YES YES YES - Royal Wedding Joy!?*&$! – SG Street Party plan boost anticipated

Yes! I’m sure many of you are in high excitement over the wedding of Prince William and Luscious Lil. The Tollington family are beside themselves with glee as is the congregation at St Mark’s. There is a day off on Friday 29 April - and I can assure you the weather will be good. As the wedding is in the morning, come 1pm everyone will want to celebrate all afternoon in the tradition of a street party. Children will want to dress up as Ethelred the Unready or Zara Phillips. Adults will have other interests but the emphasis will be on jollity and fried food.

The last one of these gigs was Fergie and Andy. And what a wash out that was.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0wF7ZtPFW4

This time folks, we hope for better, and W&C are at least better looking than A&F and occasionally wear baseball hats etc which proves that the classless society has arrived . So come on, get knitting your bunting and planning local excitements. There is a guide to trouble-free street parties on the government website.

We are hoping to get council agreement to close Tollington Park Road for the day for an extended rave. Lorne Road, Regina road are already to be closed. Various hairdressers have promised to donate hair cuts to competition winners. If you have other plans, and – as we do – want to spread the fun, please tell all.

TT

Comments

• edited 1:13PM
    No thanks.
    http://www.republic.org.uk/Get%20Involved/Join%20Republic/index.php
    No way! How about an anti-monarchy party at the Stapleton? I'm up for that!
    argh. the stapleton is the venue for the Princess Margaret charity egg and spoon race. Come an join in the fun.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/2814588/Prince-William-is-SuBo-fan.html
    Now Tom, I'm not generally one for Americanisms but... Seriously? Are you for real?
    No! No! No! I am going abroad if at all possible.
    Me too, just trying to decide where.
    I've already booked to meet someone in Ireland.
    He's in Manchester that weekend.
    I'm unfortunately washing my hair that day.
    A chap I know is cashing in on this farrago by putting out a commemorative comic. Sadly, I've not had any comparable ideas myself. On the plus side, at least it's less expensive than the thrice-cursed Olympics.
    Tollington Tom you are easily my favourite SG.org contributor. Try and create a circuit of closed roads and do a carnival with floats.
  • edited January 2011
    I'm game for some form of republican counter-celebration. One where we sit in the pub and watch the wedding, which we heckle whicle secretly enjoying it.
    I'll come to that Arkady. I might have to be poked with a sharp stick if I accidently start cooing about the frocks, and the flowers, and the carriages, and the tiaras between heckles.
  • IanIan
    edited 1:13PM
    I can't make it - I'm getting my hair cut that day.
  • I can't make it either, I'm stabbing some poor people that day
  • AliAli
    edited 1:13PM
    100 days to go !
    Luscious Lil? What?
    @TollingtonTom: not sure where this proposed junket will take place? We have a Tollington Park, and a Tollington Road, but there's no Tollington Park Road that I'm aware of...and maybe that's what happens to our mail...
    My mistake - it's Tollington Park between the two churches St Marks and St Meltius which will be doing special events whether or not the council approves the road closure. It's a busy street but they have been helpful and obviously want it to be a happy community event and SGR is out for obvious reasons and it is in two councils.

I'm hoping some of the republican friends on here will come and do stand up after the disco. They should perhaps get out more....? (say it with a rising inflection a la Kylie).

If you have kids get in touch as we are organising sports and games for the afternoon. Bunting optional, smiles essential.

The over 60s Kate-Look-Alike competition should be fun too, the SGR wig shops are doing a special discount for 'Kate locks' .

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/showbiz/article-23420403-kate-middleton-ogles-hunks-in-trunks-at-chinawhite-nightclub.do

Perhaps that Old Corporation of Stroud Green club can be revived for one night for a royal knees up?
    The Mayor and Corporation of __the Republic of__ Stroud Green should take over the Stapleton and make it a wedding-free zone that weekend. I'm reasonbly sure that there's a market for this. I used to think I was the only person not watching Diana's wedding or funeral when every TV and radio on my road was blaring out vows or Elton John. It sounds like there's more out there of the same mind.
    I'm with you there, Lady Beadle.
    @wisteria - I might ask in the Stapleton about that...
    I'm not really a republican, I just find the current batch of royals incredibly boring and middle class. Like Charles, not doing a big ceremonial church wedding because of the divorce and the public objecting and blah blah blah. The only reason the Church of England even exists is so that royals can work around divorces, you wuss! Remind the Archbishop of Canterbury of this, demand the biggest wedding EVER, and if any Express columnists object, use their intestines for streamers at the reception. William used to have a certain ephebe quality which marked him out as a possible return to form, but now he just looks like an arse you'd find in a Chelsea bar I've completely lost interest. And getting married so young! He should be abusing his position and shagging actresses and models all over the shop like proper monarchs used to.
    Royal wedding? WHAT royal wedding? Or perhaps I just read the wrong papers -- Morning Star, Proletarian, Lalkar... . Maybe the idea of a trip abroad instead is a good one. I might plump for Cuba, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, or even Lichtenstein (where the national anthem is the same as 'ours' and where the royals are, like 'ours', a bunch of in-bred German toffs. Difference is, no-one's ever heard of them and none of them is getting hitched). One is busy and must now say 'toodle-pip', what?
    I see the price of toiletries in Cuba recently went up seven-fold on account of the ruling dynasty implementing a series of cuts that make Osborne look like Father Christmas. Definitely puts our 2.5% VAT rise into perspective.
    @TollingtonTom: what was that about Lorne Rd and Regina Rd being closed on the day of the Royal Wedding? Are you sure?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited January 2011