Where would you move to?

edited March 2006 in General chat
If you had to move outside London. Read these comments first:

http://www.businessbricks.co.uk/2005/11/10/top-five-fast-cities/

Bristol and Brighton are candidates for me. Scotland might be interesting were it not so far away and so cold.

Comments

• edited 7:45PM
    how about cape town?
    I'm stuck on the idea of being within striking distance of London. Maybe I need to give that up.
    Australia - Melbourne or Sydney
    USA - San Francisco or Wine region
    Europe - France

This is worrying that the UK doesn't even feature in my mind. I must me deeply unhappy!

Why would you want to go to Scotland? You would be very very miserable
    I always got the impression that Edinburgh is a nice city. Never really spent any time there though.

I notice that Haywards Heath isn't on the list...?

If we're going global, I'd be tempted by Vancouver, New York and Boston. Paris is cool. Bordeaux is nice - but how do you make a living?
    we won't need to. I'm going to win the lottery tonight. must remember to buy a ticket!

New York would be on my list I think. UK only really features because that's where everyone I know lives!
    Yes. HH isn't on the list which should be a concern really!
    Never been to New York. Would like to go.

I think if you wanted to live in the North Pole then you will find some way of making a living.

I am going to win the lottery. Then all will be fine. However, I don't think moving to HH is practical to win any lottery or competition where money is the prize. For example on a Tuesday between the 2 episodes of CSI there is a competition to win £10,000. The person who wins always live in a shit hole of a town in Scotland, Wales or northern England!
  • I realise I'm replying to a thread that's shedloads older than my membership on this site (but that's work procrastination for you...)<br><br>Me and my missus constantly play this game.  We nearly moved to Bristol off the back of it a couple of years ago, and ended up moving to Stroud Green instead.  Sort of the same.  Except not.<br>
  • edited January 2012
    Without reading the article first: Australia. I have a few friends over there and it's warm. ;-)<br><br>An and you got me running after you. hahaha.<br><br>Did you see the prompt on the writers thread? Stop playing on the forum and get cracking with writing. I'm doing exactly that now.<br>
  • @Stella I did and I will.  Got to get this tender out first though...<br>
  • <P>I heard that Sydney is more expensive than London these days? My vote goes to Lisbon - its close, sunny, its easy to communicate in english, and they have amazing seafood :D</P>
  • AliAli
    edited January 2012
    Your right Oz is incrediably expensive  to live in, Melbourne property is more expensive than London, when I was at the boxing  day test couple  of years ago it was around £7 a pint for very bad beer in the pubs.  Great place though, go and get a dump truck drivers job in WA  <A href="http://www.getajobinthemines.com/dump-truck-jobs-mines.html">http://www.getajobinthemines.com/dump-truck-jobs-mines.html</A>;
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • San Francisco Bay Area, preferably Sausalito. Or Paris please.
  • My brother lives in Sausalito and loves it - good choice!<br>
  • Barcelona.  You've got the beach, the mountains, urban nightlife and lovely food.  Also close enough for friends to visit.<br>
  • <P>@Misscara - I reckon Brighton beats Lewes hands down. You can still get a lovely pint of Harveys there, but without all the snobs. Although their Bonfire Night is pretty epic...</P> <P>My unrealistic ambitions involve being rich and living in Paris. Although I do have a strange affection for Cardiff for some reason.</P>
  • Cambridge or Tynemouth. <br>
  • I would be boring: Brooklyn. <div><br></div><div>Andy, why Paris not Berlin? Paris seems cool only in hauntological sense, while Berlin lives in the future. </div>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sea frets happen in the summer too!  Agree it is a lovely place,we lived in Newcastle and loved visiting especially the market on Sundays.  We even looked at a few houses there too but ended up sticking to Newcastle.<div><br></div><div>I have a list of places I would like to live in depending on the mood I am in/position of our imaginary finances:</div><div>Glasgow (but too rainy), Edinburgh (New Town), Barcelona (top of the list for a looong time). Seville (but avoiding summer mths), Verona or Salamanca.</div><div><br></div><div>I also have a soft spot for Harrogate and the Northumberland Coast in general.</div><div><br></div><div>Just don't make me choose!</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • When I win the lottery I'm going to buy a second home in Tynemouth. There's one with massive windows overlooking King Edward's Bay that I've got my eye on. Either that or one on Percy Gardens.<br>
  • I like the old terraced ones on the main street near the station opposite the private school. I think there is a pink one and a yellow one. There is also one with a crescent moon on the garden gate which may have a connection with the Turks Head further down the road?
  • It would be a toss up between moving back to Los Angeles or Malham in North Yorkshire its stunning. <a href="http://www.malhamdale.com/">http://www.malhamdale.com/</a>;
  • @misscara I grew up in Steyning. It is a great village. Fully stocked high street because it is just about far enough away from larger towns like Brighton. I share your views about Brighton's more scummy parts. Ditchling is beautiful, but very very small.
  • I still dream of having a flat near the centre of Buenos Aires.  Sun in the summer...sun in the summer.<br>
  • <p>I have always had a dream of moving to Ulan Bator.</p><p>Was talking to Miss Annie about it last night its a place I have always wanted to go to.</p>
  • Nuuk, Greenland, the north-east side of town, for me. But only with a good internet connection. That or Bournemouth.
  • I'm retiring to Wales. What a surprise! But I may spend some time with Mrs.TB and family in Santa Cruz and San Francisco. Travel is great.