Midsomer

edited March 2011 in Local discussion
I'm concerned about the way people describe other people on public forums. This isn't a newspaper - but here are a couple of paragraphs from the Press Complaints Commission code of practice about describing people.

12 Discrimination

i) The press must avoid prejudicial or pejorative reference to an individual's race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation or to any physical or mental illness or disability.

ii) Details of an individual's race, colour, religion, sexual orientation, physical or mental illness or disability must be avoided unless genuinely relevant to the story.

If I'm mugged. for example, and I can say the mugger was a woman, white, a teenager, abut five feet eight, blue eyes, mole on her chin, walked with a limp, was wearing a yellow hoodie then that be as a helpful and reasonably precise description of use to other people and not likely to cause a problem for other woman in the area who fit a portion but not all of the description.

In London 2011, if I just say a black teenager with a hoodie mugged me, well it all gets a bit Midsomer Murders at that point.

I hope this post comes across as a helpful hint rather than a lecture but I'll take the risk as I think it important.

Comments

• edited 12:45PM
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    On a forum you're talking how you would (in theory) talk face-to-face. You represent yourself, not an employer (like a newspaper). I couldn't give a crap about the PC brigade so will describe situations as most people have for the last 200 years. While getting mugged, i doubt most people are writing down details or taking a mental note of distinguishing features, they're hoping they don't get killed or that the beat down they take won't hurt too much. If out of all of that the 2 things they remember were skin colour and clothing, i'd say well done on getting two.
    "I'm concerned about the way people describe other people on public forums."

Can I suggest that next time you have this concern, you speak to the person concerned directly via the whisper function? As it is, this kind of context-free general statement is particularly unhelpful.
    Jaw-dropping.

I started to compose a righteous response, but realised this could be an excellent spot of trolling
    @WillM - there's an irony that you didn't choose to use the whisper function there
    Fight! FIght! FIght!
    @Brodiej Hear, hear. I watch Midsomer from time to time and I don't get it either.
  • edited March 2011
    i assumed she was referring to [this](http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/mar/15/midsomer-murders-producer-race-row?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487) but it's a bit abstruse. edit: abstruse isn't the right word. perhaps i mean abstract.
    @misscara @miss annie Google midsomer producer and in the news bit all will become clear.

surely the point is that the more detailed a description anyone can give, the better and the more generic, the more likely to raise archetype based issues

Personally, I like it better when we're arguing over use of grammar and the like....
  • edited March 2011
    @Misscara if you thought i was having a go at you take a very deep breath. I wasn't.

FFS indeed.
    No-one can tell anyone what to think. This forum is a glorious case in point. Even fewer people can tell us what to do and in general that doesn't work overly well on a majority of issues either...just the really obvious big ones like don't murder anyone etc

And so it's down to all of us to listen to the others point of view and even if you don't like it all, sometimes there may be a piece of genius or help we can extract. If trying to remember more detail from a mugging might help catch them, I'm all for it. If remembering they were wearing a white hoodie adds the level of detail that others might need to stop them freaking at any kid in a hoodie, great.

I reckon you and @HelenM are both right and both wrong and that is OK. Therewith my mellow rant.
    i dont think people should, "buy some fags, because they get ranty if they havent had one for a few days" - i think they should just get to know them in a winebar or something - some of them are ok people

200 white people have brutally murdered their neighbours on tv in midsomer murders with knives and guns and candlesticks - its time some ethnic minorities did some slaying,balance things up a bit.

carry on
    Sorry but the PC in this country is stupid to the point of idiocy.

When a council can ban piglet from Winnie the poo so it wont offend Muslims.

Or not calling a blackboard a blackboard but a chalkboard, so not to offend black people.

And if someone gets offended by the word blackboard or a picture of piglet they really need to get out more.

PC in my eyes has gone to far, were changing language so not to offend people, would it not be better to change the mindset?

The film The Dam Busters used the word nigger as a code word (it was the name of Guy Gibson's dog) yet the new film has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on meetings to discuss the use of the word for the remake. How can we rewrite history so we don't offend people? It wasn't used as a derogatory term then and wont be now.

There rant over and as I am just a normal bloke form the wild and damp Yorkshire dales what do I know (hmm is that not racist or at best un PC?)
    I'm not sure anyone has covered themselves in glory on this thread.
    How lavish must these n-word meetings be to have six-figure sums spent on them? Are all the attendees flown across the world in private jets made of solid gold? Baths taken in champagne? cereal bowls of cocaine on each table?

