Best Chinese?

edited April 2009 in Local discussion
We've done curry and pizza to death, but no-ones ever come out strongly for any of the local chinese places. I'm talking proper, old-skool Chinese takeout. Spring rolls and crispy duck and egg fried rice. So for the purposes of this discussion, I'm excluding Dotori and sushi. Anyone got strong views or recommendations for takeaway or delivery?

Comments

• edited April 2009
    All the SGR ones are bloody awful - even when hammered they were inedible. The Dragon in CE is okay, the Honeymoon is Boy George's farourite Chinese restaurant.
  • edited April 2009
    I concur with TC. Never again will I dare to sample the Chinese food on SGR. Yes, I was hammered.

Thaitanic (yes, I know) in CE is good and it delivers.
  • edited 1:22PM
    Don't tell me your faith in Fonthill's dirtiest is fading, Andy?
    Rong Hua City on Blackstock road is pretty good.

Agree the ones on sgr are all terrible, especially the one next to the dairy and the one near the car wash.
    agreed, it's all pretty hopeless around SGR.
  • FinFin
    edited 1:22PM
    I used pick up from Mei May Wok (might have that 'Mei' & 'May' the wrong way round) on the way home from late shifts a few years ago. Was perfectly acceptable for simple beef in oyseter sauce type dishes and the crispy duck was decent enough too. Not brilliant but tasty enough if you have a hankering for Chinese.
    i couldn't disagree more (although i do get the mei and may in varkous orders) it's utter crap.
    "varkous" is going to be my word of the day
    There's one I keep meaning to try on Hornsey Road, but I never get around to it as my experience is the same as everybody else's - all so far have been rubbish
    My spelling's always been rubbish.
    Silver Palace off Blackstock Road delivers round here. I find it variable but it's very cheap. Good crispy duck, tofu and chow mein dishes, but the beef is ropey. They do mainly Chinese but also have a Thai section of the menu.
    Penang Express on Turnpike Lane 020 8342 8388 will deliver to Stroud Green - recommended Singapore Laksa and also very good crispy duck with pancakes; other Chinese dishes all fine.
    the chinese place on wood green high road, just north of shopping city with the red sign and the name only given in cantonese is fantastic, i wish they delivered.

their 3 roast meat with boiled rice is one of my favouritest ever things, can't find better in chinatown.
    Great tips guys. Thanks - I will start working my way through them.
    Going to give Penang Express a try tonight - I need a sweet and sour king prawn ball.
    Listen the Llaksa at Penang Express is to die for if you have a flu, get extra sambal, plus Mei does pretty great food ( she is a friend )
    oh no - i just placed my order. is the llaksa veggie?
    Having tried and rejected all the dreadful chinese take-aways in our neighbourhood (Mei May Wok on SGR, and the ones on Hanley and Fonthill), we ordered a meal from [Silkmaker](http://hungryhouse.co.uk/silkmaker) on Tottenham Lane tonight: We thought it was excellent overall and so will be ordering from there in future. Has anybody else discovered a decent chinese that delivers to this area?
    No - have been consistently disappointed. Will try Silkmaker.
    I like Lee Garden on Hornsey Rd, the food isn't wildly exciting but they do good standard dishes like Chow Mein, Beef in oyster sauce etc. They deliver though I think you need to spend more than £10 for it to be free.
  • AliAli
    Sounds like Miso wasn't much worse than the rest !
    Yes, Silk Maker is great - have been using them for a few years. Ordered from them just last night through Just Eat and wrote a little note suggesting that they add a veggie version of their Hunan sauce dish to the online menu. They popped a complimentary beancurd version in for us! Terrific service. The food keeps well, too... last night's leftovers went down very nicely indeed an hour ago. Might get another plateful in a minute...
    Jade palace is always good, but for the local Chinese take away, silver palace, Yings and lees garden are good. But a little gem is 'holy' on holloway rd, near crystals kebab takeaway.
    Had Silk Maker tonight for the first time. Ace! Enough food for the rest of the week too. Yum.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RoyRoy
    I've never been a fan of Chinese food - I think I was put off by an experience with horribly slimy tofu many years ago - but I am beginning to learn that it *can* be really good.

I had a really good aubergene in spicy black bean sauce dish in Cambridge and then again a really good similar dish in Whitby.

So I now know there's at least one Chinese dish I like, although I still wouldn't consider going to a Chinese unless it comes recommended.

-roy
  • AliAli
    Just Eat is quite entertaining. You order on line then in most cases around here the restaurant gets a phone call from them and looses a bit of margin. I think it would better if you kept the menu from the last time or know if your going to get something from a particular place call direct so giving the takeaway a bit more margin making them just that little bit more viable . I wonder how much new business it drives vs simple substitution of an order they would have got anyway. Though looking at the Just Eat site I was surprised at the number of different types of restaurants that will deliver to N4 so it certainly can give you a much wider choice and looks a lot more attractive than the rubbish flyers that come through the door. I guess using this service as a provider you could set you up quite cheaply as you could almost do it in your kitchen and get them to drive the business to you. I wonder what checks they do? Maybe someone should tell the wee Caribbean place at the bus station. I prefer the strategy of going to get it as it guarantees a pint is a pub while waiting !
    A little word of warning re Silk Maker - wouldn't recommend the sweet and sour balls (I know, they're dirty, but I love them). They were inedible sadly. But other stuff quite good, so would still go back.
    Also - has anyone tried Wing Wah?