Petek or Sugar Lounge?

edited March 2011 in Local discussion
I'm going out for dinner tomorrow night with an old friend. We want plenty of nice booze, good food with veg options, a relaxed atmosphere so we don't feel rushed. I was about to book Petek's then thought about the Sugar Lounge. I've never eaten there and wondered what you think of the food. There's been plenty of comment on the noise and the special events but I can't find any food/general service reviews. Should I try Sugar Lounge or stick with Petek's?

Comments

• edited March 2011
    The food at the Sugar Lounge is excellent and good value - you get loads for your money. But the focus in meze - Petek is better for big main courses. On the other hand, SL is better for drinks. Superb cocktails.
  • edited March 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2:09AM
    Thanks Arkady, that's exactly the decisive comment I was after. I think we'd prefer meze anyway. Looking forward to the cocktails.
  • IanIan
    edited 2:09AM
    Ate at Sugar Lounge once. Meat was over cooked and poor quality. Never been back.
    Hi everyone; we would like to say that we are doing our best to make a good atmospher with good Turkish food / meze and grills and yummy cocktails at the sugar lounge. It is something we are proud of as the whole sugar lounge staff. If you did have a bad experience please come back to us and try again; Let us prove we have come a long way since we have opened as a restaurant. We appreciate your business as well as comments. The sugar lounge is quite versatile restaurant for any events. We always try to rectify what might have been not as good as you expected. The sugar lounge is large, comfortable with big tables and cusions and good food and drinks. Hope to see you soon for a trial. any complaints; come and see me please. :-)
    Bee, I think that you certainly highlighted the splendiferousness of Sugar Lounge as a venue by hosting the literary evening there. The back room is a beautiful setting for special events and I'll second Arky's comments about the cocktails.
  • KazKaz
    Had a small meal at the Sugar Lounge the other day and it was lovely and good value. And as I didn't stumble in there drunk late at night, I realised it's actually a rather nice place for a casual meal! Must try more often.

@Ian- did you complain? I've done my fair share of waitressing, and if the meat is overcooked and you tell someone, all decent places will happily take it back and give you a new meal! Nobody is perfect, chefs and waiters get it wrong on occasion. The bad quality is a different story though, to be fair.

@Miss Annie - is splendiferousness an actual word? I like it! Either way.
  • edited March 2011
    Bee, thanks for your co-operation in taking in the chairs and generally keeping the noise down. With spring hopefully approaching soon could you make sure you have someone on the door at the weekend from 10 or 11 pm onwards as some of your customers can get extremely loud when they're outside in crowds, especially when the weather is nice. A good door person can intervene in a friendly way. Myself and the other neighbours around your bar would really appreciate this.

It's nice to see that you have a good choice for vegetarians at your bar and I must pop in again in the near future to try out something from your menu. Maybe even try one of your much talked about cocktails.
    @Kaz I'm not sure, if it's not it should be. I like it because it sounds like something Mary Poppins might say.
  • IanIan
    To be fair we should give it another go - it was quite early on and I appreciate things get better.
    Well, I had dinner at the Sugar Lounge on Friday and the food was very good. The meze portions were generous and my favourite dish was the satsuka. The cocktails are very strong - the daquiri was better than the French martini. Also the service was very friendly and the atmosphere just right. We left before the belly dancing so I can't comment on that. Recommended for a quiet early dinner or a later more lively experience.
    I had a margarita at the Sugar Lounge that was so weak I thought it must be a member of the Royal Family. John, owner of Petek's, makes them so strong that I end up feeling like Attila the Hun. Ho hum.
  • Sugar lounge everytime. But maybe not for a family outing. Chang
  • last time i was in the sugar lounge (2 months ago) there were bare unpainted walls and water coming out of the roof of the toilet, if that's the care they pay to the venue then it doesn't really inspire confidence in the food.<br>
  • Slats, they've been re-decorating, so the bare walls had probably just been stripped ready for new wallpaper.  I haven't been in there for a couple of months myself, but last time I was there they were part were through and it was beginning to look lovely.
  • I've eaten in the Sugar Lounge many times and it's always been very nice. Never had any cause to complain. The re-decorating is well under way now.<br>