The camp outside Tesco....

Comments

• edited 5:41PM
    @Sevlow My sources in the NHS tell me he is provided for fully with housing, care and money so don't worry about him. Will ask about him next time I get the opportunity.

He has been in the system for years, but he is one of those that needs its protection. Seeing him less on the streets is a good thing :)
  • edited May 2011
    @checkski
    I just want to say how much I share your distaste for the very reasonable proto-fascist and fascist reactions evident above.
    They recall similar sentiments articulated at length in the discussion about the removal of the bench outside Tesco.
    Fascism is much closer to our experience than we imagine.
    The line that separates the cosy and secure from the worthless, infrahuman scum whose "anti-social behaviour" spoils our improving environment is actually quite thin.
    Of course, nobody who comes on here will have their mind changed by the arguments they find but it's great that you have the stamina to challenge that fascistic common-sense when it pops up under the protective anonymity of this virtual community.
  • edited May 2011
    Fascism, like 'Nazism', is a ridiculously misused term. Read some history. Who on this forum is proposing to put on a brown shirt, kick the shit out of these unfortunate people, stick them in a concentration camp, lobotomise them, use them for a few medical experiments, starve them and perhaps execute them and then justify it on the grounds that we are the master race? Nobody. Back to your pond, Jeremy Fisher.
    I walked past yesterday for the first time in ages and saw two people who, to my expert Trainspotting-trained eye, looked like they were on heroin. One of them had very swollen hands with what looked like needle marks on them. From what I have seen before, they used to sit around drinking chatting and smoking.
    Now you mention it, though, Krappy, that does sound like a plan. Except that I don't have any brown shirts. Would black do?
    This thread is the very definition of [Godwin's Law](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law) *"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1.*
    I've just spent much tme reading this thread and all I can think of is that you (most of you anyway) are the same people who were in favour of the bench being taken away from outside Tescos for these very same reasons. Well that didn't solve the problem did it? It just means that people like me, who are not too good on their pins, have nowhere to sit and rest anymore.
    So what am I saying? Nothing really, except that ill thought out solutions are no solution at all, it can just 'punish' those innocents that are in need for totally different reasons.
    On a lighter note, (and I've seen it done very effectively) is to keep the pavement wet outside to discourage people from 'camping' out on the pavement. Who wants a wet bum?
    PS. Where do they go to the toilet?
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    We should kill them and sell them to a Kebab shop, but I understand if that's a tad extreme for some of you.
  • edited May 2011
    I have never had any bother from the crowd outside Tescos All I notice is them hanging out there. They are a sorry sight tbut they've never approached me for money or anything else. I never give money to beggars as I don't think it's a good idea.

I would be annoyed if they started pissing outside my door, but we get that at the top of SGR anyway. Last night some of the Karmenz crowd started pissing in any doorway they could. Do they not think of using the loo before leaving the bar/club? Luckily I don't see this often but woke up due to their noise (cars and stereos being pumped up to the max). Here comes the summer...........
    A bit reluctant to revive this thread but the pavement outside Tesco was pristine and clean all day today. That was because the police parked up their CCTV van on the pavement outside the fish shop for a few hours and the Tesco Campers promptly decamped. They were seen on their way up SGR complaining about surveillance and the CCTV society.

Bring it on, I say.
  • IanIan
    edited 5:41PM
    I saw the neighbourhood police moving them on. Good thing I think.
    Well I hope the same community/CCTV police force use the same energy to tackle the anti-social element who piss outside our houses, fight and make excessive noise at the top end of SGR.
    Me too. I hope to see anyone having fun in the street after 7pm carted off in a police van. Lock 'em up, boys!
    If they really were homeless and were just begging, I wouldn't have a problem - in fact I'd probably nip into tescos and buy them some food every now and then.

However, they're not, they have a flat, so why should they be allowed to take over the pavement as they do. I also wouldn't have a problem if they were just smoking the odd bit of weed, but when I walked past (with my young nieces) the other day, they looked to me like they'd been doing something far stronger, like heroin. I don't really want my nieces to see that.

Personally, I think that someone should start hosing down the street a few times a day - and next time they go off to the alley to do drugs someone should come along with a bin van and cart all their rubbish off to the dump. If I put an old mattress and some old boxes on the pavement outside my house I'm pretty sure the council would take it away (or actually they'd probably fine me for littering the streets).

I really can't believe that they've been tolerated for so long.
    Here's the solution - let's borrow a sniffer dog from the drugs squad and tie it to the railings. It would go bonkers.

