Favourite Shop Staff on SGR

edited March 2010 in Local discussion
Mine would include:

Pharmacy - on the north west side of SGR. The older man with a mop of white hair. Always very polite and courteous.

Sparks - the guy who runs it is always very helpful and full of advice.

Tesco - although 90% of the check out crew are at the best dis-interested and at worst rude, I do like the white haired lady with glasses who tends to work a morning shift. Always smiles, wishes me well and calls me "luv". I think she might be called Brenda. If she isn't, she should be.

Comments

• edited 10:24PM
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I really like the man you mentioned in the chemist. I don't know Flicks - did you mean Sparks? In which case, he's a lovely man too, always says hello when I walk past. Also like the man in X-It. And Jacks. And the people in the fishmonger (esp the woman), and the people who run the newsagent on Tollington. I could go on, there are loads... The man from Christos hardware shop is dearly missed. I liked him a lot.
    Sorry, I did mean Sparks. Have made the edit.
    The smiley tallish man in the Turkish shop nextdoor to Nando's. He gives out free sweets at the counter and always says hello when he's smoking oustide.
    She's called Liz, actually. She and another old hand (in years at Tesco's, not years on this earth), Karen, are models of how to treat customers. I couldn't imagine any customer wanting to have a go at them, although Karen says some do.

At the other end of the spectrum, there are some right b******s on the tills, and I cheerfully complain to the manager whenever necessary. Well, not cheerfully, actually: I really see red when I meet rudeness, arrogance or carelessness and indifference from the staff, which I reckon we have done far too often. I know there are 2 sides to the story, as I worked in several shops when I was young, but some people ask for it. I am thinking of 1 or 2 characters in particular, although perhaps it would be unfair to describe them; I bet they have run-ins with the public every 5 minutes.

Barbara, the manageress with the long blonde hair, takes complaints very seriously, but is also interested to hear praise for her staff, so I do a bit of both, from time to time. Actually, I get the impression that some of the inbetween characters have been trying a bit harder recently, so perhaps she is making a difference. I hope so; politeness and friendliness make life in Tesco's much pleasanter, for everyone.

Apart from Tesco's, I suppose I know the cafe people in SGR best. They're nearly all lovely - but there are already enough cafe threads on SG.org, so I'll leave it there, for now.
  • edited March 2010
    Misscara, he does sound like the same one, except the one I mean doesn't have curly hair! It's very short and straight.
    Blimey, it's all happening, on SGR, this morning! My post above, about Tesco's, was in response to Tallboy's description of 'Brenda', in his first post.
    I like the man who takes your basket if you put it down for more than a second, even if it is full of shopping.

He's the best.

Oh and the young kid at Tesco who is often on the self service tills. He's a ninja when the machines get stuck...

The rest of the staff in Tesco ar droids.

Service around the rest of SGR is pretty special.. never just right, it's either really really shit.. or very very full on.. and almost always laced with mental health issues..

I LOVE N4
    It's saddening nobody has so far mentioned the Turkish gents hairdresser opposite the Costcutters. He's a lovely, good-humoured quiet man with a business that doesn't seem to be going too well. And a great hairdresser.

I am also a fan of Brenda/Liz at Tesco, and the owner of the newsagents next to Nando's (although now that I know that he gives gifts to other customers my affection is waning a bit). We had a great conversation about the pros and cons of Whisky v Raki once. I still think he underprices the Jura. And the older man at Jai Krishna's, and the guy in X-It. I nearly forgot the guy who runs Venezia.
    @Marquis. The little bottle of gin is nice. But an orange? An orange for Christmas?!
    Cue Busby?
    I am also a fan of the man in the shop next to Nandos although i dont think you can call it a newsagent Marquis as it doesn't sell newspapers. I too have had a conversation with him about the merits of Raki. He seems to prefer to give his gifts to women and he usually has a selection of sweets to give out to them. I have occasionally been given some although i don't really want them.

I also really like the self-service ninja in Tesco, he is very efficient and serious about his job.

Least favourite has to be grumpy man in Mind
    Sorry about the newsagent/shop mix-up. Must definitely concentrate more.
    Great story Misscara. A similar thing happened to me yesterday in Pain Quotidien near the Royal Free. I asked how much the bag of granola was (which would have done me three breakfasts, maybe four). She grimaced, shook her head, and said: '£6.80. Too expensive.'
    The gentlemen in the shop next to Nando's always gives me sweets too but always explains they are for ladies only (much to the disappointment of my other half).

I also vote for high-vis man in Tesco. He should be running the place.
    Granola gets on my nerves, what's wrong with muesli?
    Lol the guy in the shop by Nando's give's me sweets too! My other half asked where his was and was upset when he got the same response as JaneDoe's boyfriend which was "they are only for ladies". Great guy.
    Shop by Nando's = Istanbul Supermarket

And yes the staff are legendary..
    I'm new here, well, long time listener first time calller and all that.

I find the service great in these places,

Jack's - incredibly friendly, always keen to have a chat about various subjects and must have the patience of a saint as some of the customers there must be very hard work 'Just getting some beer, I'll pay you tomorrow, yeah?'. One of the brothers is considerably friendlier than the other though.

Old Dairy - one of the lads in there in particular, on requesting a bottle of Pinot Noir he answered, 'Don't bother mate, it's no good, try this instead' - that was a cheaper bottle and a good one. The manager in there is alright too and has the patience of a saint when dealing with the two drunken charged up mockneys who are always at his quiz, I would have chucked them out ages ago.

Dry Cleaners next to Woody's - always very friendly and often offers discounts and has even mended things without being asked.

At the other end of the scale, about a year or two ago Woody's had a late teens/early twenties female shop assistant who must be THE most unfriendly sales assistant in local history.
    I agree about the grumpy man in Mind, but as he's a volunteer I try to forgive him. I like the guy in the dry cleaners, next to Woody's. He's friendly and gave me a discount when I tried to negotiate with him about the price of a lot of dry cleaning, which was cool
    Another vote for the white-haired man in the chemist. Very efficient, polite and quietly confident.
    Big vote for Keiron who runs the Snow White Dry Cleaners - great guy, and real interest in the community / SGR area.
    The pharmacist himself in the chemist up by Sainsbury's is great, both efficient and friendly. Moving off SGR ever so slightly, I'm also a big fan of everyone in the Tollington newsagent's.
    Given that Mind is a mental health charity, I would not be surprised if the people who volunteer there have different levels of mental health issues. Not that I would make judgements on any individuals in there of course!

I like a lot of the staff in Tesco - there's a couple of young guys who do the self service tills who are always really cheerful and helpful, and a black lady with freckles who works on the tills who is super-friendly, always has a joke, and remembers who we are. Never really get any rude service there.

The bald guy in the Nandos-Turkish shop likes to tell my boyfriend that they both belong to the "Baldy Men's Club", much to my boyfriend's mock-horror. I love the guy in there who used to look like an 80s Scouser but has since shaved the tache and cut the hair :( They're all dead friendly. I also like the guy and young girl who work in the shop up by the florist on the other side of the road.
    Oh and also the Pharmacy up by 157 Medical Centre is great - the staff are friendly and sympathetic and the pharmacist is helpful.
  • AliAli
    edited 10:24PM
    Santas is great as well !
    My latest favourites are the elderly couple who run that small off licence just a bit up from Woodstock Road, sort of opposite the World's End. I try to get all my offy needs from there, even though the beer is 1.10 a can and the owner of one of the off licences on Hornsey Road has told me I was 'very handsome' last weekend. Does he do that often?