fullback garden

edited May 2007 in Local discussion
what have they done to the fullback garden. every last plant has been ripped out of it. i couldnt speak for a full five minutes yesterday when i saw it. i couldnt even sit down. its a travesty!!! anyone know if its going to be re-instated?

Comments

• edited 2:35PM
    It's a real shame how they've destroyed it. The 'improvements' are for the July 1st smoking law. I think they've tried to make the space bigger so that the smoking customers (about 95% of the pub I think) can all pile outside. On the brighter side, lots of room for us non-smokers inside who currently avoid the Fullback because they find it too smokey.
    Makes sense Four Eyes, though I'm not a smoker and love the Fullback as it is - a smokey old boozer. I fear the new laws will kill something I love about it and quite possibly London.
    Ugh, the Fullback STIIIIINKS at the moment - grease from the Thai kitchen and SO much stale smoke. It was hard to stomach the smell in there even when I was a smoker. I like the idea that when I go to a pub, I won't carry the smell of it home with me. But I think the Fullback will still just smell of fry ups.
    You're right Emma, the Fullback does stink. But it has oodle's more character and history than all the other pubs put together. Sanitising the life and soul out of the place is a real shame, and it will happen. A sea of sterile, bland Pitcher & Piano's awaits us and I'll probably just stay at home for a drink rather than that. I might even take up smoking at home to redress the balance.
    Without wanting to open up a can of worms over the whole smoking in public debate, I don't think it's that bad is it David? The Fullback will still have oodles of character and shabby chic and will just have a general smell instead of a smokey one? I know I'd prefer to smell Thai food whafting around rather than ciggie smoke. Mmm it's lunchtime my belly's rumbling :)
    without opening an additional can of worms. I can't stand it when pubs sell Thai food. If I eat in a pub I much prefer more traditional menus.

the smoking ban is a good thing. but I will sort of miss the beer/fag combo for nostalgic reasons other than anything else.....
  • edited May 2007
    Christ. So let me get this straight. We want the Fullback to keep the green in the garden but somehow still make room for smokers in the garden _(we could ban smoking in the garden to solve this)_. And then stop serving Thai food and start serving what Ewan eats. Hopefully what Ewan eats won't offend Emma otherwise we really will have a can of worms on our hands. I'd like them to stop serving those fizzier beers that I don't like and add a few more of the ones I do like, introduce a booking system on the pool table and ban rugby.
    Right. Sounds like a plan. So who's going to tell them?
  • edited May 2007
    Is that ban rugby in general David, or just in the Fullback?

Getting rid of the rugby element would surely involve renaming the pub too. Any suggestions for a new name?
  • edited May 2007
    All Bar One? We should probably ban rugby in general as I don't like it.
    The Can of Worms?
  • edited May 2007
    Can they serve cans of worms to eat too?
    Fullback is overrated.

- Smoky, dingy, cold in the back.
    - Nasty, cheap, filthy Thai food.
    - Crowd is i) students ii) wankers iii) people complaining about how the students and the wankers have ruined it for them

underwhelming.
  • edited May 2007
    That was a poor cheap swipe at a pub that's only crime is not being the type of pub you like. Snobbish at best. The Fullback is probably the only pub in the area that hasn't been revamped, rebranded or gastro'd with the vogue at the time since I came to London, that should tell you something. If you don't like it don't go, just stop bitching at something that doesn't fit your taste, its bordering on pub-fascism.
    Andy: <i>- Crowd is i) students ii) wankers iii) people complaining about how the students and the wankers have ruined it for them</i>

Yes! Totally! Last few times we went, the toilets were always full of hairstyled kids taking coke. That's the main reason we stopped going really, coupled with the Noble and Red Rita taking a turn for the better.
    God forbid the kids have hairstyles and take drugs. Christ, they didn't do that back in my day. It's disgusting. I feel like I've lost my forum to the Daily Mail brigade. Time to take my own advice and unsubscribe.
    It's not pub-fascism at all. I just don't understand why it gets all the rave reviews. It's an underwhelming pub in desperate need of a new kitchen but for some reason it inspires all sorts of loyalty. Last time I went, there was a big crowd talking about Basil. Time was, they would have been talking about their friend called Basil. More recently, they would have been talking about the herb they were growing on their balcony for their pasta. In fact, they were talking about the "Basle regulations" for capital adequacy in investment banks. And they had stupid hair.
    Mate, we're having a go at a shit pub, not your mum. take a pill.
    Maybe David is the landlord? He's an angry chap!

