Dentists N4

Comments

• edited 6:21AM
    Yeah, that was my old one. Didn't notice any dirt, but the poor English was a problem, and when I moved over to Shah he did a real "ooooh, you've had some cowboys in" regarding the quality of her work.
    I went there too. I didn't notice the dirt particularly, but the record keeping was certainly rubbish. I went there to have my teeth whitened, in 2009. Seemed a good idea at the time. I paid around £500 I think. She lost the original moulds she took, and so had to take some more. When I went back she said the lab had lost the second lot of moulds, and she'd would have to take some more. This had all taken weeks. At this point I'd had enough, but she refused to give me my money back. I was going to take her to court but then the place closed. Still makes me cross and my teeth are still yellow.
  • AliAli
    edited 6:21AM
    Seems like someone may still be practising as the place was being opened up this morning. Had a look at the PCT site and the rather out of date information tells us that she is still there and it offers a Dental Anxiety Management Service. Sounds quite appropriate. I have asked the PCT to put up what is the current situation so it is accurate.
    I've been using Weston Park Surgery for about 20 years, with varying results, depending on who you see. I now always see Mr Songra - he does his best to keep price down, and has also filed teeth for me at no charge.
    I've been going to Weston Park Surgery for a while now as well .. didn't realise they sharpened teeth as well as doing drilling and filling.
    Teeth filing? Brilliant!
    Is this a goth dentist?
    Goth dentist, oh that would be fun! No, sorry, just un-sharpening a slightly chipped tooth.
  • RoyRoy
    I ended up going to the the big on one Upper Street -- [Pickering Dental Surgeries](http://www.pickeringdentalsurgeries.com/) -- as they run a walk-in surgery and Shah couldn't see me for two days. Was pleasantly surprised that they just steered me in the direction of NHS treatment without my even asking - although it does appear that they charge private rates for appointments with their hygienists. Still, I'm happy with that if they do a good job. I did have to wait three hours to be seen - I gather you really need to turn up around 9am when they open to get seen reasonably quickly - but the dentist was friendly and efficient and I'm happy so far - will report back once my treatment is complete. -roy
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RoyRoy
    I was wondering whether I'd see a different dentist every time, but there is a dentist reference number on my patient notes so I'm guessing maybe one always sees the same one. I didn't catch his name - I thought he was Dutch but I'm not very good with accents so he could well have been Danish. -roy
    I used this thread last week when I was going mad with a wisdom tooth infection. It helped me discount every single dentist in N4 and go to Pickering on upper street, where a German dentist spoke to me with the utmost efficiency and matter of factness about my condition and was thoroughly professional in treating it. I am going back to have a scale and polish tomorrow and to ask for his hand in civil partnership.
    Never been excited to go to the dentist before but after reading the great reviews on D.r Shah I am registering with him next week...hope he lives up to his reputation!
  • AliAli
    Thought Dispatches on CH4 was interesting last night. Kind of reflected the discussions that have been going on here <http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/episode-guide/series-91/episode-1>; I had a filling fall out last week so thought I would give Pickard’s a try. Been advised I need a crown and there was no pushing to go private but after seeing last nights show and reading the blog on the link it is difficult to know whether to trust what I am being told
    Lots of really useful stuff here - lived in the area for 7 years and only visited a dentist once..oh dear! I used the Hornsey Dental Practice on Hanley Road and was not impressed. I have a hole in my tooth which causes occasional pain and is clearly visible. They told me that there was no hole/decay, even after taking an xray. I can see it AND feel it - its definitely there! I also found the Practice Manager brusque to the point of being rude. None of the staff were very friendly and they dumped me from their books when i failed to make an appointment for a check up 6 months later. Off to Dr Shah i will go...
  • valval
    About 40 years ago my husband and I used a dentist in Stroud Green Road, but were not too pleased with him. Someone who had lived in SG for a long time warned us that he was known as "the butcher of Stroud Green"! She recommended Mr Elder in Crouch Hall Road. When he retired, his son took over, then he left and the practice has now gone mainly private, but I can visit Dr Rawlings, a kindly and efficient female NHS dentist who works there on Fridays only.
    I have lived in the area for over 20 years. I went to the dentist in Stroud Green Road near the laundrette. They closed suddenly andd told me they would re-open when the NHS Oked that. I was rather suspicious and having toothache had to find a dentist quickly. I went to Dr Sha and have been very impressed by him. I would not go anywhere else now.

Mike Dark
    More love for Dr Shah. I went there this morning and found he and the nurse to be really lovely, politle and professional. I nearly fell on the floor when she told me the price for the full check up, 2 xrays and proper teeth clean they'd just administered - £17. I would highly recommend!
  • edited December 2017
  • Yes, he's a stroud green road legend.
  • And he's next to Tesco - not to be confused with the dentist further down SGR!<br>
  • edited December 2011
    Another vote for Dr. Shah.  Me, my girlfriend and 3-year-old son all go to him and he's ace.  Most practical dentist I've seen in years.<br>
  • edited December 2017
  • Yes, he's on SGR - a door next to Tesco's. I found him to be very good also and his receptionist / dental assistant (she seems to do lots of jobs in the place!) is also really lovely and polite.<br>
  • I like the idea of a vegetable toadtie but can't quite picture it in my mind.
  • Bad news: it appears Mr Shah has retired.
  • Yes, its true. After being carved up by Hornsey Dental Centre i decided to try the highly rated Mr Shah only to be told he was reiring in 2 weeks (probably now actually retired). The story has a happy ending as he is recommending Smilecare on Junction Road where he sometimes referred some of his trickier jobs. I unfortunately had to have root canal, but i found the procedure to be first class and £150 which i thought was cheap. Fillings were £50. I liked Mr Kapadia, he seemed very experienced, confident, and empathetic to my situation. As an aside, never ever overbrush your teeth, it may well feel like you're doing a great job but in actual fact you're probably doing more damage than eating 10 bags of Skittles a day and not brushing. I have learnt my lesson!
  • Whilst I wish him a very happy retirement, it's a real shame to see him go. 
  • Oh dear God no! ... I only just went there ... suddenly with a good dentist found it seemed there was one lthing less in life to fret over ... please, please ... other former Shah patients ... please post your plans for an alternative? Shame he didn't send out a letter to patients on his list. Where do the patient records go? Do we get them?