Street Burger & Burrito - Phase 2

Comments

• There's been some pretty ropey establishments on SGR and never once have I seen someone compare their food to dogfood or nail clippings.  I think you need re-assess your definition of "honest and genuine" and I for one didn't find it useful.<div><br></div><div>I haven't been so can't rate their food (I am planning to go soon) but I would prefer to support local businesses and offer constructive feedback where appropriate.</div>
  • I do expect some to have negative experiences, that's life. I tell my staff that mistakes in work, and life for that matter are good.... But we grow, learn from them and never make the same mistake twice. I appriciate constructive criticism, it helps us move forward and tweak as we go. Ps. Our coffee offering is still not great as I bought a rubbish machine and our veggie dogs need work. Finding a good large veggie dog supplier that doesn't lie about the sausage skin being animal based (happens a lot) to match the meat ones (9 inch cumberlands) is proving very difficult indeed. But I'll find one... Soon!!
  • On a side note, I'm pretty sure My Cottage Cafe are struggling. I'd love for people to support them too where possible. She is looking into selling.
  • <p>They are completely screwed by their tiny shop front which gives absolutely no indication of what the inside is like.</p>
  • I almost took that unit and turned it into a late night cocktail bar. I thought there was one coming to wells terrace but I've seen no movement on that front. You're right about the front, and I know you're not a fan of my neon, but at least you can't say it's difficult to know what we offer!!
  • TURN THAT PLACE INTO A LATE-NIGHT COCKTAIL BAR<div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">please</span><br></div>
  • <font color="#555555" face="Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"><span style="font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">My Cottage Cafe changed their menu from a cafe menu to a kebab place which is disappointing as we don't need any more of those. I used to go there when it sold cafe food. </span></font><div><font color="#555555" face="Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"><span style="font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br></span></font></div><div><font color="#555555" face="Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"><span style="font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">A late night establishment would be great! </span></font></div><div><font color="#555555" face="Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"><span style="font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br></span></font></div><div><font color="#555555" face="Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"><span style="font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">If anyone needs a dj ;) </span></font></div>
  • Cafe food, everything with chips place that serves brilliant breakfast. Like Workers on Upper St. I probably wouldn't go to a late night cocktail bar but it's a great idea. Sugar Lounge used to be the place for that but there's nowhere now. I don't mind the neon, just thought it wasn't doing any favours blocking the view into your place. I'm a huge fan of neon in general.
  • Surely we've got enough greasy spoons / cafes doing fry-ups, sandwiches etc?<div><br></div><div>What's the Lebanese food like at My Cottage Cafe?<br><div><br></div><div>Anyone know if the cocktail bar that was set to open on Wells Terrace is still going ahead?</div></div>
  • I can't remember where I was (Atom Gallery?) but someone told me that the Wells-Terrace-cocktail guy had purchased some artwork for that new cocktail bar.
  • Something must be holding him back. Licensing or funding perhaps? On a side note our cocktails at Street are very good, well worth a go. No pre-mix or cheap nonsense goes into them. Genuine hangovers, no imitations. As for me turning my cottage into a cocktail bar... The coffers are empty I'm afraid. I would've thought the London Cocktail club would do great in that space. Or a SlimJims type affair. That was my thinking 2 years back.
  • The Lebanese food at Gadz is worth a try. Doesn't look much but fantastic home made chicken salads with all the hummus, pine nuts, chilli and pomegranate seeds you could want to stuff your face with.
  • You'd be surprised how few decent fry up places there are. Hamlet is the only excellent one locally.
  • @krappyrubsnif I think you are right. I was just very disappointed in the food. And then when I read the comment thread before posting, it just made things worse as the owner of this business does not seem to take criticism very well.<br>Having said that, I do feel full of vitality.....<br>
  • @NorthNineteen I think it's great that you support local businesses although I don't know what you mean when you say "There's been some pretty ropey establishments on SGR" I really do not understand this comment? What does it mean?<br>My definition of a review of a restaurant that is "honest and genuine" would simply be based on someone who has visited the restaurant and had eaten it's food(unlike yourself as you readily admit!!??)<br>I have not been to North Nineteen but I have been told by numerous people that it is fab.I plan to go one day.<br>
  • I dont want to live anymore
  • We've had post-modernism, post-rock, post-structuralism.  I think 2015 is when Stroud Green became post-Stroud Green. People arguing over expensive cheeseburgers?  The last  five years were a warning.  BBM, Seasons, and Vagabond.  Now it's about burgers.  Transition time, I think.<div><br></div><div>SG Modernist period was pizza.  Now it's Burgers, hot dogs and pork.  </div><div><br></div><div>I'm quite happy at the moment.  Just find it amusing. Social observation.</div><div><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
  • Try to ignore certain opinions on the internet for your own sanity!<div><br></div><div>Good to see fourpure on the drinks menu - I know the guys who set it up and its great beer.  Much more affordable than Beavertown too! You try to get Hammerton for the draught.</div><div><br></div><div>I will be in when I have some ££ in the pocket and have shed some ££ from the waistline.</div><div><br></div><div>I think my post was clear as it needed to be.</div>
  • <p>Honestly, listen to the majority not the vocal minority. Most of your reviews have been great, some have suggested tweaks. A couple haven't been happy. That's good going.</p><p><br></p>
  • I'm going this weekend and will post honest review - and I consider myself a particularly discerning burrito and burger muncher (BTW, hopsmith Burger is good)
  • Honest review?  <div><br></div><div>Will it be accepted???</div><div><br></div><div>What is honesty???x4</div><div><br></div><div>You guys talk a load of post modern non-truth.  </div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>Chrome development burger needs some 'real' appraisal.  </div><div><br></div><div>Bring on the truth police.  </div><div><br></div><div>We really have gone into post-stroud green la la land.  </div><div><br></div>
  • What's a chrome development burger @Kreuzkav? You must go to much fancier burger places than SG has to offer.
  • edited September 2015
    @ Miss Annie, I eat out in restaurants a few times a year but if it is in Stroud Green, Jai Krishna is the best place.  I'm veggie.  I find £3 quid for a veggie burger in the chippie near Tesco enough.  I'm a good cook as are many of my friends. Cheaper and nicer to eat in each other's places.<div><br></div><div>@Arkady.  Good photo.  I imagine food in those chrome places looking like that.  I'm very pre-post modern (gettin old) when it comes to food.  <br><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
  • <p>Still no idea. </p><p>Do you mean chrome like a Fifties diner?</p>
  • Kreuzkav you confused me with your words. When did this become an A Level English Lit class? Let's get back to nitpicking restaurant decor and how much we all like burgers!
  • Chrome sometimes doesn't work.  I like 50s diners.  If only there were a few left.  Not recreations. Post-chrome doesn't do it for me.  But it's the future, as are the Developments around here.  Thankfully, Cats and Jai Krishna still are here and haven't refurbished too much.  Porchetta is terrible now.  The Nepalese place I refuse to use after they pestered me with text promotions.
  • Brian Sewell's not dead, he's posting on SG.org
  • @ NappyFox. I'll take that as a compliment.  He wasn't afraid to be unfashionable.