Sash windows

IanIan
edited May 2008 in Local discussion
I want to get double glazing in my bedroom sash windows. Anyone got any tips for who to use?

Ta

Comments

• edited 12:26AM
    david's your man.
  • edited May 2008
    We went with Stroud Green Windows - couldn't not go local walking past the workshop everyday. They're really nice in there. We had two double-glazed sash windows put in, £750 each. The nice touch was our brick work outside the windows is curved and they curved the top of the frames to match without us even thinking about it. They seem to know all the local house types and what goes.

We had old rotting casement windows in there so they had to rip out the frames too, so if that's the case be prepared you're gonna have to fix your walls around the install after. Lots of filler and a replaster even, but if its a repair/refit windows only I'd say that doesn't apply.

So they sent a carpenter round (they sub contract the fitting), he measured up and two weeks later they came in with the windows and both were put in during a single day. Job done.
    Roughly, what size of windows, David?

All the windows in my house will need doing in the next few years, all twelve of them, some of them are fairly monstrous. I'd like to think I'd qualify for a substantial discount for such a big order.
  • edited May 2008
    Decent size, around 2 metres high and about 120-150cm wide at a guess. Classic Victorian really. Not small, but not your floor to ceiling type ones either.
    Ouch! Looks like I might have to sell a kidney or two.
    Yeah, it is quite an outlay, but you'll find after shopping around a bit that pricing is pretty good. You may get cheaper going with a national retailer but I doubt you'd get the same care.
  • IanIan
    edited 12:26AM
    Great, thanks David, that's very helpful.
    Stroud Green Windows built us a replica Victorian front door. Yes, it cost a bit but, as David pointed out, they really know the houses around SG and did a great job. Thought I should add my recommendation!
    You could sell Stroud Green sashes to go with the T shirts.
  • IanIan
    Ta for the tip - they were much cheaper than other quote I got and really good to deal with. They are making them quickly and dropping them off for me to paint (so they might not look quite as good as they should ...).

Anyone know a good painter/decorator to make good afterwards - and do a bit of other work for me? Ta
    I know a great painter and decorater, his name is Alex Hanson his number is 07787578300. I can recommend him highly enough, he is a lovely person, works very hard, is great at detail, not at all messy (no drips anywhere) has a very good eye and is very reasonable - I cant fault him.
  • IanIan
    Great, thanks Bridget.
    Update: We had all of our windows replaced in September. Stroud Green Windows did the work. The price was as David suggested but I'm very happy with the end result. Especially now that the weather has turned cold, the house is no longer draughty.