Hmmmm. Trouble is I suppose it would go bonkers at just about everybody else walking up and down SGR.
    Do you think that the police CCTV effort has been bought about from reading this forum?
    @Jamesdaniel he was back over the weekend, seemed in good spirits, I gave him a quid. Nice to see him.
    They (the campers) were back this morning. Sofa bed and all. Well, mattress. What beats me is the way the seem to haul the mattress to and fro - there one minute, gone the next. Do they take it round a corner somewhere for a bit of kip or a touch of drug-sozzled bunga-bunga?
  • edited May 2011
    Browsing through this thread, this very long thread, has shocked me rather. I had no idea there were so many judgemental people around.
    Big cities house people from all walks of life, all backgrounds and classes. I just thank my lucky stars when I see those who've been reduced to such hard times as needing to sleep outside, that I had chances in my life which gave me a bit more security than them...
    All those people who think you can just snap out it if and get a job are living in a dreamworld. Young people with degrees and a good education are still scrambling for jobs. It is so demeaning to be regarded as rubbish which can be swept away and I feel ashamed to read that kind of comment. These are human beings talked about as if they have come from another planet, with no thought to the circumstances which led them to ending up in trouble, and maybe more trouble, and then an endless cycle of troubles. Much of their problems will have been passed on from their parents before them, who themselves couldn't break the cycle of difficulties in their lives.
    I think some of those who are so obsessed about having a 'clean pavement' should get out a bit more and see what life is really like for people on the streets. Do you ever stop to find out? Can you ever imagine what home life was for some of them? No, you probably have no idea. Have they ever harmed you? Live and let live, help if you want to, walk on by, no harm done but please have some heart...
    those losers need to move on to another corner...in another neighbourhood.
  • edited May 2011
    Hmmm, I don't subscribe to the view that you can't take responsibility for your own life if you had a crappy upbringing. I have no interest in oversharing but I know from experience that it is perfectly possible to grow up to be a responsible member of society and a balanced human being even if you have had a traumatic start to life. It's all about choice really. You can choose to make a life for yourself, contribute to the world around you and move on or you can choose to spend your whole life blaming everything on your upbringing and give up even trying to help yourself.
  • KazKaz
    edited 5:41PM
    If this site had a "Like" button, I would "like" Starlights comments above. They are really not hurting anyone, are they??? It just makes me sad that people live like that, whatever the reason is.

And really, we have, what, two people sleeping on the streets here!? In the "street cleanliness" stakes, it really isn't much of an issue compared to some places.
    Here we go again. As I understand it, they're not "sleeping on the streets" at all (an emotive term if ever there was one). They're just sitting on the pavement begging. They seem to have been doing it long enough to demonstrate that getting a leg-up from anyone is never going to be part of the plan. Well I don't care one way or another. Up to them really. I'm fed up with this thread.
    I can't understand why people are bothered by these people. Two people who sleep on the pavement. They don't actively beg from what I see. I feel a bit of pity for them (not much as I've seen them for the best part of ten years) but I've never given them money as I don't think it helps people.

I think the attitudes on here are reflective of a divide between the 'i've got where I am today through hard work' and the bleeding hearted liberals who think that they're a sad reflection on society.

My view is that they're people who have probably got in a spiral of addiction and helplessness. However, no one can help them, but themselves. I'm sure I've seen crowds of social workers swarm around them. They can access that care if they want to.

However, I conclude by saying I don't think they're a big social menace (could be wrong and correct me if I am). I think some of the crowds of people who cause anti-social noise and violence on SGR should be hated more.
    My primary objection to this whole scenario is the lack of community spirit displayed by these people in patronising Tesco over one of N4's Fine Independent Retailers. I strongly suspect they are not partaking of fair trade narcotics either, inexcusable.
  • edited May 2011
    Just a short message today having been heartened by comments of others who do seem to understand that not everyone can drag themselves out of extreme circumstances and survive adequately in life. We live in a world of extremes...
    What we witness outside Tesco is nothing compared with other places in the world. I've seen little children rummaging through rubbish heaps and paddling in pools of fetid water. Tell me they have a chance to get out of their situation if they only had the will?! On the other hand you have those living closeted in small rural communities in Britain who have little experience of life outside their boundaries, except what they see on television. Maybe it's better not to know, but, if you choose to live in the big city you cannot expect that everything is going to be streamlined and perfect, and therefore acceptance of difference has to be part of our way of life...