St Patrick's Day

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• edited 8:25PM
    Definitely not venturing out to celebrate! Lots of the kids (and some of the mothers) outside Christ the King school on Tollington had their hair dyed green and were wearing shamrock badges this morning. It was very festive for 8.30am, I was impressed at the effort they'd put in.
    At work in Victoria at 6:30 a very loud Irish man serenaded the streets of SW1 with The Vengaboys' "Vengabus". Although I don't remember the lyrics to the Vengabus being "I'll break your fucking ankle"...
    Tried to go for a milkshake with my paramour earlier, except the Shakeaway in the Angel's wings is inexplicably closed. So, young innocent that she is, she suggested we try a pub instead. That went predictably well.

By 8 I was walking on SGR and saw three hammered revellers trying to hail a cab - whose light wasn't even on - and nearly getting run over by the not-exactly-inconspicuous car in front of it. Really, the only option for outings on Twat Hat Day is a Sam Smith's or other resolutely Guinness-free pub. And even then you tend to get a few morons in who fail to grasp that concept, loudly.
  • RoyRoy
    edited 8:25PM
    Wow, is St Patrick's day causing public disorrder a London thing? I would never have considered it to be of any great significance in this country. Certainly not a day that's ever been on my radar.

-roy
  • edited March 2011
    St. Patrick's Day has, as I'm sure many of you know, turned into a Guiness sponsored, twat in a tacky hat promotion.

Fight outside the sugar longue tonight involving broken bottles.

But as an Irish blooded, English born, English hearted man? you probably realise that it celebrates the introduction of Christianity onto a pagan populace, and I would say I'm pagan. Pagan roots probably, hence the intoxication thingy.

It has given older Irish people a sense of identity, especially in harder times of 'no dogs, no Irish...'.

It's to my elders and the people who worked their rocks off I say

'Happy Patricks Day'.
    Guinness at Stapleton, wine, food and cider at Nobel. No sign of any commotion outside Sugar Lounge. A fine St Patrick's.
  • RoyRoy
    Well, I'm not surprised that it involves Guiness running drinks promotions. I'm just rather astonished that it involves people attacking each other with broken bottles.

I don't recall anything like this ever happening in Cambridge although it could well be that I'm just so out of touch that I failed to notice, I guess....

-roy
    Willm, I live by sugar lounge. A fight broke out over an hour ago for a few minutes. How could you notice it if you weren't here? QED.
    And Willm, if you don't believe me, ask the staff at Porchetta. They were phoning the police.
  • edited March 2011
    I think the STroud GrEEn Org massive were brawling tonight outside the suGar LounGe. Probably over where is the best meal on SGR or who is the friendliest shopkeeper. It got nasty after all the mix of wine, stout and cider.

Good job most SGorgers don't have kids. Fights over the best schools outside the Noble might ensue.
    The irony about St Patrick's day is that Guinness is an English-owned brand.
  • AliAli
    I think you right about the Nobel and schools especially secondary ones but it would not be an argument about which are best but how on the earth when you live in SG how to get into them. Most people either go private or unfortunately leave
    What's the number of primary school vs secondary pupils in the borough?
    Sincers, to be fair St Patrick's Day was a big deal long before Guinness got on the marketing bandwagon. SG should count itself lucky that Guinness hasn't tried to push the tacky [Arthur's Day](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur's_Day) idea over here yet.
    Apparently Jack Daniels do a similar 'founders day' type thing. Can't see that taking off here.
  • AliAli
    Mir Within Haringey Borough I think the nearest secondary school to SGR is either HighGate Woods or Hornsey girls. Both are 6 year schools. The nearest school to SGR is AIMS in Islington which has poor reputation, declining roll numbers and is only a 4 year school. If you have boys your choices are pretty poor hence people who have the ability to do so move. There are lost more Primaries than Secondary. I think average Primary is about 350 while secondary is 1200
    Twat Hat Day has definitely been getting worse these last few years. It used to be merely irksome, but I think the marketing has stepped up a gear in order to make it actively dangerous.
  • Misscarnal: If Four Eyes said there was a riot, he's being histrionic, cos I was there when he was. Utter fucking prejudiced bollocks, more like. (not Four Eyes). No riot in the White Lion. Not going to elaborate on this cos it's fucking me off big style. Disgraceful shenanigans. Jesus. Don't care where you're from. Let's just get on.
    Fer fucks sake we build yer roads, yer homes, yer buildings. We bring yis music and literature. Can we not get locked one week night a year without yis feelin left out.
  • I think I love you.
    I'm not sure what perceived prejudice we're talking about here, but not one of the bellowing twats in foam hats I saw this year had any trace of an Irish accent, nor do I recall any significant proportion in past years. And none of my Irish friends, North or South, have much time for this bollocks.
  • edited March 2011
    @ADGS I so agree with the last comment and your previous comments on this thread. I'm from an Irish background and every other first or second generation Irish person I know stayed in on Thursday. While I know a lot of Irish community events are put on and people enjoy them, I find the pub activity to be so cringeworthy. And as you said lots of non-Irish parading around, getting blind drunk and wearing those hats. The brawl near my flat was quite scary. I could hear the thud against the person, despite having double glass and watching a film. When I looked out the window glasses had been broken and a man was fleeing. Thanks Guiness for your sensitivity!
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Just to clarify, we did have a very happy bunch on the St.Patric's day; no fight, no unpleasant noise, no broken glasses. It was very nice. thank you for all who have come.
    We have a fantastic offer for the week days; 2 course meal is only £8.50- nice popular meze platter to share for 2 and you choose the main course. Also wednesday nights we have live piano after 9 pm. Such a nice atmosphere.