More to the point why does it bother you so? It comes out of the producers' pockets anyway, not the taxpayer's.
    For what its worth @HelenM, I get what you were saying and commend your sensitivity even if no one else does. The descriptions on TV when reporting on such crime often make me cringe as if they are pointed somehow. If you read headlines in the local press, there doesn't seem to be a discernible differential in crime from ethnic compared with non-ethnic backgrounds. All the description does is highlight prejudice. It would be perhaps more helpful to delineate the perpetrators by dress code ie. hoodies, sweatpants, baseball cap or by behavior: bowed head, parading in groups of 'x' (some analysis would be valuable here eg. muggings are more common by males in groups of 3 etc.). This way people would be alert for the right reasons, not the wrong ones.
    Helen M is quite right in principle. However, her example is wrong is she saying that someone being "black" a "teenager" or wearing a "hoodie" is intrinsically offensive? I doubt it.

BTW the offensive bit about Midsomer was not that the village was all white - thats a casting decision and up to the producers of the show. What was offensive was the producer's rather illuminating personal view of why it was cast that way - i.e. that having a non-white person in a rural village destroys its englishness - the obvious inference being that to belong in England you have to be white. That is straight off the BNP manifesto and that is why he was criticised.
    @delaware1 - up to a point. <a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/mar/20/midsomer-murders-racism-row?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487">David Mitchell</a>'s point of view that Midsomer Murders, being escapist in various different ways, is thus meant to represent an England that doesn't exist any more. Although I've only seen a few episodes, I'm assuming that there aren't particularly any unmarried mothers, gay or transgendered characters, white immigrants, drug addicts, etc?
    Oh FFS. There's a difference between giving an accurate discription of a mugger etc. so that person can be caught and highlighting someone's ethnic background in the kind of insidious, nudge-nudge, what else can you expect kind of way which "I'm not racist but..." Daily Mail types trot out. It saddens me that people still feel the need to highlight that someone they had an altercation with was black, as if to highlight the sense of danger.

Perhaps instead of banging on about political correctness, people could consider the language they use from the perspective of basic human decency and respect.
    @WillM - I think you have missed the distinction I drew. What was objectionable was not that the cast happens to be all white - but the reason why they were all white which was based on the producer's own racist views that darkies should stay away from this beatifully created England of his - lest they pollute it. Pretty ironic given that the writer of the Midsomer murders is North London Jew - I wonder how welciome he would have been in Midsomer.

@ Matt79 - there is nothing wrong in describing someone's physical appearance including skin colour racial characteristics - thats how you identify them! I cant see how "black teenager wearing a hoodie" is remotely offensive - its a factual description.
    @delaware1 I think you're missing the point we're trying to make here. Can you explain the value of describing the attacker as black, Asian or white in the press, if not to play on stereotypes? This information is only of use to the police or indeed if they are actively publishing a detailed description for investigative purposes. Outside this it merely serves to play on people's fears and prejudices about minorities, ghettos etc.
    Let those that find it offensive, find it offensive. Those that don't, carry on not being offended. I'm pretty sure at some point in my life i have been described as white. I don't need anyone else to manage on my behalf how others speak to me or about me or how i speak about others. Just concentrate on being a good person yourself. In the excellent tone of SG Steve's sign off..........carry on
    @sincers

The value is obvious - 1. its true and 2. the police are more likely to catch them as an accurate description of the suspects is in the public domain.

I do understand the point you are making; there are newpapers out there that that feed off racist and religious stereotypes and give disproportonate attention to perpertrators from those communities - this is a problem but I dont think censoring eye witness accounts of crimes is the way to solve this.
    @WIllM - I never said he did. You omitted the next part of what he said...

"It just wouldn't work. Suddenly we might be in Slough ... We're the last bastion of Englishness and I want to keep it that way."

The clear implication is good BNP stuff - doesnt matter that you are English born and bred or that your parents were etc England is about "race" and "you" dont belong here. I dont really care what he meant or whether he believes it hinself - thats his business - when you are in the public eye you either think before you open your mouth, you keep it firmly shut or bear the consequences. He is doing the latter.
    Yes I understand that its true and necessary to tell the Police that the attackers are black etc., but the Police don't get their information from the newspapers (on the whole). Its fine to tell them about the racial persuasion of the criminals, but its not for the media to tell the public; they're just shit stirring by doing it. In fact, if you take it a step further back, the fact that the police tell the press about the ethnicity is evidence of their institutional behaviour, which then perpetuates it among the public.
    @ sincers

I agree thats definitely a risk.