Watch out, plant thieves about

edited May 2011 in Local discussion
Imagine my distress as I left for work this morning to discover the beautiful butterfly lavender that was sat on the window ledge had been swiped overnight.

So the moral is, don't bother trying to make the neighbourhood look nice because some [insert expletive] will just come along and trash it. I really don't understand people sometimes.

Comments

• edited 1:40PM
    You're not alone. A few weeks ago my Yucca plant (much-loved) which sat outside the front door suddenly disappeared. Beware, plant-lovers of Upper Tollington Park.
    I'm on UTP too. Clearly there's a serial plant-nicker targeting our road.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2011
    Blimey. Well we're on UTP too and our downstairs neighbour has just spent the last week actually making the front garden look acceptable, cleared it all out and put in loads of plants...guess we'll have to see how long that lasts.

Some dickheads took all my nan's plants from her front garden when I was young. I still really clearly remember how distressed she was, it's such a bafflingly unkind thing to do.
    This happened to me a few times when I lived in Cambridge. Stage weights in the bottom of plant pots ensured it didn't again.
    My neighbour's little rose plant was stolen from our front garden a few weeks ago.
    I find stealing them less baffling than just trashing them, though clearly either is the act of a piece of scum who should themselves be used as a living gro-bag.
  • valval
    edited 1:40PM
    I had a plant pot stolen - plant thrown on path - so next one is screwed down. Wonder if someone selling them at car boot sale?
    Someone pillaged my window box overnight, taking about 10 marigolds, took some of my neighbour's plants and stole some empty pots. Such a mean thing to do!
    Emine - they dug the marigolds up?? What the fuck is wrong with people!
    So mean! Yes, they dug them up, leaving a couple of the less attractive ones. I'd only put them in at the weekend; my neighbour had put in new plants too. I'd never heard of plant thieves before this thread.
    I'd heard of people taking away entire plant pots, but not selectively digging up plants - it seems like a really strange thing to do considering plants aren't exactly expensive.
    I know! I can understand why someone would steal a bike or a TV or a wallet, abhorrent though that is. Stealing plants just seems a really rotten thing to do.
    Not plants, but on Upper Tollington Park a minute ago. Just witnessed a swarthy character (grubby puffa jacket and grey hoody) on his BMX cycling up UTP trying the doors on multiple parked cars as he made his way towards Green Lanes. Didn't appear to give two figs that I was walking along at the same pace as him. I didn't do anything as I don't fancy a stabbing.
    Wilco, Will do it in the morning, not sure how.