Possible burglary setup

edited July 2008 in Local discussion
I've been at home all day today, but our door is on the ground floor and our flat is on the first floor so this has managed to happen. Our door seems to have been opened through means I am unsure of. It was not forced. Whilst I am in it's only left on the Yale. I heard the postman deliver. I heard junk mail delivered. Next, I heard what sounded like the door being opened. I then walked slowly down the stairs only to find the door open and two of our three crash helmets, which are left on an old trunk in the hallway, gone. Not sure if anything else has been taken, will have to have a proper look later on. My girlfriend answered the door yesterday to one of those people who come round trying to sell dish cloths, and things like that. Perhaps they've scoped the place out? A little worried. matt

Comments

• AliAli
    edited 1:22PM
    Got burgled on Victoria Rd about 20 year ago and the Police showed me how it is down. Check around the door frame and you might find where the black dust line has ben disturbed.

Of course someone might have not closed the door properly
  • IanIan
    My first flat in London - in Clapton - I used to quite often let myself in slipping the Yale with a credit card.
  • edited 1:22PM
    Ali, my thoughts exactly. But it's not even worth my time trying to talk that through with my girlfriend. Postman assured me just now that it was closed when he delivered. We'll be more vigilant!
    I would put a second lock (mortice) on the door ... not only will this deter people from even attempting the Yale trick ... it's a far stronger defence against those who will try to kick the door down.

Then all you have to do is ensure everyone locks it consistently.
    All the multiple-occupancy Victorian houses up and down my street have a strict policy of double-locking the street door with a mortice whether they are in or out - I've noticed.

But of a pain because when a visitor comes it means you may have to physically walk down three floors to let them in - you can't use a remote control. But I get the impression this comes from long experience.

Years and years ago we had a spate of people nicking bikes from the hallways by kicking the door in at 6.30am. Not my house luckily but it happened to both my immediate neighbours. First it happened to our left hand nbeighbour, then a week later to our right hand neighbour. They've both had mortice locks ever since.
  • edited July 2008
    We have two mortice locks as ell as the Yale. So we're going for the "always lock" approach. My feeling is that the door was not closed properly. But of course we'll never know.
    I'd go for the don't leave anything in the hall of any value and mortice lock your flat door so you don't perish in a horrible conflagration.
    the helmets they took are worth sod all
    it doesn't matter what the helmets are worth. people will steal absolutely everything.

last november i ran a half-marathon near amersham. just before the race started, they made an announcement that there would only be 2 water stations because someone had stolen the water from the first one. and it wasn't even bottled of water. it was several large plastic containers filled with tap water and some plastic cups.

if people are willing to put in the effort to steal tap water, i can't imagine what they wouldn't steal.
    police just been round and took some finger prints from rear of letterbox where somebody had their hand through. we shall see also, i think they took my scooter keys, which are decidedly more of a ball ache to replace
  • LizLiz
    That's kind of reassuring - I didn't think the police even bothered doing that kind of thing any more but I'm glad to hear that they do.