Stapleton Tavern

124»

Comments

• edited January 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 7:00AM
    Does anyone know if the Stapleton Tavern has a pub quiz and if so, what night's it's on? Looking for a local pub quiz that's not on Tuesdays or Mondays. Cheers Donna
    The Stapleton seems to have a) better and quieter music, b) a lot more people in it. I wonder if someone there read this thread.
    Miranddola- they did organise a quiz with the Enigmatist and then cancelled it after he had turned down another gig. Needless to say, he is drinking elsewhere1
    I love the Stapleton! Awesome burger and chips, although they've changed the menu and now there's no reference to the chips being triple cooked anymore. I hope they're the same (although my jeans might not agree)
    Since it had been a couple of years since I'd last eaten in there, I dropped in last night for some food. Had a veggie burger and chips (with aoili - what's the point of aoili? It's difficult to spell and it's just garlic mayonnaise).

Much better, friendly service, only took about 15-20 minutes for the food to arrive, and definitely edible. £11 for a veggie burger and a soft drink is a bit on the high side. Or is it just the case that there's a stroud green mark-up on food now?
    I had a MEAT burger in there the other week and it was really super, very filling and good quality so I would say worth the price.
    The main role of aoili is to use up spare vowels in scrabble
    But that seems to be the case in a lot of pubs around here (WLM excepted). I suppose Nandos would probably be about £9 for the same, maybe I've got cheap expectations.
    If you're eating before 7pm on a weekday this is a great deal, less than £9 and Monkeynuts is just great - lovely staff and good venue. <http://www.monkeynuts.biz/menu.html>; As previously discussed, avoid Crouch End at after school times.
    I agree the food and general ambience in the Stapleton are now fantastic - best pub meal in the area both times I've been recently (and that includes the Noble). The staff do seem a bit dozy though. They're doing this 'badge' thing in a week's time but they don't seem to have done much about it - Neil the carpenter (who drinks there every day) offered to make a custom-made octagonal frame, but they didn't bother to respond. Weird really.
    They've put posters about it in the ladies' loos!
    Now that is one place I don't go.
    We all know you're lying about the loo, krappy. Is Neil-The-Carpenter the beardy fellah with the medieval haircut?
    More Anglo-Saxon, I would say.
    I was thinking Norman knight. One who just about survived the crusades, but only after seeing some really nasty shit.
    @missannie Ever eaten ribs at Monkeynuts - are they worth the £18?
    The beef ribs? Yes! I've had them many times. The thing I would say is that they can sometimes be a bit fatty but I quite like that. They don't come with any accompaniments, (apart from a tiny pile of rocket) but believe me you won't need chips.
    An excellent night indeed.
    The Blue Moon at the Stapleton is very nice. Especially with a slice of orange. Apparently, though, putting citrus peel into beer deflates its frothy head. The obvious solution would be to hand-peel the orange slices… (sorry Beth)