sugar lounge

Hello everyone ! I just want to put some words about the last weeks topic that some of you have been talking about. I was away and the staff told me that the sugar lounge received a nasty visit from the travellers as you call it !? I have learned about these people from the other places like White lion and even old dairy. they go round and start causing trouble ; with the staff with the other customers in there ; they smash glasses and throw chairs around. As sugar lounge ; this was our first meeting with the TRAVELLERS. I have read plenty comments and opinions about that night and I just want to give you the inside information. First 3 men came in and asked for 3 beer; and then 2 more came in asked for beer, and then 5 girls followed them and set down separetely but they were all occupying the outside tables. the time was 10.30 pm . then they finished their drinks, they went to the market to get more drinks and they actually invaded our tables and the duty manager asked them to leave kindly and warned them that they could not bring their drinks from outside ; and one of the girl made an indicent proposal just for a free drink and then hte duty manager called the police; the police did not come and the duty manager stopped a passing police car; it was 11 pm and the manager was trying to move the traveller to put the chairs in but they would not move; even the police set in their van and watched them without interfering; and they left. Although the sugar lounge phoned the police 10 times they were not effective nor protective. And I was told about the situation and I told them to closed the bar early. So the manager closed the bar before midnight. If the business gets attacted purposedly by these kind of trouble makers and even the police does not act tactfully; I am not sure what I could have done. The trouble makers went into peoples garden and did stupid things; the trouble has not been triggered by the sugar lounge, we did not invite them and we did our best to prevent it from getting out of hand. I really think that you should come and try the food and enjoy the athmosphere like the rest of us. the sugar lounge is here and it is concerned about these unfair comments; About the inside noise; I can guarantee you that we are working hand in hand with the inslington council environment and health department; we did get a noise report; we do have a built in limiter on the premises and it is set to the allowed limit. For the outside noise; we do keep it under control, we do warn our customers at all times about keeping the noise down to a minimum during smoking sessions after late evening. If Any suggestions rather than unfair comments please do come in and ask to speak to me; I am sure it will be a lovely summer on the stroud green road when the sun decides to shine on us. We have many good projects that will bring the street a good vibe.

Comments

• edited 2:15PM
    I agree that this was a difficult situation to deal with, I work in Crouch End and we had trouble around the same time as you. It was the same situation with people arriving in small groups and upon realising they could get served calling friends to join them, in the end it got out of hand and it is a very difficult situation to deal with without coming across as snobbish/bias/racist.

I have drunk in sugar lounge and I know that myself and others have been warned about noise levels outside, there's not much else you can do to keep noise down other then ask people and keep on top of it, if this doesn't work then it's the public's fault and not the bars. I have even seen people refused service so I know that sugar lounge is doing it's best. It's a shame that the bar picks up a 'dodgy clientèle' just because it's one of the latest bars in this area but this is something I have seen you dealing with and living very close to the bar I think you are doing a good job. Keep in touch with the locals feedback and keep it up, it's a shame people love slagging everything off so much on this site.
  • edited June 2011
    Coyote, I agree Sugar Lounge are trying to deal with things as best they can but for a long time they had a very easy going attitude towards outside noise. Last summer tables and chairs were left out until 3 or 4 am and until recently their doorman sat in the bar chatting to customers. A late night bar in this area requires an active door person on the door all the time. It's standard in bars in other busy areas. As it's a late night bar and I think the only one on SGR now, it attracts a lot of people who want to get drunk.Fair enough but SL are making lots of money out of this and need to keep an eye on their outside crowd, which they seem to be doing now. I realise that the 'traveller noise' a week ago was a freak occassion but it worried a lot of the nearby residents. I think some of the problems in the past were caused by a bit of non-interest on some of the bar staff's part rather than on the management side.

Thanks Sugar Lounge for responding and listening and I think you are doing well, but please keep bringing in all your tables and chairs by 11 pm and keep a door person on the door at the weekend. If you keep it up, a nice summer can be had by your bar, customers and neighbours.
    Thanks for coming on and talking to SG.org Sugar Lounge. I really like that the site facilitates dialogue between local business and local residents in a way that otherwise might not happen. Some of the dialogue might be negative towards you, but by responding it shows that you're responsible and a good business owner. I'll be happy to come and have some drinks and some food. See you soon.
    Thanks for the update sugar_lounge
    Its not really one incident that could jeopardise SL, it's one persons vendetta......
  • edited June 2011
    Do we just slag things off, or is this just a perception? I regularly say positive things, but in the spirit of balance... @sugar lounge - Great use of 'the Stroud Green Road' - I always say it, and I've been trying to make it catch on since I had limited success with 'Fiveways', but... horrible use of white space