Let's make SG a 'no plastic bag' zone

edited December 2010 in Local discussion
Here's a good intention for 2011 - let's make Stroud Green a plastic bag free zone.

I hate it when I go into a grocers to buy some piffling thing - a pint of milk for example - and they automatically put it in a plastic bag without even asking. No matter if I actually have an armful of bags already. And even a proper *shopping bag*. You have to get them to take it out again. Let's name and shame - my local food store does this all the time - but they are all the same.

It's pure ignorance.

Any ideas on how to achieve this?

Comments

• edited 11:37AM
    I'm with you!
    I have several ideas on how to achieve this, but given most of them are variants on the theme of 'brutal beatdowns for the gormless', I imagine the Safer Neighbourhood Team would object.
  • edited December 2010
    Some plastic bag figures. I got them off the Interweb and can't vouch for their accuracy:

# In the UK, banning plastic bags would be the equivalent of taking 18,000 cars off the roads each year
    # Between 500 billion and 1 trillion plastic bags are used worldwide each year
    # Approximately 60 - 100 million barrels of oil are required to make the world’s plastic bags each year
    # Most plastic bags take over 400 years to biodegrade. Some figures indicate that plastic bags could take over 1000 years to break down.
    # China uses around 3 billion plastic bags each day.
    # In the UK, each person uses around 220 plastic bags each year

Plus: plastic bags are crappy, irritrating and in poor taste.
    I take one of my selection of shopping totes out with me (even into town) if I'm likely to buy more than will fit in my handbag. I have a very nice canvas one emblazoned with ''Crouch End Shopping Bag', and would very much like an 'I love N4' bag. Can't actually remember the last time I used a plastic bag. I regularly see halfwit shoppers in Tesco putting individual things in separate plastic bags even though everything in there is already packaged up to the eyeballs. There should be a charge for every plastic bag in every shop as there is in Ireland (and in M&S).
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    That doesn't dissuade some of the Tesco cashiers from adding further to the giant drifts of bags which they accumulate in their bagging areas, in supposed readiness for some coming customer with infinite bag requirements, or else because the bags readied for any prior shopper will be scorned as filthy and unwanted by the next.
    The only way you can change behaviour and get rid of them is to stop them being available. Even when you pay for bags, people still do... because the amount is a token given the value of the shopping spend. Unless its a planned shop, you won't have a bag, so the shop needs to provide a solution....or needs to make it so that you never walk around without something that doubles as a carrier.

If you want a bigger issue, look at the amount of packaging for most products.....totally unnecessary. I for one HATE that supermarkets stopped selling fruit & veg loose...so now you buy more than you wanted, and add tonnes to landfill. Oh, and the stuff probably came from Africa on a 747 too.
  • edited December 2010
    @krs - if your internet facts are correct then the car saving represents less than 0.1% of the cars in the UK - is this really going to save the environment? Plastic bags really seem to be a token effort, but I suppose it all adds up. I'm with misscara, although very often the cashier doesn't listen and I have to repeat myself a number of times.
    My sister has taken to leaving surplus packaging in the shop. She can be a bit of a hippy on some matters, but I think she has the right idea here.

The idea that paying for bags isn't much deterrent is supported by the number of Lidl bags one sees about. That's a shop people are using in order to save money (although it's seldom actually cheaper, that's another story), and yet they're still OK with paying a few pence for the bags, such that it just becomes another earner for the store.
    I don't understand why people don't just take bags out with them. Even it's some mangy old carrier bag that you reuse it helps. If you've got as far as planning to leave the house to buy milk or whatever, it's not too much effort to pick up a bag on your way out. I do the dumping of packaging at the till point too although I don't ever buy fruit or vegetables in packaging.
  • edited December 2010
    I do agree a big part of getting rid of the use of plastic bags is down to our own personal effort. I just refuse them, so most of the small stores I use on SGR have got used to it and just ask me before reaching for the bags. In the supermarket I use my long life bag if I'm going down for a big shop. On the way back from work, if I'm picking up a few things I stuff them in my work bag but I have to admit there a few times when I don't have enough room I still get the odd plastic bag (but reuse and recycle them). I do think it's best to cut down or totally get rid of them but I can think of other things that are just as bad for the environment like long haul fights, over consumption etc that we're all too happy to do (if given the chance). However, we can try our best!

As someone who regularly visits the Republic of Ireland I realise policy is also important. There it's 20 cents a bag and as a result very few people ask for them now. A lot of the packaging boxes that the goods come to the supermarket in are available at the back of the store to transport your goods back home and many people use those cloth bags. In london, I think the problem with Lidl only having the policy of charging for bags (5 pence or so I think) is that a culture of refusal is not widespread.

I think leaving packaging for some low paid shop assistant or cashier to clean up just results in them thinking of the particular customer as a nuissance and isn't going to have an effect on long term policy concerning packaging. Maybe it would in a small shop especially if the owner or manager has to do it.
    Yeah, I just say "I don't need a bag" as I hand over my cash, that's always been enough in my experience. Maybe I have a massive Mr Noisy voice.
    My granny used to have a stash of carrier bags under the stairs too. It was like a history of the evolution of high street brand logos, quite interesting actually. Some of them dated back to the 70's!
    fair enough but some cashiers do not even ask you if you would like a bag, and when you ask for one they seem horrified! We should at least be given a choice.
    I think they are right to seem horrified, and should probably combine that expression with a rueful "Well, if you don't care about the polar bears..."
    Tosscat is right, plastic bags are insignificant in the big picture on the environment. Yes, they can be a distraction from the really important issues.

But what really depresses and irritates me about the whole plastic bag business is how it betrays a general level of ignorance, stupidity and lack of awareness among most small shopkeepers and quite a lot of their customers. More rubbish? Who cares! Another pointless bit of plastic? Why not!

What is needed is a general change of attitude. It would be so easy to stop expecting a plastic bag - but we won't. And if we can't get something as simple as that right, what hope is there for the really important issues like car use, energy consumption, air travel, population growth.......?
  • edited December 2010
    I just say I don't need a bag. Waitrose on Holloway Road has a plastic bag recycling bin which takes any old plastic bag, if you find yourselves with a surplus.
    Tesco also has a bag recycling bin just by the entrance.