MISO

edited August 2006 in Reviews
I just walked up Stroud Green Rd and saw MISO is opening a branch here.

and a couple of doors further up another shop is being refurbished....
curious what will go there!

Comments

• edited August 2006
    This is great news. A decent noodle bar is exactly what we're missing.
  • LizLiz
    edited 1:14AM
    Is Miso a chain? And if so, do we think this is a good thing or a bad thing?
  • edited 1:14AM
    Yes it is a chain, however so's Porchetta and its the best establishment on the road. I'm ambivalent on it - noodles good, chain bad. I think as long as we don't end up with the usual suspects, Starbucks, MaccyD's, etc its probably a nice addition. We can afford to lose one dodgy Halal slaughterhouse for a noodle bar, chain or not.
  • LizLiz
    Ah, but our Porchetta was the first one. If it's a mini local chain, that's all good.
  • edited August 2006
    But other Porchetta's are just as good. Is this relevant? Should Clerkenwell shun their Porchetta as its not the original? ooo, such deep questions. I think these sort of mini chains are ok. Miso is bigger but still in the same playground. Miso have nine chains, 4 north (Hoxton, Camden, Islington & soon here), 4 south (2 in Croydon, Beckenham & Bromley) and 1 on Haymarket. Porchetta has 4 (Here, Clerkenwell, Holborn & Islington). If you discount anything South of the river (as one obviously should in any circumstance) they're really not that different. Can we accept them on this basis? Or is there another waffle show down in the making?
    i like noodles.
    Where is it!? I love noodles!
    It's between Tesco and Woody's - on the same street side.
    They were cleaning up on Friday afternoon but not sure when the opening is.
  • LizLiz
    I think we have our conclusion: on stroudgreen.org, we like noodles and that's all. No need for a poll on this one...
    actually, i don't care for them all that much.....
    yeah, me neither really.
  • edited August 2006
    Don't tell me - promise much, deliver little. Always dry, never tasty. Do you like Drifters by any chance, Fordy?
    i like drifters

(twix-a-like chocolate snack drifters. not hobos)
  • edited August 2006
    Even on [this list](http://www.mattmayer.com/fun/chocolate/) the Drifter only managed number 61, coming lower than such culinary delights as Yorkie Raisin, Orange Aero & Caramel Whip. Such poor appreciation of the waffle, yet kebab like taste in budget chocolate.
    noodles are like a slimier version of pasta. Why would you want that when pasta is on offer?

David, you clearly haven't tasted Drifters - it is because they are only available in certain carefully chosen newsagents.

And clearly any list which has something that is mainly air as the number nine chocolate bar is just wrong!
    Fuse bar?? I dont remember that being around long enough to be considered a bona fide chocolate bar
    I have tasted Drifters. In fact i've tasted most of the cadbury & nestle range due to my paper round as a boy, you hang out at 6.30 in the morning waiting for the owner to turn his back and grab the latest bar. To paraphrase Busby, there's simply sooooo much better out there. Comparing noodles and pasta is pure folly.
  • edited August 2006
    I guess you are not a big fan of noodles then?

I love noodles; big bowl of asian noodle soup with lots of chili and coriander. yum.

On the other hand I enjoy pasta just as much.
    Idle mischief maker really. Pretty much of the opinion that if I can have a bowl of pasta over any food then I will!
    italian food over french???
    good god yes, I am a vegetarian after all! In france if they cut it up small enough then it isn't really meat!