Although to be fair, I would prefer it if the youth didn't have haircuts, ever, then I could go to the Fullback.
    Trying to put a positive turn on an empassioned subject...

What makes a good pub? Pub Manifesto, if you like.

I've had four general rules:
    1) Original oak beams
    2) Fireplace
    3) Ale
    4) Pub dog

There are bonus points to be had.
    5) availability of scampi fries
    These are some of my favourite - non local - pubs This is a proper pirate pub in Dorset: <http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/57/5705/Square_and_Compass/Worth_Matravers>; This pub has one of the best views in the country and it's a great venue, but needs to be bought (by me) and de-harverstered. <http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/24/24135/Scott_Arms/Kingston>; Best pub ever - used to have an official philosopher in residence and i spent a large chunk of my a-levels in there <http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/16/16933/Beehive/Swindon>; Nice winter pub - haven't been there for years, but it looks like it's had a nasty makeover. <http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/40/406/Turf_Tavern/Oxford>; Once ace pub ruined by a makeover - what has happened in Oxford? <http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/42/4220/Trout_Inn/Lower_Wolvercote>;
    Actually, it's troubling how many of my favourite pubs have been horribly refurbed
    I hear the pub garden will have two floors for the smokers.

It is the best pub in the area still!
  • edited May 2007
    @David, c'mon, before you arrived it must have had an 'It's a Scream' makeover - it's got loads of fiddles and lawnmowers and stuff stapled to the ceining in the front room, and the large area out back is, in reality, not all that nice. It is also the smokiest place I have ever been and the management have needed, for a long time, to take proper control of the locals and staff.
  • AliAli
    edited 2:35PM
    It was refurbished when it became the Faltering Fullback. Chris the landlord before the sell out to the current Islingtonite owners ripped out the red plastic bench seats and copper top tables that used to be all around the walls of the front and middle bar He put in the high tables, candles and glasses out of the fridge. Before he arrived it’s average customers was about two a day - not much smoke then ! It also used to do a great lock in, in the early days. I think the objects hanging form the roof got put in by the current operators.

Hopefully they will give the place a wash on the 30th June as once no one is smoking everyone will notice the smell !!

Believe it or not the pace to go before the FF came along about 15 years ago was the White Lion- Full of Guardian readers and used to be frequented by the likes of Neil Morrissey and Adrian Dunbar (who is back on BBC on Sunday Night).

Guess it will be interesting to se if what goes around comes around after the smoking ban
    Let's make the White Lion great again - it's got air conditioning and it is coming up to summer - we could do an SG.org flash mob. (And it's dirt cheap.)
    A SG.org flash mob would be a great idea. Maybe not the White Lion as 50 or so of us might not seem like such a 'mob', it's quite a big pub. Somewhere like one of the smaller wig shops that always seem to be empty would be fun - 50 of us all decide to try on our three for a tenner choices at the same time :)
  • edited June 2007
    I love pubs so I can happily drink in any of the local places. However -- and I never thought I'd say this -- The White Lion can actually be quite nice on a weekday afternoon (or if you REALLY like drinking, between 9am and 12pm). Most of the hardened drinkers (and smokers) sit at the back, so on a sunny day with the doors open it's not a bad place to have a very cheap drink and watch the colourful world of Stroud Green pass by. And the staff are usually very professional.

My partner, however, wouldn't be seen dead in the place.
  • edited June 2008
    I've seen from the Haringey website that the Council decided all the decking in the Fullback garden needed planning permission, and have refused it. <http://www.planningservices.haringey.gov.uk/portal/servlets/ApplicationSearchServlet?PKID=158918>; Has anyone heard of this before, and was it resolved, or is the Council likely to force them to pull it down?