How to spot a hipster

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mmmm   may have seen some sporting furry  kiddy animal rucksacks.<div><br></div><div>Sounds like you are going to be the height of hip alone though, hope you report back how it all went! </div>
  • Be careful with rolling up the trews, it's just a few millimetres and an iron between hipster and Eurotrash on the trouser front.
  • Hipsters are people too
  • That's what they say JoeV but I'm yet to be convinced.
  • <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(252, 250, 231);">Hipsters just wanna be free! They wanna be free to do what they wanna do.</span>
  • But you will always find hipsters in the kitchen at parties.
  • I quite like hipsters. Hell, I even like Shoreditch. Fixies, otoh, are shit.
  • I've never tried a Fixie, would like to must to see how it feels.<br>
  • I tried one once went about 7 feet and fell off. Was a bit on the small side but just felt uncomfortable.
  • Hm. I grew up with a backpedal brake, so Fixie shouldn't be that much of a difference. I personally don't see any point in riding one, braking with your legs will only cause knee problems. I'd understand single speed for its easy maintenance, but Fixie? <br>
  • Exactly. Who the hell think brakes are a bad idea? It's like furless cats.
  • Actually, the fixed wheel is considered a brake. I Just don't see why someone would rely on that only. Chains can break (or come off) and then they'd be pretty fucked ... And since Hipsters ain't got no clue re chain tension, they cycle around with those sloppy chains. <br>
  • A hipster is very easy to spot. <div><br></div><div>Just try and find someone where you think they are thinking all of the following.....</div><div><br></div><div>please look at me </div><div>notice me</div><div>discuss me</div><div>think i'm funny</div><div>think i'm clever</div><div>think i'm fashionable</div><div>think i know about cool music</div><div>think i'm all the above without even trying</div><div>realise that i am the way i am because i'm being ironic</div><div><br></div><div>The execution of the above is typically delivered in a fairly rude and pretentious style as though they don't care about anything......apart from ironic things like....."i totally love Dale Winton, he's inspiring" which are delivered with enthusiasm and volume.</div><div><br></div><div>I have met many hipsters, and generally freedom to express themselves in whatever way they choose should be encouraged. The problem i have found, is that they tend to express their frank opinions with very little self awareness. If they were nice, no-one would care. And because the motivations for their schemer are so vapid, people don't warm to them. Its like everyone else is annoying to them and we get the fallout.</div><div><br></div><div>I would suggest that people wearing massive black rimmed glasses, cinos turned up and riding fixies missed the hipster boat long ago, read a blog about it, thought they wanted to be like that, and "ironically" just turned out to be less individual than the man wearing a Primark sweater and jeans.</div>
  • Looks like Stroud Green is rebelling against Hipsters. We should have signs with a crossed out Hipster up everywhere, like the ones in front of shops saying no dogs allowed.<br><br>So I'd happily cheer: Keep Hipsters out of Stroud Green! Hipster invasion averted. <br>
  • Can i put on my old scatty hat and ask  maybe very  silly question. <div><br></div><div>Do hipsters know and admit they are hipsters ?</div>
  • No, they're oblivious to being Hipsters. They'll tell you that they're a 'creative individual'.<br>
  • Its one of the most insulting things you can ask....... "are you a hipster?".<div>I think a hipster would not even acknowledge that a hipster movement existed, let alone admit they were one.....it would completely defeat the point of their image perception to be individual and unique. </div>
  • edited January 2014
    I think in Britain it's a term of abuse.  I know of one hipster in Germany who is happy to call himself one.  He makes a living (not much of one) flying around the world to art fairs selling fairly bad art, but he likes the whole scene. To him it's a playful movement.<div><br></div><div>And as many of you know hipster was often used back in the 50s and 60s to describe a jazz fan or beat poetry type person.  Kerouac, Ginsberg....all raved about the 'angel headed hipster'/ </div>
  • Ah right, thanks.<div><br></div><div> It is very complicated , earlier thought may have grasped what one was, lost it , then had the bright idea just to go around asking people if they were one, not advisable then .<div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
  • edited January 2014
    We should go hipster fishing, put a pug on a long lead and real it in after half a hour to see what scruffy Herberts we have caught.
  • I.m hoping we dont have to storm the pub and rescue krappy,<div><br></div><div> He may be pleased as punch with his new look  be in there slapping them all on the back banding the hipster word around in an attempt to fit in and telling them he is one too! Could get very messy!</div>
  • That would be a hipstervention.
  • Goodness, I'm normal! That's a first!<br><br>Re outfits: everything's coming back. I still can't believe that the awful neon colours from the 80s were back. Dreadful. I owned a few neon things, but in in the 80 I almost exclusively wore pink, and I'm ashamed to admit it. My taste in clothes was as dreadful as my perm. <br>
  • edited January 2014
    Fashion used to be on a four decade cycle but it's getting shorter. The 60's were the 20's - bobs, flapper looks, androgynous bodies, the 70s/30s - floppy hats, feather boas, ankle strap platforms, all those tea dresses, 80's/40's - big shoulders, ruffles, peplums, sportswear.
  • I think everything is speeded-up now.  Although the 80s as any era was a mix of all sorts.  Rockabilly, new romantic, 60s darkness (JAMC, retro-Velvet Underground)....  But it's now even more available thanks to the internet.  Imagine how a teen or 20 something minds would appropriate this.  <div><br></div><div>The greatest rebellion and form individualism might now be to just be yourself.  <br><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
  • <font size="2" style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">@Detritus, good to know.  I take it we can leave the</font><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 10pt;"> </span></font><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><font face="lucida grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, tahoma, sans-serif"><span style="font-size: 17.77777862548828px; line-height: 28.479999542236328px;">hipstervention of krappy in your capable hands, though I would be pleased to re home his new puppy if he now favors pugs.</span></font></span>
  • Yawn. Hipster = catch all term used by older (a bit past it, probably used to be 'cool' and dress a bit funny too in their younger days) people referring to younger people who are into current things that young people get into.<div><br></div><div>When a whole generation dress in a particular way / self identify via similar set of interests - is that hip?</div><div><br></div><div>Its like our grandparents up in arms over "teenagers" when they got invented in the 50's..</div><div><br></div>