Watchmaker?

edited December 2011 in About this site
<P>Can anybody recomend a good watchmaker in the SG / Crouch end area?</P> <P>I need a repair to a semi-decent watch.</P>

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • <P>The world's best watchmaker is in Clerkenwell, 'the little yellow shop'. One of the last of the Clerkenwell artisans. Ticks all the boxes right down to the Dickensian stereotype.</P> <P><SPAN class=st>John Lloyd at The <STRONG>Little Yellow</STRONG> Watch <STRONG>Shop</STRONG>, 62 <STRONG>Clerkenwell</STRONG> Road, EC1, 020 7253 4925.  Hope he's still open.</SPAN></P>
  • <p>When my great grandfather first came to this country he was apprenticed to a watchmaker and spent 2 years in Clerkenwell learning to make watches and jewellery. He spent all day working and then slept under his bench at night!</p><p>The jewellers in Muswell Hill - opposite the Post Office is not bad but I took my very good watch to Selfridges when it needed repairs. They are, as you would expect from the fact that they sell excellent watches, fantastic. They sent mine to Switzerland for me for cleaning and mending - cost about £80. The watchmenders is out the back, through the stationery section. Harrods does a similar service but I can't be doing with all those sphinxes.</p>
  • My great great grandfather was a concertina maker in Clerkenwell.
  • Really? That is truly impressive!
  • Many thanks, I will check out the one in MH at the weekend.
  • I second Clerkenwell for watch repairs.
  • I can highly recommend the little watch/clock shop (opposite the church on Cranley Gardens) - on Park Road at the little parade of shops at the foot of Muswell Hill., between  the new Haelen shop and Londis Have taken watches there for years and recently got my father-in-laws very lovely antique wall clock repaired and serviced at a very reasonable price there.  Very steady nice old Italian craftsman.   <br>