Minoru Kawasaki

edited October 2006 in General chat
Did any one watch [Japanorama](http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/tv/japanorama/index.shtml) on BBC3 last night? Jonathan Ross doing his usual thing, but there was a great bit in there about Minoru Kawasaki, a Film Director, whose trilogy was inspired by his fathers Blowfish restaurant. The first film was [Calamari Wrestler]() where a pro-wrestler gets cancer and his anger at his own professional demise morphs him into a huge calamari which happens to be great at wrestling. Next up was [Executive Koala]() about a salaryman at a pickle company in Tokyo, basically a guy with a bear head on in a suit, and things turn sour. Finally, my favourite, [Crab Goalkeeper]() about a huge crab that hates working in a bar, but is very good at it due to his ability move sideways quickly, then one night a football manager comes in and spots his talent. Cue a sporting success story. Brilliant. Apparently the trilogy is about social acceptance. Who cares about plot holes and rotoscoping when you have oversized sporting molluscs?

Comments

• edited 6:15PM
    Is this a joke? And if it's not a joke, why don't we have these on DVD already?
  • edited October 2006
    Brilliant. Those trailers certainly suggest a Ronseal approach to film names. Crab footballer, Executive Panda and Squid Wrestler do exactly what they say on the tin. Executive Panda looks the best. A poignant look at the plight of the middle aged japanese salaryman human/panda cross. Whilst we're back on the recurrent theme of bizarre Asian cinema I'd like to recommend (again) the film "save the green planet". See the trailer. <http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/save_the_green_planet.html>;
  • edited October 2006
    Its a koala, not a panda. Apparently, they had the slogan in Japan of "psychoala" for the pitch. That film looks excellent.
    So finally got round to watching _Save the Green Planet_ last night. I thought it was great, not so sure what Petra thought. Favourite line: _"And how was I supposed to get in touch with you? He'd shaved my hair off!"_ or something like that. Slightly odd though in that it took various scenes from other films, notably the Keyser Soze style made up story from his immediate surroundings from Usual Suspects and the flash to white ending of the world from Last Night, as this is East borrowing West, normally its the other way round.
    And a brilliant cover of 'somewhere over the rainbow'
    There were several covers of it I think. the Punk one, but also a wierd opera-influenced one and another I think.
    This site used to be good.
    So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
    You should sell up to Haringeyonline
    If you wanted a site to discuss East Asian film you've rather shot yourself in the foot by calling it stroudgreen.org.
    Interesting point on the rights issue though. I know Andy and David built & run the site, but since its not profit making, and the community has bought into it over a sustained period, do you still have the right to shut it down? I mean, don't we have some kind of squatters rights? (ps. don't ban me!)
    Our inability to make a profit doesn't confer any rights on anyone.

As a test, you should try out your squatter's rights 'owned by the community' argument on Twitter and Facebook and see how you get on. If you can secure an equity stake in either of them, we'll sign the whole site over to you.

@tosscat- westegg.org?
    I dare say Twitter and Facebook members' lives wouldn't completely fall apart if said sites disappeared; not so with SG.org. Where's the humanity!
    That was Andy claiming the site 'used to be good' using my login. He's lost all his morals. I just don't know him anymore.
  • RegReg
    edited 6:15PM
    power corrupts