How to spot a hipster

124»

Comments

• I have one hipster friend who lives locally and he favours the Park Tavern. Thought he was a complete berk when I first met him, but turns out he's actually lovely.
  • Good for him, of all the local hostelries the Park Tavern is the one that is just a pub. No effort at scrubbing up at all, although they have gone for a garish paint job for the outside recently.
  • The Park Tavern is a true gem. It also now has an ale on tap - Doom Bar.<br>
  • I love the PT, and they've done a great job decorating (inside and out). Dennis is a lovely man, so are most of the customers. It's been quite busy in the evenings, of late, which may have to do with the 'new look'. Wishing them all the best. A very modest, and honest, place.<br>
  • As someone in their mid-20s (who, for the record isn't a hipster and has lived in SG for a few years) I just wanted to say that you those of bemoaning 'hipsters' all sound so much like a bunch of old farts. Do you not have anything better to do than sit on the internet complaining?
  • I was quite nice about hipsters, it's a fad and I'm very tolerant about those. I have plenty of other things to do but enjoy a moan about lots of other things. Isn't moaning and looking at pictures of cats what the Internet was invented for? Mind you in my twenties I would have been too busy getting up to mischief to be bothered about what the 'old farts' were saying.
  • I agree I feel very uncomfortable with the generalisations made. I think most people here worry that the hipsters will destroy our community as they have done in previous areas. I think we have little choice but to embrace the hipsters because they are coming. Hug a hipster may be the best way forward. 
  • They were all friendly enough in the WE when i was in but did part like the red sea when ever I wanted through ( some even impressively  jumping out the way) so get the impression a hug from me would be the last thing they would want! They did look a little scared bless!
  • Stella<------utterly boring, old? Define old, please.<br><br><br>
  • <P>Complaining on a forum is par for the course. Anonymous venting.....good for the soul sometimes.</P> <P>I'm 35 so caught the end of hipsterlife in my 20's in East London. I just sat back and observed what was going on. Any generalisation has its caveats where its not applicable, but i'm happy with mine. Hipsterlife looks quite fun, but for me its fun at any expense and manners and courtesy appear to be a thing of the past. I'm not old enough to be an old git, so i think my observations are fair based on my experiences. There will be others where the experience is positive. Its ok for me to comment on them, its ok for you to defend them.</P> <P>As for people being "uncomfortable" with generalisations. Sometimes i don't think there's a "politicallycorrect-omiter" to measure SG.org as its off the scale! In the grand scheme of things sometimes its necessary to generalise to make a point. I've yet to hear a group sticking up for those who are deemed to be "chavs" or someone saying that it made them feel uncomfortable being called a "cyclist". </P> <P>As always people pick and choose when to be offended, and again, its on behalf of others. </P>
  • What BrodieJ says...<br><br>Many of my friends, colleagues and even some family could end up being classed as hipsters using our sweeping generalisations. But I doubt they need defending, or anyone to get offended on their behalf. We're not talking an oppressed minority here.<br><br><br><br>
  • Now I like them even less, those damn hipsters!<br>
  • Agree with Brodeij and Papa L.  I think attacking people over race or because they're poor is worse.  The hipsters tend to be quite privileged.  And it's their privilege and preciousness that often gets on people's nerves.<div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">I think hipsters are generally not that bad and I know a few.  It's not just the old who rant against them.  A friend of mine aged 27 really doesn't like them.  I have to calm him down sometimes.</span></div>
  • I don't think hipsters are particularly privileged; they want to appear like they are. It's the arrogance that gets to me. They way they talk and act ... urgh! <br>
  • This morning there was a hipster unicycling down SGR. On the pavement, I might add. Not on.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Misscara, maybe you're right.  
  • Bloody hell this an awful thread.
  • Andy, you're right there.  
  • I quite like it, its not about cycling
  • edited January 2014
    <font size="1">Sorry. I didn't mean it.<br><br><br></font><br><br>
  • Very interesting, and a tonic for some of the lazy hatred one sometimes sees here: Can hipsters save the world? http://gu.com/p/46aqj
  • "......In online retail and marketing, this country leads the rest of the world. These are areas where creativity yields real value......." etc etc etc Gobbledegook.
  • The more hipsters the better. They are more likely to vote green. The green have the best social and economic policies
  • I had a proof copy of the Flat White Economy, read it over Christmas. It's very good actually. There's a new book (the name escapes), about living lo-fi, which is also very good.
  • What's so confusing about that sentence Krappy?
  • edited March 2015
    Is a misuse of the word 'creative'. Creative = Rembrandt, Gibson, Tolstoy, Almodavar, Aarvo Paart, the Atom Gallery and my child's painting. Hipster website that markets and sells stuff to people = manipulation. Not really gobbledegook, just bullshit
  • Do the Greens actually have economic policies....?<br><br>Think I may buy Flat White Economy, sounds interesting.<br>
  • edited March 2015
    <div>If someone creates a website that presents something in a new and successful way (regardless of whether their product is in itself creative), that's not being creative? The creators of Tumblr, or Facebook, or Vanilla Forum software (or, hell Amazon for that matter), they weren't being creative?<br><br>I confess that sounds like snobbery to me.<br></div>
  • ASOS and Net A Porter, Mr Porter, have transformed the way fashion is sold online with things like video catwalk shows etc. Fashion contributes a vast amount to the UK economy. Most of the Old Master artists were working to order with quite a strict brief from wealthy benefactors or the (Catholic) church. The Atom Gallery, splendid as it is, is marketing other people's art to sell to customers. You can be creative and commercial. I think Selfridges window displays are incredibly creative but their sole purpose is to sell products.