Stroud Geen is in Zone 3

2»

Comments

• IanIan
    edited 9:15AM
    And for others too young/old to remember I did beat ADGS to it: <http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/873/is-the-site/>;
  • edited 9:15AM
    Even when it was "01 for London", having an 01 272 (then 071, 0171, now 020 7) number used to make a difference if you wanted to pay your phone bill at the exchange in Crouch End. They would scrutinise the bill for several minutes, suggest that I should be going into "inner London" to pay it and finally calling a supervisor to show them how to manually enter it on the non-joined up system....
  • Thanks for the link Mrs. Annie. It makes me shit myself with laughter, which is why I have no friends. I missed the joke on lovely Ian's link but noticed that horrific, pretentious Rainbow Cranage had written something... I shit myself again, on purpose, like, just for the familar warmth and comfort of an
    old friend patting me on the backside. Ahhhh.
    I just know that it's zone 3 from a travel card zonethingy, but maybe on a psyhco-geographic tip it's more complex.
  • edited November 2010
    But it's not. Finsbury Park is your nearest tube. It is in Zone 2. I have a Zone 1-2 and I live in the north of SG. Your strange and repetitive insistance on this is very odd.
    If you worked in the City, Arky, it is more than likely that you'd 'move' to zone 3, as going out of Harringay would be far more convenient - highlights the silliness of the debate really.
    So if I get on a bus at Tesco to go to Muswell Hill I can use a zone 1-2 travel card?
    Any travelcard gives you unlimited buses in all zones.
    Wow! Amazing! Thanks for the information.
    Something not mentioned by the speaker at yesterday's talk, but which I read from one of the picture captions, was that Finsbury Park station was initially called Seven Sisters.
    The driver on the W7 bus concurs with David's theory that Fiveways crossing is a natural zone 2/3 border. I've given up caring now as I have no doubt that my house is in zone 2. Am somewhat dubious about whether or not I live in SG though,
    Well, I think the borders must have changed. I remember trying to get on a bus at FP station with a zone 1/2 travelcard and being refused, even though I just wanted to go two stops. The driver said the next stop along SGR road was in zone 3. This was about ten years ago, but the travelcard system has changed a lot since then.

I hardly ever use the bus to go up SGR as I like to walk and live about ten minutes from FP. I just use a pay-as-you go oyster as I cycle to work sometimes, so I'm unsure of zones (or changes to zones). I do know that Crouch Hill station is in zone 3.

My original point is that Stroud Green is not a suburb and not inner city. It occupies a transitory zone.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Erm, no, I've been here since 2000 and it's always been fill-your-boots-bus.
    Where the hell is Stroud Geen anyway?
    It's billiant, you should gro.
    It's not as comfortable as Couch Hill.
    That one is a fairly common predictive text foible, to the extent that it became the accepted form among some people I know. See also: Wobs for Xmas.
    In the early days of zones (and it probably does pre-date 2000) buses used to be affected by them. So if you wanted to go to thr trouble of finding an old map you could probably find out where the border was drawn. Mind you, the zone design used to be quite different too - I think the centre used to be zone 1 for west and zone 2 for east.
    Does the Borders bookshop still exist? I hope not. I recommend people go to Housemans at the bottom of Caledonian road near The Scala and Kings Cross old Thameslink station.

Borders change, go out of date. Maybe one day Korea and Ireland will be one nation. Zones change it seems. Maybe one day London will be one zone. One nation under a groove! George Clinton will be happy!
    I suspect that there are a quite a few SG'ers who shop at Houseman's. If you have children or have an interest in beautifully illustrated antiquarian children's books go to Marchpane in Cecil Court. They also have a lovely collection of rare 'Alice' ephemera, it's easy to lose a whole day in there. In fact if you've never been to Cecil Court go. It's a book lovers paradise.
    i love Cecil Court. An oasis in central London!
    @Dion : borders. Not Borders, borders. To be in Stroud Green you have to be on as many borders as possible: FP, CE; 0207/0208; zone 2/3 Haringey/Islington/Harringay; tall thin terraces, wide fat brown terraces; hoodies, yuppies. And of course the hotly debated Stroud Green border itself.
    @Duncan - What a fascinating way of looking at it. Thanks.
    @Duncan - er, I was alluding to the spelling mistake in the title, but I like your take on borders anyway.
    I touch type and it's handy but not very good for accuracy. I don't always check my posts before sending them which is very naughty of me. Hence the spelling mistake in the title. It's been a fascinating debate about Stroud Green/Stroud Geen's place on the zone map though.

When I mention it to many Londoners who don't live near here, they have no knowledge of the place. As Duncan mentioned, it does seem to occupy a very ambiguous place on the London map, bordering many boroughs, shifting notions of where SG really is and its diverse population (more so than in many other parts of London) from many races and classes However, as we see on this board many people's feelings towards the place are far from that.