
    Ah, yes, Blah Blah Blah was brilliant. Haven't been there in about 10 years though. There's also Mildred's, in Soho, for a more casual occasion.
  • LizLiz
    Blah Blah Blah also has the advantage of being BYO, though the disadvantage of being in West London. Used to go there quite a lot before I saw the light and moved north...
    Mildred's in Soho is an obvious choice.
    Another vote for Mildreds. Low cost but you can't book.

The pistachio cheesecake was amaaaaaaazing.
    Echoing ADGS, your dinner guest sounds like a pescatarian not a vegetarian so you have a lot more options than the usual veggie haunts, but as a lifelong veggie I recommend:

Vanilla Black: lovely, special night out, it's about £35 for three courses and the food is all about celebrating vegetables! Although you can get duck egg and cheeses there... Meat eaters love it too. It's friendly but fairly formal. I agree with Colette about portion sizes but you do feel full - just not overstuffed.

Mildred's: brilliant, filling food, generous portions, varied menu, always busy - but inappropriate for a dinner date. It takes ages to choose from their menu because I'm not used to having so much choice.

If you can be bothered to travel over to Hammersmith, The Gate is a very good veggie restaurant, somewhere between Mildred's and Vanilla Black in style and atmosphere.

I was very disappointed when I went to Manna in Primrose Hill. Boring, nondescript food, chilly room, neglectful service, overpriced.

I would love to go to Morgan M.