Mexican ....

edited October 2011 in Local discussion
www.amigos.co.uk

Had a flyer through the door for this place and ordered a delivery on line … it was amazing! Up there with Wahacca – you could choose the heat of the sauce for every dish and the best guacamole I’ve had in a very long time, and the salsa was hot, hot hot! Took quite a while to deliver but it was Friday night! Can’t recommend highly enough – will be trying again just in case it was a one off!

Comments

• edited 11:34AM
    We've ordered delivery from Amigo's a couple of times - good, fresh, tasty food. It beats that fake Tex-Mex restaurant Mexicali hands down.
    Really? Not to question that Mexicali is a Tex-Mex place, and maybe not that great, but amigos menu seems very short and doesn't go beyond the pretty bland burritos, fajitas, etc. Hard to believe it's better than Wahacca or is any more 'genuinely' Mexican than Mexicali...
    Well perhaps Wahacca comparison was due to over enthusiastic Friday night alcohol consumption- and having a broken front door key so not able to leave the house - but without doubt better than most ‘high street’ type places!
    If it gets wisteria53's endorsement then it has to be close to the real down home tex mex experience.
    ....and there's absolutely nothing wrong with good Tex-Mex! (not available on SGR in my opinion)

Amigo's isn't pretending to be more than a Mexican takeaway/delivery and for that it is very good.

Haven't ever been to Wahaca so can't compare, I know it is supposed to be good albeit a bit pricey.
    Wahaca's based on typical Mexican street food, mixed with English flavours, eg mature cheddar, which make the flavours somewhat odd.

For the real thing, you need to try Mestizo on Hampstead Lane near Warren Street; they have a great all-you-can-eat Sunday buffet. Lupita on Villiers Street beside Charing Cross is also very authentic and good.

After you've eaten at places like those, it's painful to see "Tex-Mex" and "good" in the same sentence! - though as Jamber said, sounds like Amigos' salsa and guacamole are great.... !
    Just ordered from Amigos based on this thread.

It was really disappointing. The guacamole was brown, the tortillas were soggy and the vegetable burrito was made with tinned veg. The food had spilled into the bag during the delivery which meant it broke on the way up the stairs spilling the food on the carpet. Won't be ordering from here again.
    Well, my point is - would you get a decent full English breakfast or take away cod and chips in Mexico City?
    The real question here is: who in their right mind would want an English breakfast or cod & chips if they're in Mexico City? Seriously! ;)

But clearly there are people on here who enjoy Mexican food... Tex-Mex food even... Indian food... Enough said!
    Sad to hear that Amigo's isn't up to scratch.... that does seem to happen to a lot of places starting out with good intentions and then hitting the reality of doing business in a crowded market like London.

Currently on way home to London from visit to family in California - ate at several different Mexican so have maxxed out for a while.
    Wow, so I've also been to Amigos now. The management here were surly, and the staff miserable. The chimichanga had lettuce put in it before it was deep fried (and you were thinking eating MacDonalds pickles was like eating snot...). The guac I asked for wasn't provided (though that sounds now like a good thing), the meat inside was dry and mainly tasteless, the beans on the side came from a can, etc etc. I'm no great fan of Mexicali, but I would never go back to Amigos.

Fwiw, for good and fresh vaguely-Mexican food, I'd recommend walking down Upper Street to Chilangos or Tortilla. Neither of which are perfect, but...
    What a shame - I'm sory to hear your experience was the opposite to ours- we must have happened on it on a good night! That's very annoying and disappointing - bit nervous about trying it again now - sorry all!