Burglaries on Parkland Walk?

edited September 2010 in Local discussion
Thinking of buying a place backing onto the Parkland Walk. I was wondering if burglaries were really a problem there, or if that was just a myth. A friend of mine who came to house hunt with me suggested I put up a high fence topped with barbed wire to prevent intruders. All seemed like over-kill to me. Curious if insurance a problem as well. Thanks.

Comments

• edited 10:30AM
    Dont worry its fine, have lived backing onto it for years - never had any problem - in summer its gives a lot of privacy and very beautiful. might get the odd fox living round theback of your house tho...

a fence isnt a bad idea but if you are in a terrance wont they just jump in via the neighbours anyway?
    Easier to burgle the neighbours first though, isn't it? cf the old 'I don't have to run faster than the bear, I just have to run faster than you'.
    lived here for 10 years and been burgled once - which seems to me no more or less than if we didn't back onto parkland walk.
    After that burglary the advice I got from the police was to put up relatively weak trellis - if anyone tries to climb it, it breaks leaving blood (therefore DNA) that most opportunist tea-leafs who've any experience of the law like to avoid. Cheaper than barbed wire and prettier too.
    Backing onto the walk is fantastic - not overlooked and a real treat to watch the seasons come and go. I love it.
    Wait until my plans for the Finsbury Park to Highgate monorail gets planning permission.
    Thanks, that's helpful. I think its lovely too.
  • edited September 2010
    Been burgled once in 10 years too. If it bothers you that much, get a monitored alarm which means the (professional) Burgular knows they have about 8 minutes max to get what they want and get out.

Needless to say, don't leave anything valuable on sight. Or better, leave a broken Laptop lying about ...
    I've lived in a ground floor flat on Florence Road backing onto the Parkland Walk for seven years. I've been burgled twice in that time. But... both times through the front of the property.

I have trellis up in the back garden which doesn't spoil the view and still, as helen points out, acts as a deterent. At the front I now use window film on the lower panes so that that anything of value is hidden from view.

Insurance no problem.

Don't be put off. It really is quite bucolic.
    Re: "not overlooked" - what about all the walkers on the Walk? Certainly on the sections where it's higher than the adjoining gardens, even level with the first floors, I wonder whether you'd have to be an exhibitionist to live there.
    OK, so if we are to discuss "overlooking", my point is that I personally prefer not to have a row of houses backing onto my backgarden who can all look in through my windows... and of course at a macro level there's google earth and an array of other satellites that can look down and see through the windows if they choose of any house throughout stroud green or perhaps, dare i say it, even further afield.
    but as it goes, the trees and brambles give me peace and total privacy for 6 months of the year and at christmas people wave as we sit and have christmas dinner...which I personally find rather jolly

perhaps ADGS your exhibitionist point says rather more about you or at least some wishful thinking...
    No, just wondering if stuff like that dinnertime waving happens, which it clearly does - I couldn't stand it!
    point re overlooking is even in winter people just arent going to stop and peer at you - they are so far away theyd need to be seriously weird to stand on the raised part of the walk, look through branches and twigs to try and see what yoiu are doing with your dinner. theoretically possible but nowhere near the same as being overlooking by houses facing your garden. walkers tend to walk...

have had the odd randon hoodie stonethrower though but very infrequent and no damage done - twice in past few years and police are apparently into them
  • AliAli
    edited 10:30AM
    Arkardy’s Mono rail may not be a joke ? This lot are actively campaigning for the line to be put back <http://muswellhillmetrogroup.com/proposals.html>; Imagine getting a mono rail to an Ally Pally cinema. I am against anything like this and I would think there is no money. Although with it being a cycle route it is moving back to being a transport corridor more than a linear nature reserve.
    I'd like a nice picturesque cable car system - starting from FP overground platforms and linking Crouch Hill, Ally Pally and Highgate.
    Some form of DLR system with a raised rail would, I guess, have limited impact on the wildlife. The latter is, of course, mostly on the track banks rather than the track bed which - as Ali notes - is now very much a transport route. I think it's pie-in-the-sky financially, for the time being anyway. But it may not always be so, and if London Overground continues to be a success and increases capacity keep your eyes open for the re-opening of Stroud Green station as an interchange! A
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2010
    Good idea. Some lovely pictures of Stroud Green station past and present: <http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/stroud_green/index.shtml>;
    that website is amazing
  • edited September 2010
    If you like that, you may well like this: <http://www.derelictlondon.com/>;
    That is completely fascinating.

I was pleased to see Palmers Pet Stores in Camden on that site. It's been turned into a cafe recently and the new owners have kept the marvellous fascia which advertises monkeys and talking parrots for sale.

Didn't notice W. Plumbs of Hornsey Rd on there, it would be a worthy addition.