Corner cafe closed?

edited December 2011 in About this site
<P> </P> <P> </P> <P> </P> <P>It seems to have been, for the last few days. The one on the corner of SGR and Tolly. Temporarily, or permanently? The latter, I wouldn't be surprised to learn, with competition from much better places, all around. Its only merit, latterly, in my estimation, were the comfortable little armchairs, but they were to be set against the never-ending din of trashy TV, and crashy board games playing.</P>

Comments

• this cafe has closed down permanently due to problems the people who were running the cafe were having with the shop.this is next to christopher charles estate agents,cafe which used to have seats out on pavement.   
  • No bad thing.  Perhaps a real Italian deli might return.
  • edited December 2017
  • The old Italian deli was great.  Used to love the toasted ciabata/panini sandwiches in there.<div><br></div><div>Moon/Sun on Fonthill Road seems to be struggling too.</div>
  • edited December 2011
    <p>It was lovely.  Never went there much, but had some amazing food! </p><p>I can't remember when it happened but it seemed to turn into something a bit odder over the last few years.</p><p>Oh, I once saw Gilbert and George sitting outside. Probably about 2001.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>
  • Moon/sun does well on it's romantic nights but oddly not for breakfast . According to florist nearby the Sgr corner cafe will either be Starbucks, Costa (which gets my vote) or an extension of Nandos but that seems illogical unless it is fast takeaway version of the class Nandos restaurant opposite. It's a prime spot, I have mentioned it to Tony at the N4 pub who is looking for a more central sport for a lively sports bar (without the posher dining aspect of N4 ) - basically a lads bar. Prob would do well with the betting shop close by and with that and Morefit a sports-focus to the area. I hope not Starbucks though. Chang
  • Just what I was thinking.
  • I think I would leave the area if Chang got his way. I wouldn't mind a Costa, though - as long as it didn't spoil Vagabond's chances - which I suppose it would, so -  as you were!
  • edited December 2017
  • I would suggest that a vagabond customer and Starbucks customer are different. Vagabond could work on full capacity with a small loyal customer base, where starbucks pick up the bigger on-the-go high street mob. If anything, it'd probably mean that people would see Vagabond and bring more custom or at least maintain it. I hate Starbucks, but its another sign that the area is seen as a place to invest which helps most businesses. However, there would be some losers....probably BBM (to a degree) and Front Room. Sports bar? All pubs are sports bars when they've got a monster plasma screen tv in it. Even the "gastro" pubs like the OD and Stapleton have them. As far as i can see, Sports bars just encourage people not to talk to each other and stare at a big light box for 3-4 hours whilst getting slowly innebriated. Don't think we need a place solely with that pupose, we have lots of places to do that already....the difference is that you don't get the commentary, and the football is played out to a soundtrack of David Gray, not Andy Gray.
  • Sports bars have a vibe of their own, try that one in Haymarket. What do ppl think of Alan Hansen's comments on "coloured' players? I have a vested interest as I am sort of coloured myself.
  • I've walked by the Haymarket bar many times. The vibe seems to be of the drunken tourist variety. Not something I'd welcome in SG.<br>
  • edited December 2017
  • I think comparing Hampstead and SGR is not particularly useful. Despite what some say, SGR is not yet that gentrified. I don't think I live in the same universe as Chang. N4 & posh eating? N4 is lively but without the crime? The fights and arguments out on the street in the middle of the night would suggest otherwise. Chang, next time you're there, tell Tony thanks for his continued positive contribution to this part of Finsbury Park. I particularly enjoyed being woken up at 4.30am a couple of days before Christmas by the usual group having an argument in the middle of Fonthill & Moray Rd.
  • edited January 2012
  • <P>Please not a "Sports Bar". And I really like sports. Would much rather have a Starbucks.</P> <P>That location needs a cafe or restaurant which can make good use of the tables outside, got quite a unique location in the amount of pavement space it has available.</P>
  • I can't understand why anyone would welcome yet another chain on SGR. Doesn't anyone have any imagination? <div>I agree with Fin - another independently run cafe would be nice in that location. </div>
  • Good deli would be good, to replace a bad one. I'm happy to have chain stores, they are usually pretty good as  back in time they were really good independent stores who on the strength of their success managed to open up more stores and become a chain. <br>
  • Oh if I had the money, I would open a little bistro with home-made food and some events revolving around literature.<br><br>
  • I can't believe a good deli wouldn't make money there. 
  • I love the thought of somewhere independent round here that sold decent cheese, salami, etc.<br>
  • Let's club together and create a Stroud Green Org deli!  With wifi!
  • With sports on plasma tv s and a late licence. Sounds good.
  • I was going to say we should have somewhere without wifi and (despite/because I have kids) a policy on keeping the noise down (like the quiet carriage on the train).  I realised that I've just described a library from the 90s.  With cheese.<br><br><br>