Victorian stair spindles

AliAli
edited February 2011 in Local discussion
Does anyone know of a local wood turner who may be able to copy a couple of broken stair spindles ?

Comments

• edited 9:36AM
    Have you tried having a chat with the guys at Thomerson's woodyard in Crouch End (Middle Lane). They stock a selection of spindles, and if they don't have what you need I'm sure they could point you in the right direction. They really are most helpful.
    Ali - we had some spindles replaced over the summer, they look fantastic! I'll dig out the contact details of the fellas we used and report back.
  • Local carpenter Neil (behind Dairy) can almost certainly advise 07977 314090
    Baluster surely?
    Spindle or baluster is acceptable although spindle is more widely used - in this country at least. I use baluster for metal ones and spindle for wood.
  • AliAli
    edited 9:36AM
    Thank you Miss Annie, Miss Clack and Krappy. Investigations at Thomerson's woodyard seem to indicate we have the London design. And they have them for £3 each which I thought was pretty good. Spindles come in sizes which are slightly bigger that ours ie we seem to have 28 mm while the smallest is 32mm so a bit of cutting of the square bit will be need to get in the hole but it will look okay. A job for the weekend