Dixie Chicken

Comments

• <P>it would be a criminal offense but would it be morally wrong to throw  a brick through the window of dixie chicken?</P> <P>it is the sort of question that the great philosophers like Rodney Descartes,Norman Kant or Derek Hume might ask?</P> <P>if you are sick of the corporate riff raff element like the chavved up pikey old fast food chains mucking up your area perhaps you could drive down from muswell hill;park outside dixie chicken in your 4 by 4 jeep and accidently slam it into reverse and mistakenly ram raid dixie chickens shop window...thus delaying their opening ...and their wretched bad taste soul destroying flouresant overly bright neon shop sign chavving up pikey style our once peacefull stroud green rd...</P> <P>metaphorically speaking of course..not literally encouraging criminal damage of course...although,you know...</P> <P>  </P> <P> </P>
  •  "once peacefull stroud green rd" !
  • 'Grand opening' last night. Special offer all chicken half price. £1.49 snack box can be yours for 75p.<br><br>The place was jammed with hoodie teenage scum.<br><br>I'm saying nothing more.<br>
  • <P>long queues of scruffy youths in dixie chicken almost spilling out of shop into street tonight...they can't get enough of it....</P> <P>is it essential for dixie chicken customers to have hoods up over puffa jackets,trainers and a baseball cap? </P> <P>"did u spill my nuggets on the floor?"</P> <P>"no iz u dissing my family?"</P> <P>punch punch  punch</P> <P>local snt must be delighted...</P> <P>no doubt william hill will be putting odds on when the first fight breaks out in dixie chicken over fried chicken,beans and corn on the cob...5/3 odds on a punch up within next 24 yours </P> <P>nandos have a neon sign ,but its not a common tacky and tastless sign like dixie chicken</P> <P>the fish and chip shop that used to be called soba next to dixie  has unimaginatively called itself "CHIPPY"</P> <P>central government really does need to do something to ban "neon light" shop signs that chav up sg rd</P> <P>how many dog walkers will have to take chicken bones out of their dogs mouths when dogs munch on dixie chicken bones dumped on the pavement...this is a health threat to dogs...</P> <P>i really do resent sg being turned into a pikey chavved up neon light flashing chicken munching chav zone...awfull...</P> <P>call me a snob if you like but the yobbo element really have gone too far this time...quite like kfc occasionally though so bit hypocritical...just not in our backyard ...nimby..</P>
  • The southern slavery connotations of the name seem a bit unappetising to me, but if people want to queue up for that greasy factory farmed crap good luck to them. It's looking pretty popular with the half price food right now. If fried chicken fans think it's tasty then maybe that blighted spot will have found its level. SGR isn't exactly turning chicken shack all along the road, it's still a big old mixture with loves and hates for everyone.<br>
  • These chicken places always do ok. People seem to flock to them. I quite like chang's idea of someone driving their 4x4 into it. Selfish I am.
  • The chippy looks quite good actually, and more British than Dixie. It may give Tollingtons a run for it's money. The lady there is lovely and has a nice daughter, but half the menu on the wall is never available. But the cod, when just cooked, is great and lots of us in Lorne Rd go on Tuesday's . Cant see Joyce rushing out to Dixies even at those low prices. Chang
  • I love the fish and chips in Tollington's, but it's bloody expensive.  Hopefully this new gaff will bring the prices down.  Wasn't there one due to open on Wells Terrrace?<br>
  • <div><br></div><div>Tollington Fish & Chips are great, we don't need another one. The fact that we now have Mexicali, Dixie and a Chippy, bookended by a bookies and a Wetherspoons is not good news for the area. It looks terrible.</div><div><br></div>
  • Is Chapter 1 is goin to be a pound shop? I hope not. A Chinese takeaway would be great. Chang
  • I was thinking earlier a Gourmet Burger Kitchen would be nice, no need to schlep up to Crouch End for theirs. Or even a Tortilla - in true Stroud Green spirit, of course we must have at least two of every type of business. Mmm. <br>
  • Carluccios? Dunns? Monkey nuts? Marsala Zone? Crush? Lush? Wake up folks - this is SG . Dixey is what it's all about. Chang
  • Dixie firmly belongs in Lower SGR. As for Upper SGR.... the sky's the limit! ;)<br>
  • edited February 2012
    Yes of course Lower SGR is the rough end of things. It has Petek, Cats, Dotori, and of course Season. I think that we can reasonably claim Vagabonds and BBM too. Upper SGR has, ummm... Triangle and Sunshine Cafe?
  • Gourmet Burger Kitchen in CE has been gone for months. It later became a Banger Bros. (sausages?) and even that has since gone bust.
  • Oops. I was just telling a friend yesterday that I haven't been back to Crouch End for nearly a year.... <br><br>@miss annie And of course don't forget all those hair product shops, and that wonderful cheque cashing shop - we wouldn't want Lower SGR to go underappreciated! ;)<br>
  • <P>Don't like fried chicken, don't like Greggs, was hoping for a shoe shop.  Gutted.  Would seem my begging letters to Terry DeHavilland are going astray.   Incidentally my first job was as a street cleaner at £1.66 per hour in 1987.  When I got promoted to cleaning the public toilets in 1988 it rose to £1.72. It was great.  We were called The Wombles and the truck that dropped everyone off to work in the morning (the Womble lorry)  also picked us up from clubs on a Friday night and dropped us home.  Best job -  in terms of fun -  I ever had.  I thought I was loaded. </P>
  • <p>Oh, Terry never answers his letters - try Manolo. </p><p>In my first job I earned £8.80 per day as a Saturday girl at BHS.</p><p>@harpistic, I'll see the cheque cashing place and Paks and I'll raise your kebab house and Nicholas Nickleby.</p>
  • @miss annie You can have the Mexican place. PLEASE take it away. <br>
  • I haven't been in yet, is it really bad? Now, here's a quandry. Crouch Hill starts at Fiveways yes? So really Lower SGR would be up to Tollington Park and Upper SGR is from there to Fiveways, anything above that is Crouch Hill. So you can keep the Mexican place if you like.
  • Heh, at least I tried! :)<br>
  • It really will be the end if we end up with a Subway
  • Slightly unfair to bundle Mexicali into the same bracket as Dixie Chicken, one being a proper restaurant and the other one a fried chicken shack.<br><br>Mexicali may not be to everyone's taste, but it is busy, colourful and seems to be doing well<br><br>Loving the fact that Chippy is called that <br>
  • Unless the Stapleton, Old Dairy, Noble, Japan Crescent and MPC are not in SG then the border is further north.  The railway, perhaps.  Remember that that stretch of Crouch Hill was called Stroud Green Road until relatively recently.<br>
  • [Sorry, I pressed 'post comment' by mistake, instead of 'back to discussions' ---- that really was a blank message]<br>
  • Just realised I'm becoming even more of a bore, sorry.<br>
  • <P class=Name>@miss annie, you missed Megacafe off your list of eateries on Lower SGR - I had a cracking omelette there last week!</P> <P class=Name>Mexicali's not too bad for UK Tex-Mex, but not a patch on my fave Mexican in San Francisco...</P>
  • I'm biased against all Tex-Mex restaurants on principle. (There's a tedious argument about it on here from a while back). But as Papa L points out, it's doing well and certainly looks cheery! <br><br>Even the "authentic" Mexican restaurants in London seem to have been going downhill lately - I've given up on Benito's Hat and Tortilla. <b>Very </b>happy memories of Mestizo's Sunday brunch, though - mmm!<br>
  • <p>@Arky<;/p><p>A bit geeky maybe but certainly not boring.</p><p> </p>