The Noble under new management

2»

Comments

• edited 8:27AM
    @JoeV I didn't say tipping was mad, I meant the American system of heavily underpaying your staff then expecting that to be made up by compulsive tipping is mad.

I am not anti-tipping. I tip more often than not and typically more than 10% - places that add a service charge are normally doing themselves out of money from me.

However, a tip should be optional and an act of generosity - the clue is in the word.

It should not be automatically added by the establishment for a member of staff just doing their job - if places want to do that they should put it in the price of stuff, service compris, as done in much of Europe, and pay their staff better.

The fact that establishments here only started widespread adding of automatic service charges to bills to diddle staff out of their tips and get away with paying them lower wages, to the point where there had to be legislation brought in to tackle that, says all you need to know.

I suspect this debate makes me look mean - I'm not. However, I do share the same view as many others that I will tip when I choose, not when the establishment does.

@Ali - I always use to tip the barber, now I have clippers so reward myself with a beer.
  • edited December 2017
  • Anyway, back on topic, I think the Noble has gone a bit over the top on service now. Last night the bar staff were on the prowl constantly checking every table to see who needs another drink. I have no idea if they are expecting tips or just trying to be generally nice.

All very well but it doesn't feel like a pub any more, more like a Chinese hotel bar in Hong Kong, where they whip your empty glass away the moment you put it down and harass you for a refill. All very intimidating. I think prefer somewhere where I'll be left alone. Back to the Stapleton!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IanIan
    edited 8:27AM
    @misscara - it's all new staff now.
  • I have been a regular at the Noble for a few years. Yes it's not quite the same as when Adam was there but it's doing OK and after some teething troubles is getting there. The chef makes the best yorkshires, there are two of the old staff working there - both lovely and know the business, the new Geordie bar man or possibly bar manager gave me my scarf back I'd left and forgotten about some days later, so clearly pays enough attention to the clientele which I think is great. The staff as a whole (new Aussie and a new Polish girl I think, plus another woman with dark hair) are all friendly and getting to grips with the idiosyncracies of some of the locals. Plus there are still loads of dogs. All in all, different but still better than the other options by some margin.