Eggs

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• edited 10:12AM
    That's hilarious. People <i>steal</i> moral-correct free range eggs.
    This has happened to me when people have swapped stick on bar codes and I've ended up with the more expensive item. Check your bill. On a related note, the management of the Sainsbury's seem determined to force the customers to use autocheck-out. When I ask them if they intend to pay me to do there job for them they get rather shirty. All the staffed tills now have papers and bags on them.How long before this facility is removed? This is a shop charging inflated prices for convenience service and then taking away the convenience! How very profitable. Every little helps.
    you don't have to go there.
  • edited January 2011
    How do you tell the difference between the eggs? Are they stamped differently? More importantly - is it easy to carry out this scam without any of the Tesco staff spotting you? :-)
    I really regret getting Sainsbury .... don't we all?
    andy- I don't have to go there. It just happens to be my closest store. Customers don't have to let themselves be herded to the DIY tills, I don't have to make make comments on my local website. This is choice and I thought that is what our glorious consumer based capitalism is all about.
    While slippery slope predictions are always a fun way to add some sense of momentum to an outrage or panic, I can't see how Sainsbury's would get rid of the staffed tills when those are the only way to sell fags and lottery.
    Free-range eggs have a code beginning 1UK on them. I always check for this when buying them to make sure that shop-keepers haven't swapped them about.
    I usually buy my free range eggs at the Convenience Store on SGR as it's just under a minute from me and the eggs are 99p. I must check for the code in future as you never know. I would say the eggs are not as good quality and smaller than the free range ones at Tesco. However, they're 50 pence cheaper than there.
    Picking up another topic mentioned on here. I was walking by Sainsburys Local SGR this afternoon and noticed it was deserted. I see fewer and fewer people shopping there. Maybe people are voting with their feet. Surely free market economics will take over and they will reduce their prices.
    It is not as expensive as the convenience stores for most things, but generally 20-30% more on most items compared to Tesco.

Back to another point mentioned before about someone regretting Sainsbury's coming to SGR. I don't as it's nicer than Woodys, although I do miss some of the products Woodys sold. The customer service is a lot better too . I tend to prefer self-service tills and they're fairly prompt if you have a probelm or if you need confirmation of age when buying alcohol. However, I understand the frustration if you prefer to not use self-service and they herd you into one. Tesco's self-service system is usually very bad and you can wait minutes for attention if you need confirmation of age or have a probelm and I've been nearly cursed at for asking for help. It's best only used if you're not buying alcohol and it's a fairly small shop.
    It's not just booze, any Item can set off the bizarrely temperamental Tesco self-service tills - and as you say, you're then left standing there for ages until a staff member deigns to stop talking to their mate and sort it out.
    (That's at quiet times. At busy times the staff members are at least legitimately busy. There may be a golden mean time when they are present but alert - if so, I have yet to find it)
  • AliAli
    edited 10:12AM
    Taff Every little helps is the Tescos tag line. I agree the eggs in the convenince store are okay and loads cheaper, the butcher ones further up the road are good very large and quite often have double yolks and I think are 6 for a quid
    It's much easier being abusive to a self-service check-out. They don't talk back or threaten to call the police so much.
    I see the Hornsey Journal's report about the Stroud Green Tesco eggs debate (p3 today) has 'Finsbury Park residents' flooding a local internet site with complaints.

Should we all drop a line to HJ pointing out that we are not 'Finsbury Park residents'?

Do they perchance feel threatened by 'Stroud Green Org''?
    We could, if we don't mind looking like utter dicks given that by normal geographical definitions many of us do live in Finsbury Park. What next, touchy Brownswood Park pride?
    The headline has an interesting angle on the morality of the crime. It's not exactly a starving orphan stealing a hunk of bread, is it?
    Hilarious.

We should start making stories up to see if the Islington Gazette will carry them.
    They need something which, albeit for the most tenuous value of the word, is news. 'Dog does poo, oaf fails to clean up' doesn't qualify. That said, the Lynne picture is at least as convincing as the online photoshops which got the Raoul Moat Grand Theft Auto story in the national press...
    You're famous Misscara! Quoted in the Islington Gazette no less!
    ...we "flooded a local website with comments"?
    Would this egg scam mean that the expensive for cheap eggs are now poached?
  • LizLiz
    I don't think it's the first time the Gazette has turned threads from this forum into 'news' (and possibly the Hornsey Journal too - Andy might be able to confirm/deny). Really spectacularly lazy.
    It's increasingly common. Old media - not to be trusted, always stealing content. It's like those ads you see at the cinema.

YOU WOULDN"T STEAL A CAR. YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A HANDBAG. YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A STORY OFF A WEBSITE.
  • IanIan
    I look forward to the lazy, thieving 'journalist' from the Islington Gazette running a story saying "internet site flooded with complaints about local newspaper stealing quotes, refusing to attribute stories and failing to check with people whether they can use their quote". I won't, as the saying goes, hold my breath.
    Un œuf of this silly thread.