TFL Strike

2»

Comments

• AliAli
    edited 12:10PM
    Agree with you. I noticed a lot of “new” people not thinking of changing down gears when approaching red lights etc. When they start up again they are in 5th gear and wobbly all over the place. Lots of extra cars with drivers part in the cycle lane so making it more difficult to get past with out endangering the wing mirrors That route has some very nice houses on especially around the Albion
  • edited 12:10PM
    One good thing about the tube strike...
    Our directors have decided to release us into the wild at 4pm today (instead of 5pm) to enable us all to get home safely. Hooray!`
    You're right. I believe Blair used to live down that neck of the woods before he was PM. Some of the houses are amazing. re: cycle lanes, i think they're pretty unhelpful most of the time. I told a moped rider off for using it today - I think I was frustrated and slightly more irritated than I am on a normal day!
    Wasn't it Elford Road he used to live on, next to Arsenal?
    Tony Blair did indeed live just round the corner from The Albion, on Richmond Crescent...
  • LizLiz
    Much rather live there than where he lives now, just off the bottom of Edgware Road.
    It's no SG is it, ay, readers?
    Can anyone recommend a good route to Victoria then? I think mine could be improved.
  • AliAli
    I use the one recommended on the TfL Journey Planner site advance options as http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2 You need to look at the PDFs that are generated to see the actual map, but generally it is down to FP, down St Thomas Rd, around past Arsenal tube past Emirates , Drayton Park, left along Horsey Rd up to the Library, cross Holloway Rd , straight on up Madras Place on across Liverpool Rd , up past Morgan M and Freightliners , turn left into Westbourne Rd, up until the end turn right into Offord Road, hard left into Thornill Rd straight down past the Albion along Barnsbury Rd, straight cross Pentionville Road into Anwell Street past Filthys, down the hill turn right into Margery Street, straight down across Farringdon Rd, the post sorting office in on your left, straight down Calthorpe Street across Grays Inns, straight along Guilthord Street left at Lamb Conduit Street past the Lamb (great pub) , keep going straight on through the shared pedestrian bit past the police station on the left , straight across into Red Lion Street to the end , turn right into High Holborn, before you get to the crossing lights turn left underneath the Hotel ie what was Holborn Place, turn right up Whetstone Park, turn left at the end then right into Remnant Street across Kingsway into Great Queen Street, all the way long to Long Acre, turn right into Endell Street, then left into Shelton Street, straight on for a while past Bergo etc left into St Martins Lane , through the lights right down to the bottom, turn righ into King William Street then left into St Martin Place, then around Trafalgar Square, through Admiralty Arch , turn left into HorseGuards , past the back on no 10, along past the Treasury, turn right into Bird cage walk then I cut through to St James Park Station , after that it depend where exactly where your going, going home is similar apart from some differences around Covent Garden because of the one ways. Takes 35 to 40 mins depending on Traffic lights
    Looks like they're going ahead with the next tube strike on Monday.
    I work in Kensington so last time I got the overground to Gospel Oak, then to Willesdon Junction, then to Kensington Olympia and walked. I left home at 8 and didn't get to work until 10:15. And the overground was horrendously packed. I couldn't get on the first 3 trains at Crouch Hill and they wouldn't let people on the platform when I first reached Gospel Oak. It wasn't until Willesdon when things calmed down a bit. I don't have a bike but I really need to try a different way to work - not sure I can handle the overground again.

Any suggestions?
    This might seem a bit mad, but you could do what I did. Get on at Harringey or Finsbury Park to Moorgate, then stroll down to London Bridge. Then get the boat. You’ll need to change at Embankment, but the boat will take you to Chelsea Pier which serves the spanking new Imperial Wharf overland station – one stop to West Brompton or two to Kensington, depending on where you need to go. It took my pal 3 hours to get to Kensington from Crouch End last time (by bus). I took me about 1hr 20 to get to Pimlico using the route above. Add on maybe 30 minutes to get to Kensington? Might not be much less than the route you took last time, but it’ll be prettier. And the coffee-on-the-back-of-the-boat thing really is a good start to your day.
    Was it a struggle getting on the Moorgate train or the riverboat?
    I've just had a look at what you suggested... might be preferable to face in armpit journey!
    It wasn’t too bad, a bit cramped on that first leg but it’s only a ten minute journey to Moorgate and there’s a fair turnover at Finsbury Park and Highbury. The only question in my mind is whether Harringay or FP is the best one to go for. There was virtually no queue for the boat at London Bridge. You also have the option of going for Tower Bridge, but I think it’s a little further from Moorgate and one stop further away from your destination. I did notice that the queue for the boat at Waterloo/London Eye was massive when I got off there – I guess it’s all the Waterloo commuters wanting to get to the City/Canary Wharf whereas there are fewer east-west commuters trying to get on at London Bridge. I think the clipper is still a bit of a secret at the moment.
  • AliAli
    Seems like you should of got off at Kensal Rise and got the 52 bus Have a look at this <http://www.transportdirect.info/Web2/JourneyPlanning/JourneyDetails.aspx?cacheparam=5>; Or the Tfl planner uptick metro/tube services
    I walk bloody fast, and I'd be suprised if 1.5 hours is feasible for that journey.
    thanks for the route @Ali, I do almost that identical route to my work in Clerkenwell, except I go down Hanley Road then Hornsey Road. This takes you up Benwell Road where the road surface is enough to give you white-finger! I'll give the Drayton Park/St Thomas Road a go.
    I'm not sure about the walking route... google says it would take longer than that. I am tempted by the river boat option. I think the no 52 would be in gridlock traffic if last time is anything to go by.
  • AliAli
    Seems like quite a bit of the Tube is running a service with Finsbury Park open. It seems that the electronic status boards are also displaying which stations are closed so you can plan where to get out a bit better
    I got to work (at Warren Street) on the Victoria line. Had to get off at Euston as Warren Street is closed but it wasn't too bad at all.

I think that people must have assumed that it wasn't worth trying the tube, as both the platform and the train were noticably less crowded than usual.
    My attempt to get to Moorgate failed, they kicked us off at Hi&I. Managed to get the Victoria line to KX but then the train sat on the platform for an age, and we were informed that there were 'track problems' at Green Park which would delay things weven further. Walked to Westminster. Rubbish.
    Also, TFL's website can't make up its mind whether FP is closed or not.
    It was open at 8.30 this morning.
    I like the description on the TFL website of the Victoria Line operating a 'Special Service' today. Sounds lovely, do you get a free glass of Champagne and a pair of slippers when you climb on board?
  • AliAli
    No Champers I am afraid - Boris banned booze a while back !
    I had no problems at all getting to Westminster this morning. In fact it was much quieter than usual on the Vic Line. I haven't tried getting home yet, mind...
    @Ali - that's not stopped most people on a Saturday night...