Remember to vote

edited May 2006 in Local discussion
Though God knows who you're supposed to vote for these days.

I'm sure, in the days of class-driven tribal loyaties, life was a lot easier. But these days it's a question of who is least incompetent.

Comments

• edited 8:33AM
    Perhaps give the power back to the Monarchy.
    Islington Council is now officially hung, with a minority LD leadership.

Lib Dems 24 (from 36)
    Labour 23 (from 11)
    Green 1 (from 0)
    Con 0 (from 1)

Don't know about Haringey. Can someone in the 0208 region let us know?
    What a waste of my vote........
  • LizLiz
    edited 8:33AM
    You live in the wrong borough, toryboy.

How wierd are the results, though.

Three neighbouring boroughs:

Hackney: Labour hold
    Islington: Lib Dem loss to NOC, Lab much increased
    Camden: Lab loss to NOC, Lib Dem much increased

It's all about the local campaigning...
  • edited May 2006
    Most worrying is my hometown Dagenham going to BNP. I laughed actually, even though its not a laughing matter, just knowing the various reasons why they're succeeding there (I love him dearly, but one look at my Dad and his views explain everything). Apparently the BNP won nearly everything they went in for (around 11 candidates i think), and the guy shrugged and said, "We should have put up 40, we might have taken the borough." They probably would have. Scary. Harringey: Labour 30 Lib Dem 27 Looks like the Cons didn't even stand.
  • LizLiz
    edited 8:33AM
    The BNP thing really isn't surprising....for the last however many years, pretty much any focus group I've done on public services has included the phrase 'I'm not racist but...'. It used to be a joke at work....not any more.

What I think it does say is that local campaigning really makes a difference for smaller parties. So, the BNP probably could have won more seats but don't have the resources to campaign for all of them. Also applies to the Lib Dems in London - hardly any campaigning in Islington (and great Lab tactics), but loads in Camden, and in Richmond. The Tories just know where it's not worth bothering at all.
    Well, the upshot of this election has only reinforced my apathy towards politics. I care for none of them, and none seem anywhere near engaging me. I looked at the election results like I do League Two. Slight interest to see where my mates teams have failed. Not very positive or uplifting really. My Grandad would turn in his grave.