Desert Island DVD's

2»

Comments

• edited 1:48PM
    @ADGS, I understand what you are saying about Pratchett, but I like the way that he gets the reader to think outside the box. We Pratchett fans can get too comfortable with the earlier books and their characters. I found it quite hard to leave the familiar Characters behind, but even on Discworld, life moves on. Apart from the Witches' I really miss Cohen the Barbarian and all of his cohorts.Etc
    Putting aside your aversions, you were obviously a fan. Which character did you favour?
  • sgcsgc
    edited 1:48PM
    I was very keen on Rankin and Pratchett both as a teen, but agree that Rankin got a bit tedious after a bit. Still love Pratchett, though, although I am a few books behind.

I've just realised I haven't actually answered the original question. I'm not very keen on watching the same things over and over again, and the films I like best are not necessarily the ones I'd be able to rewatch more than once in a blue moon. I'd be bound to regret whatever choice I made, but here you go (any suggestion that any of these choices are partly motivated by eye candy is, well, probably correct):

Little Shop of Horrors
    Bringing Up Baby
    Charade
    That Touch of Mink (yes, I have a bit of a thing for Cary Grant...)
    Definitely agree with ADGS on the Doctor Who issue (or maybe this year's...)
    The Goodies
    Black Books, or a Dylan Moran live DVD with a Bill Bailey one (but not the old one where he bangs on about getting stoned for the first half hour) stashed inside the box
    Jules et Jim.
    If we can have box sets, then all the Harry Potters, otherwise Deathly Hallows Parts I and II (hopefully I don't get shipwrecked until after DHII is either legitimately available on DVD or I figure out how to burn things to a DVD...)
    Again, either All The Buffy or... either S2 or S3, or perhaps S6.
    I'm going to have to add The Last Waltz, the greatest rockumentary ever made.
    Cookie - sorry if that came across unclear, it's Rankin I've gone off, Pratchett I still love. What I was trying to say was that he started off very, very good - and then got better.
    Regarding Cohen, did you read The Last Hero? I think the illustrations meant it stood outside the mainstream a little and so a lot of people missed it (see also: the stories of Unseen University in alternate chapters of the Science of Discworld trilogy). And the witches have just moved across to the (excellent) Tiffany Aching books, which are marketed as young adult but functionally indistinguishable from the rest. I think Granny Weatherwax is excellent, and she probably had the single best moment of that thinking outside the box for which you rightly praise Pratchett - after he'd taken a sledgehammer to organised religion in Small Gods, I love the bit in iirc Carpe Jugulum where Granny lays into how pallid and feeble the reformed, C of E-style version of the church has become, and she'd prefer something with a bit of fire...
    But narrowly edging out Granny and the wizards, I think my favourite's still Vimes. Really looking forward to Snuff, and hoping it won't be the last book.
    @ADGS, loved and hated The Last Hero. loved the story, hated the fact that Cohen + co were no more. Yes I have the illustrated book, and the illustration of the bits of wheelchair et al in the snow saddened me. Pratchett really knows how to tug the heart strings!
    Whilst I love Granny Weatherwax, have to say that Nanny Ogg is my favourite. I adore the fact that she is so on the ball even when she seems to be rather laissez faire. She is a 'woman of the world'.
    Only Nanny could play I Spy with the ghost of a king!
    As for Vimes, did you read the book when he was desperately trying to get home to his son to read The book? Wracking my brains for the title. All I know is that it was heart wrenching. Pratchett really knows how to tug the heart strings.
    Probably a Coen Brothers box set would do me.
    Ah yes, Thud - that scene had me both laughing and crying on the bus. Which was great for getting some space.
    @ADGS Thank you, found the story, it was 'Where's my Cow!
    Thud would make a Great film I think, and it would have people sobbing down the aisles! With that in mind, who do you think should play the part of Vimes? I vote Michael Caine.
  • R&JR&J
    edited August 2011
    TV Shows Curb Your Enthusiasm The Wire Breaking Bad Film Cinema Paradiso La Haine Oldboy Planes, Trains & Automobiles Trading Places Groundhog Day Man on Fire Top Gun Alien Aliens Alien 3 (Director's Cut)