Dog shit

edited January 2011 in Local discussion
Our street used to be free of dog shit because dog owners cleared up after them. Now a family has moved in who let their dogs crap everywhere. Suddenly the pavements are loathsome. What's best to do? Is this something for the community police?

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Ask them to clear it up.
  • edited 10:35PM
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Shit in their garden yourself.
    I have never had a dog (since I left my parent's home about 20 years ago), but I presume that people who have dogs around here have downstairs flats or live in houses with access to gardens. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but I see it as a bit anti-social and cruel that people would consider having a dog without having some sort of garden so it can go out and shit in it a few times a day instead of having to wait until the evening to bring it out to shit on the street or in a park. I wouldn't mind having a cat but as I don't have access to garden I wouldn't consider it as I don't see it as right.
    Contact the Safer Neighbourhoods Team to have a word on your behalf.
    Celebrate the fact you don't live in Oxford Rd. They really suffer.
    If you don't feel your neighbours can be approached directly, the council deals with dog fouling. I know Haringey Council's site has a specific page about it with a number to call so presumably Islington Council's does as well.
    Thanks all. Was of course tempted to gather it up and leave it on their front doorstep, but thought better of it. Get the impression they won't respond to a polite request, so...council first, then Safer Neighbourhoods Team.
    Hanley road is the equivalent of a doggy friendly toilet, kind folk sometimes put their doggy doo into Likkle doggy poo bags and put it into MY BIN!!!!!
    Surely unless they're such monster poos that you can't then fit in your own rubbish, a bin is a fairly good place for them?
  • edited January 2011
    Here's Haringey Council's page on the subject:

http://is.gd/k985X

- I see you're advised not to approach offending dog-owners directly, makes sense.

And here's a downloadable leaflet you can put through letterboxes:

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/clean_up_after_your_dog.pdf
    I can see the logic, but it's still depressing that they advocate leaflets through the door in the dead of night as against actually talking to people.
    maybe you could use the cattle-prod to shock the rudeboy pricks I see walking around with massive dogs not on a leash bounding down the road. When I see this it's usually me fouling the pavement... And to be fair it is usually on Oxford road as my girlfriend lives there , so I am sorry Misscara if you have stepped in mine.
    @misscara I know, there is always lots of shit spread along UTP from Nando's down to Oxford Rd and right up to the park. If it's fresh in the morning, it's spread by the evening. Maybe the leaflets could be taped to lamposts?

I can see why hughpear was tempted to introduce reciprocal shit arrangements whereby shit is left immediately outside the offender's gate. This is a similar thing to when you're on the bus and someone's 'sharing' their music out loud so that you can't even hear your own music through earphones - you're tempted to reciprocate with a few decibels of your own choice of music. It could all turn nasty though.
    I still think putting little yellow flags in the poo and then making a fuss and getting the photographer from the Hornsey Journal down to take a picture might have a bit of impact.

Or collect it all up into one giant pile and invite one of the local councillors down to take a look?

Could the council be sued under health and safety legislation for alloowing a health risk in the streets? After all, if I were to drop my trousers and deliver one in Oxford Road I'd very soon end up in the slammer. The council ought to be held repsonsible for not enforcing the same thing against so called 'animal lovers' whose trouserless canines do the same.
  • edited January 2011
    <a href="http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1883/massivepoo.jpg">Hornsey Journal can have this for free</a>
  • edited January 2011
    Misscara, did Four Eyes say anything about wine prices?
  • edited January 2011
    Oh, forgot to mention that they let their dogs roam free so they come and crap in my front garden as well as everywhere else. Anyway, here's the official response of the relevant council officer:

"Thank you for your e-mail regarding the issue of dog fouling in your area.

In the past we have distributed leaflets in the surrounding streets advising residents of the consequences of being fined if they allowed their dogs to foul on the public highway.

We have also carried out joint patrols with the local police safer neighbourhood teams and spoken to any dog owners seen.

Street Enforcement Officers can only take action if they actually witness a dog owner allowing their pet to foul the pavement. The officer for the area will monitor the situation during his normal patrols and will take action if he catches dog owners not clearing up after their pets."

- And the chances of that happening are....?