Royal Wedding Road Closures

13»

Comments

• edited 8:32AM
    I thought it looked like it had been copy and pasted from a dissertation. So, will it make you a doctor or summat?
    Misscara, we did talk about possibly meeting Arky next week while we were eating our haggis. We should probably whisper though as I don't suppose anyone is remotely interested in our social arrangements. I'm very much looking forward to seeing who can drink who under the table, I know who my money's on!
    @sincers - don't kid yourself, my dissertation is on an entirely different and narrow topic. If you'd like to talk about modernist vs ethnosymbolist theories of ethnogenesis in Anatolia I would be happy to bore you to tears. @Misscara - I recall only one, bereavement-related 'bottling out', but rest assured I am eager for the gathering. Miss Annie to advise. Credence for the authoritive shout of 'fact'. We shall see. I have been trapped in the Midlands for a week and am literally *gasping* for a return to Stroud Green. I'm sure Stroud Green reciprocates. Maybe we can WLM it, I'm stone broke.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Charteris Road now keen to join in the street party, the Park pub are going to extend their excellent beer garden right over to Vitors and as the street is almost a cul-de-sac the permissions are easier than Tollingon Park (and C&D were already complaining their perm business would be down...spoil sports). Anyway, aside from all these bad CSE essays on political thought, those of us who like a game of darts and a quick patriotic drink with the kids should be gearing up for a lovely afternoon on wedding friday. Can't wait!!!!
    CSE? I've rather enjoyed the discourse so far. It's infinitely preferable to yet another post about hair, street parties, and flumps.
  • edited January 2011
    Hey, listen. Take a deep breath. I always like to try and see the good side of life and cross to the sunny side of the street with my glass half full (but look out for those awful drivers in Lorne Road!) . When you have done so (take a breath, cross to the sunny side. etc etc), this is what I recommend .

Go back to your abode, no matter what temptations are around. Open the window and shutters with real vigour. Remove any clothing from the top half of your body. Close your eyes. Open your mouth slowly combing your hair gently. And then, fixing your eyes on the passing public or any cats and dogs etc, exclaim (slowly) with sonorous meaningful coloratura these magic three words: ‘ I....AM...FLUMP...’ Then ring for a pizza.

This technique is a prefect stress-buster and Dorcas and I once did it simultaneously after a long anxious drive from a car boot sale in Barnet.
    Sensational results every time.
  • Hmmm, innit interesting how SG.org usernames can conjure up images?  TollingtonTom, for example, provokes for me the idea of a 10-quid-per-hour children's entertainer with a dodgy hard drive. Must be all the talk about Flumps and nurseries and street parties -- some folks will do anything to entertain kiddies, after all. 

I'm being facetious as usual. I'm sure he's not a clown, really. I'd wager that in reality TollingtonTom is a decent, upstanding and reliable person; fully vetted and with an up-to-date CRB.  

He must certainly look smart.  With all his talk about hairdressing, he sounds no stranger to grooming.

Bless ya, TollingtonTom. 
    I got a little bit lost in all the posts. This thread came up when i queried royal wedding - still cant find any answers whether we are having any street parties in the area?
    @margolada - gosh you did fall down the wrong rabbit hole. Why don't you look up Islington recycling next?
    ShaunG - yeah, maybe, just as you ... basically that thread came up when i typed in royal wedding in the search machine ...
  • AliAli
    edited 8:32AM
    so are there any street parties around here ? It's not here but this looks like it would be a laugh <http://pattaya-times.com/images/en/7043.gif>;
    I'm potentially having a barbeque at mine for pals who want to either celebrate or ignore the festivities. There is some talk of fancy dress - I will be wearing a tiara at the very least, (at least one member of this forum will be wearing a wedding dress!) and flag waving will be encouraged.
    Annie - don't play down the fabulous event that will be The Stroud Green Knitters & Drinkers Royal Wedding Bank Holiday Bender.

Misscara will be seen out and about on the day in her wedding dress possibly a bit worse for wear?
    Oh ok... It's going to be a once in a lifetime extravaganza! I'm really looking forward it. Can't wait for Misscara's rendition of 'It could have been me'.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I did find this on Islington Council site:

So far Islington has approved six applications for Royal Wedding parties, five in streets and a sixth in a park. Other events which don't involve closing streets or parks are taking place in local estates, schools, homes, businesses and gardens.
    Hmmm looks like Perth Rd is closed too, so maybe something is happening around the Fullback.
    If the weather stays like this, it will be great. I might have missed it above, but what street parties are going ahead? Are the Fullback putting something on?
  • edited April 2011
    Not the Fullback organising it, it's some residents (we got a note through the door). Not sure it's very highly organised - it's on a "bring along some food and drink" basis. But if it goes ahead I daresay the Fullback will complement nicely whatever happens outdoors.
    how do you attend a street party: is it ok to just turn up? thinking of going to the perth road one, sounds like a laugh...
    Same here. Fullback/Street Party combo sounds like a great way to spend the day.