Up the junction: Tollington Park and Evershot Rd traffic light hell

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=regina+road+n4&rlz=1I7SVEA_enGB352&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

It must be almost 3 months since the traffic lights at Fonthill Road/Tollington Road have been in a total mess and there has been no sign of workmen for at least a month.

Can anyone shed a light on this?

Complaints please to londonstreets@tfl.gov.uk 0r 0845 305 1234

Comments

• edited 7:02AM
    yes thank you. (intersting website)
    i wrote to tfl who blame islington council who don't answer the phone.
    who is the Cllr for the area, perhaps that is a better route.

TT
    My experience has been that, perhaps because of the roadworks giving the impression of narrowing the road, drivers are actually being more cautious and well-mannered than they were when there were lights. When I first heard this theory of driver behaviour, which I believe some European cities have adopted quite enthusiastically, I thought it sounded impossibly utopian, but I'm beginning to reconsider.
    I'd wondered about this to, and the answer I've got back from TfL suggests it's a bit of a murky story:

"When works began, occupants of a nearby property were observed to be using the signalised pedestrian crossing points to access an area of hard-standing. One instance resulted in damage being caused to the signals, and several live cables were left exposed. If the traffic signals were operational at the time, these cables would be live at mains voltage and a serious hazard to pedestrians. As a result, it became necessary to cease works and we contacted LB Islington to request that a physical barrier be installed to the footway to prevent the pedestrian crossing being further used as an access point.

"I can confirm that LB Islington recently repositioned some road signage to block vehicular access to the property, but before the concrete could set, the pole was removed. Islington will now need to revisit the site and have agreed to use ‘Rapid set’ concrete this time round. As soon as this takes place, we can instruct Serco to finalise the works at this junction."
    The amount of faff, cost and inconvenience to others that can be caused by one person's selfish behaviour. It's irritating that public authorities have to work round it rather than just stopping the person doing it. Similar to the threatened cricket. This sort of thing brings out the illiberal grouch in me.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I still don't understand why it has taken months to complete the junction. Resolving the live wire problem could have taken 24 hours if the relevant people had the will to do so. It makes me angry every time I have to cross the junction to get to the children's centre on TP because it is very dangerous.