Is Home closing?

edited May 2008 in Local discussion
I went into Home yesterday to have a look at the 15% sale. There were lots of dirt marks on the walls where clocks used to be. There's still a lot of stock but a lot is not being replaced.

Anyone know if Home is closing or if it's just a sale to get people in?

Slightly off the beaten track, the Mela sign closed for refurbishment has gone and has anyone been to the Spice Zone?

Comments

• edited May 2008
    Had a take away from Spice Zone - Veg Dansak. Quality was good, portion was huge, but it was far to hot for me - way out of my Comfort Zone (sorry). But I'm prepared to give it another go, with something different, before final judgement. See [here](http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/555/best-curry/#Item_49)
  • edited 3:24PM
    I'm worried about Home. I do hope they survive. Put your Alan Sugar masks on, what would you recommend they do to add sales?
    Wigs? Kebabs?

Oh I don't know - I think it would be a real shame too. I'll sleep on it.
  • edited May 2008
    It would be shame. I often go in there to get something but rarely come out with anything. For instance, last time i was looking for a cool toaster - figured they might do a few - but no, all I found in there instead was Lucy buying yet another last minute present. It's like an opposite end of the retail spectrum Chrysos. Willing punters, reasonable array of product, but somehow never quite matches the two for a sale. With my Alan Sugar mask on, I'd take all that "Sale On" white paper out the windows - puts me off going in more than if you could see in. Surely they don't have to obscure the view to let you know there's some discounts inside. Secondly, and this has been touted on here before - they need to offer some more everyday stuff - like greetings cards (they may well do that now) and the like - stuff that gets you popping in then maybe seeing something else you like. Anything really - start selling quality coffee beans or something, anything that makes a local pop in for a £1.50 bag of something that you need every week to two and come out with £30's worth of art deco placemats.
    Home.....why would I go in to buy a mug with a Penguin book pastiche of 'Howard's End' on it (or something like that)? ......that's all they seemed to have in the window. Tell me I'm wrong. Actually, I never went in there. It looks doomed. Ex-it is much better for presents, at least you can buy stink bombs in there.
    Home offers, albeit novelty, some good quality stuff and is the only shop in the area that does. I like Ex-it as much as the next guy but we have a few of those, Home is a little more unique. From that point of view, it would be a shame. Give me a local high street with one of each thing rather than 5 of the same every time.
    @ David - I agree. However, unique's an absolute. Something's either unique or it isn't. It can't be more unique, let alone a little more unique.

Sorry for being a pedant. It's a personal bugbear of mine.

I hate Ex-it (am assuming that's the cheap 'gift' shop near the Mind store). It's shit. And Home has really gone for greetings cards big time. I think they could do worse than stock a bigger range of smellies for the girls.
    I know!! They should do the retro/utility homeware - a la (with apologies to Mlle Colette) Labour & Wait - voted Time Out store of the year or something like that.
    Well the guy behind the counter in Ex-It is really nice. And if I want to buy a candle or a little pot of that stuff you put in an incense burner then I know where to get it. I just knew I didn't have any taste.
    There simply isn't enough footfall to support what they're doing - which is trying to be like Indish in Crouch End or Gill WIng in Islington. There simply aren't enough people around here who want £35 Alessi Salt & Pepper shakers (and that, my friends, is A Good Thing). I think it has four choices. It can either go: 1. upmarket - become a destination shop for a special type of interiors product, do most of its sales online and spend money on PR. This would include kj's Labour & wait option. I know one person who would vote for it to become a glassware shop, selling name brand vases and stuff, but she's busy spending all her money keeping the current store afloat. 2. local - keep the bulk of the range, but dedicate some of the space to local artists - sell prints and jewellery. Again, selling online becomes important. So does PR. 3. everyday - go big on gifts, cards, mugs and last minute presents in the £10-£20 range. I think this is what they are trying to do now, but the stock seems haphazard - buying is really important here. 4. interiors - This is an area where lots of people are doing up their flats, but I'd guess most people shop in the ikea/john lewis/habitat bracket. So home is the place to go to get the signature thing that personalises your home. So have a mix of art, glass, interior design books + magazines, nice lampshades, kitchenware and soft furnishings. Maybe one or two signature bits of furniture. They could also offer an interior design service. You don't want to be seeing the brands that you see everywhere else (e.g. alessi) The customer here is buying for themselves - not as a gift, so you can put the pricepoints up a bit. At the moment, they are trying to do 3 and 4 and it falls between two stools. I think 4 is the most attractive, but you've got to get the buying right. My guess is also that's what they tried to do, but when the stock didn't move, they panicked and bought in some cheaper priced stuff. But I don't know why they aren't online. I don't why they don't collect email addresses and I don't why they don't offer interiors services. That said, no local business has ever contacted us about advertising on the site.
    It used to be much more interiors-y, with nice cushions, rugs etc. Now they've gone too much over into kitchenware (there are only so many Good Grips garlic presses a person can buy) and novelty giftware (shudder). I bought a reasonable amount of stuff from there when we bought our flat (cushions, lampshades etc). Now all I go in for is greeting cards, and I rarely lust over anything. I think it needs to move more upmarket.
    They do have a website, somewhere, but it's hard to find, and I think the owner once told me that they never use it/update it anyway, which seems daft.
  • IanIan
    edited 3:24PM
    my garlic press broke last week. I will pop round to home ...
    Every home should have one - a top branded garlic press. Can you get Alessi bird feeders there? At the moment if I want to spend my pocket money I have to pop up to Muswell Hill.

By the way has anyone noticed that the pound shop next to Chapter One has closed and been replaced by.........a letting agency. Now there's progress.
    I did go into home the other day with the intention to buy something but came away empty handed. The penguin mugs have gone as have a lot of the candle holders, glasses and body lotions etc. The stock left there isn't particularly attractive. The lampshades can be bought at the Chocolate Factory in Stoke Newington from the designer at a cheaper price. There has been a strange mix of things in there of late with the jokey stuff. I did used to pop in for a last minute present or something for the flat.

I like Ex-It, the guy's really friendly and it's good for cards, photo frames and the odd bits and bobs. I do like Home and it would be a shame for it to go.