Cocktail bar plan for empty shop near Finsbury Park station

Comments

• edited October 2015
    <a href="https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.565094,-0.1081319,3a,75y,315.02h,93.36t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1su0lFXOXrhBmfTlWkzl7X1A!2e0!6s//geo1.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=u0lFXOXrhBmfTlWkzl7X1A&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=43.91877&pitch=0!7i13312!8i6656">Tabu </a>I think. Been in the offing for a while. Shame to hear it's being turned down. Fonthill should retain its fashion thing, but the I can't see Wells Terrace staying that way with the area changing as it is. This already seems to have been accepted on Clifton Terrace, which used to be clothes shops and factories.
  • edited October 2015
    I agree with Arkady. <br>We don't have so much bars in the area apart from the different pubs.<br>It would have been nice.<br>
  • A bar is not suitable for a town centre? These would be the same town centres that the Mayor/GLA recognise are often struggling and should diversify beyond pure retail.  Islington are so progressive in the south of the Borough, don't know why they are such luddites up here.
  • I'm equally confused about why a cocktail bar would be 'inappropriate'. It didn't sound like they were planning to be a loud, drunken, Silver Bullet type place and s<span style="font-size: 10pt;">urely it's better than an empty shop?</span><div><div><br></div><div>There are more than enough 'fashion' shops in the area - I wonder how many locals actually use them, versus how many would enjoy a new bar.</div><div><br></div><div>I hope the owners find another suitable site in the area, but it would have been nice to have one on Wells Terrace to draw people away from SGR to support the businesses on Clifton Terrace and Fonthill Road.</div></div>
  • edited October 2015
    My prediction is that once City North is finished the existing shops on Wells Terrace will empty out. As on Clifton Terrace landlords will want new businesses that can afford higher rents, rather than the current identikit thrift shops. I think the Council are right to resist that on Fonthill Road, but Wells Terrace is another matter.
  • Would there be similar council opposition if a pub wanted to open there instead of a bar?
  • edited October 2015
    There aren't any thrift shops on Wells Terrace are there?<div><br></div><div>@CityofSin I know some locals shop at the fashion shops (including all the local teenagers for their Prom dresses), but the huge majority of customers come from outside the area to spend money in the clothes shops and Mr. Pak's various emporia and spend money in the local salons, restaurants, cafes and bars. Have you ever walked down Fonthill Rd on a Saturday? It's like Christmas Eve on Oxford St  rammed! People come from miles away to shop there, it's properly famous and well respected.</div><div><br></div><div>The bulk of the Mon - Fri business is by appointment and wholesale, many of those shops  design and make their own ranges which are produced locally and sold to businesses all over the world..</div><div><br></div><div>I would not like to see it closed down in favour of cocktail bars and fancy burger joints. Fortunately there is no chance of that any time soon as many of those businesses own their units.</div>
  • Interesting take Annie. Good to know that the 'fashion district' is robust. <div>Still, given how many of those shops there are, in rather a monoculture, I'd be happy to see one closed shop becoming a bar. We don't have a single non-pub bar around these parts since the demise of Chapter One.</div>
  • edited October 2015
    Miss Annie - Yes, I've seen it on a Saturday and you're right, it attracts a lot of people from outside the area. I wasn't saying it should be closed down in favour of 'bars and burger joints', just that there's no harm in an (already empty) unit becoming something many locals would welcome.<div><br></div><div>Shame there are no plans for a sky bar on top of City North or John Jones, that would really bring the hipsters in ;)</div><div><br></div><div>p.s. For anyone craving cocktails in the meantime, the bartender at Salvation in Noodles mixes great drinks (including a few of his own creations) and the W B Yeats now has a short list, including a really good Old Fashioned.</div>
  • I think that no shop on Fonthill road would be affected by re-develping a rather depressing part of Finsbury Park<div><br></div><div>Fonthill road is great and i like the diversity and the fact that there is a certain vibe to it, but adding a cocktail bar (and other more diverse businesses) can only enrich the area</div><div><br></div><div>The clothes shop will still exist and thrive, while more people will be able to bring something else to the area.</div><div><br></div><div>Opening an indipendent cocktail bar would also definitely help keeping chains away from the area, which is something everything kind of want in this forum.</div><div><br></div><div>So i don't really understand the choice of the council, considering all the other work is happening to make the area more appealing.</div>
  • edited October 2015
    <p>There is the Fox & Phoenix on Fonthill Rd, which is about as hipster as you'd want. I am at loss to understand what the 'something else' people want from the area is. Do people really expect to be able to walk round the corner to a cocktail bar wherever they happen to live? </p><p>I'd like a fabric shop, a craft shop, a fishmonger and a good bakery but I'm happy to walk or cycle to the numerous local ones. </p>
  • I do not understand Islington Council at all. <br><br>They don't mind coctail bars in N1 but poor old N4 can't have any because of the clothes shops? I just dont get it. It would really add to the area.  I think a groovy cocktail bar next to those polyester jeggings and glam gorgeous prom dresses would be a marvelous idea.<br><br>Quite bizarre really! Who makes these decisions - can we do a petition to get a coctail bar or another 3 added to the area, I for one will purchase a one of those beautiful dresses on Fonthill Road to wear to the opening! <br><br><br>
  • Maybe the cocktail bar should have put dress selling as part of their planning proposal offer. Might have made it through.  8-|
  • Very disappointing! I'd love a decent little cocktail bar around the station. SIN has good cocktails, but the bar is too small and restaurant too busy to really be a reliable post-work/theatre drink option.
  • Salvation in Noodles. Great cocktails and the barman can be persuaded to go off-menu if it's not too busy. As primefactor says though, it's too busy to just pop in for drinks (and rightly so - the food is great!)