Getting someone a pub gig in Stroud Green / anywhere

I know nothing about the music business at all. It's just ear candy to me.

But a young man I'm friendly with is an up-and-coming musician, accomplished guitarist and writes his own songs. He lives on a barge on the Lea in Tottenham Hale. Yes, you've got it - in the riots, someone stole his £3,000 Lowden guitar. (He subsequently got it back by checking the ads on Gumtree. I think we can expect to read about the court case soon.)

He has a CD coming out soon and deserves a break, so I said I'd check out the pubs and bars in my neighbourhood to see if anyone will give him a spot. But how do these things happen? I know bars like the Sugar Lounge & Stapleton sometimes have music. Do they go through agencies? Is it worth asking in any of the bars, does he just send them a demo disc, or are there individuals he can contact?

He does fingerpicking folksy stuff with edgy lyrics - I dunno, a bit Leonard Cohen-ish or maybe Rufus Wainwright.

I'm sure he knows what to do, but any advice or tips about the Stroud Green / N4 / N19 music scene that I can pass on?

Comments

• KazKaz
    edited 3:57AM
    I wouldn't have thought smaller places like Sugar Lounge go through agencies, I would guess you contact them directly. I am sure there will be info on their websites in many cases. Might be imaging this, but I think the Stapleton does an open mic night? I would try Silver Bullett, The World's End, Sugar Lounge, Stapleton, The Dairy in SG. The King's Head in Crouch End have stuff going on downstairs at times. There are one or two pubs on Tottenham Lane that does live music, one of them is an absolute shit hole (They do disco karaoke...), but there is an Irish one with red and yellow frontage that I think I have heard live music from. Never been in there though. Also, The Hideaway (Archway), and further afield, the Luxe in Spitalfields could be worth a try as they do regular music nights with some decent artists on. Good luck to him!
  • edited 3:57AM
    I’d like to hear the album. I’m not as in touch with the scene as I once was, but I would certainly do this: Pop down the World’s End and ask for Lester, tell him Ben sent you. Give him the lad’s details. Lester organises the music there (and used to run the T-Bird open-mic), his percussionist is the Friday night DJ and his bass player organises the open-mic at the Live Room in Palmers Green. They play a lot of gigs around town, and are well connected these days (especially since T-Bird protégée Ed Sheeran hit the charts). I’m sure he can get him a gig. The aforementioned Hideaway is also a good venue, thought they used to have the cheek to charge the artists the same fee as the punters. How’s your shattered body?
    I think the N19 has open mic nights too.
  • edited August 2011
    The Horatia (ex Lord Nelson) on Holloway Road has open mic nights - <http://www.thehoratia.co.uk/wp/events/>;
    Hornsey road side N19 and Ajani both have live acts on.
    Send your pal along to The Haberdashery in Crouch End. Massimo often books music for their events - Barboot, private art viewings, parties etc.
    Talk to Bee in Sugar Lounge and Tom (I think) in Stapleton. They should be able to help you.
    Blimey, how's that for expertise - thanks guys!

Arkady, my shattered body is mending thanks, now I'm working on shattering the mind. I can do the two-step as far as every single local bar again and am renewing acquiantance with them all (but not in the rain).

Available for Health and Safety presentations, weddings, bar-mitzvahs and funerals.
    Bar-mitzvahs... I knew you looked like Mitch Winehouse! Glad you're on the mend. I'm too poor to go out drinking at the moment, may bump into you some time in 2013.
    I used to work at the Garage on Highbury corner--the upstairs venue does some acoustic sets and he could probably get on the bill as an opener to a similar act.
    Arkady, no, my lookalike is (a mature) Michael Caine. I have stopped traffic in the southern part of the USA this way.