Favourite Shop Staff on SGR

Comments

• edited 11:39PM
    The two Sikh guys who run Jack's are legendary. I suspect neither of them are called Jack. The younger one always recommends good ale and cider - ignore his warnings at your peril. I bought a brandy-cider there against his express advice and it was one of the most horrible things I have ever tasted. No amount of mulling could make that filth palatable.
  • KazKaz
    edited 11:39PM
    Free sweets and gin? Must visit that shop more often. I had a really pleasant experience in Tesco once when I couldn't find any organic eggs, there was a teenager stocking the shelves, I asked him and he said it didn't look like they had any. I went up to the tills and a few minutes after he came up to me, organic eggs in hand, and said they had some out the back. (I am aware now though, as per previous thread that they might not have been organic eggs at all.) I thought that was sweet. I feel sorry for the people who work there, it really is a bit of a shit store, esp with all the crappy self service tills.

Love the pharmacy man too. Used to like the guy with a mullett in Woodys, more for his mad hair than anything else. Don't think I've ever really come across anyone really rude around here. And I think the staff at Sugar Lounge are lovely.
    Completely agree with AGDS, the couple who run the newsagents on Tollington are really lovely. In a bizarre sort of way I also like the older man who works at Jai Krishna, he tends to stand behind the counter endlessly totting up bills while the younger man runs ragged doing the rest of the work.
    This is a lovely thread by the way, thanks Tallboy. [Almost] everyone has managed to find great things to say about the locals and not used it as an excuse to criticise. Hooray!
  • AliAli
    I can remember when the older man who works at Jai Krishna was actually the younger one that was in the days that Annie used to frequent the place
    Are there two Annie's in SG? Another vote for the lovely folk in Tollington newsagents.
    Liz is lovely and says hello even in the street on her way to work
    Marquis, i've also been told i was very handsome by the really friendly man in the Hornsey Road off license many times. Actually he scared me quite a lot once. Asking lots of questions, telling me i had the most beautiful eyes etc. I think he'll try it on with most young men!
    I vote for the youngish guy that serves in Budget supermarket. Always friendly and sometimes gives discounts if you buy spirits.
    Which Budget, the SGR one or base of Crouch Hill? I assume the former, they're much friendlier generally. And cheaper, for that matter.
    The guys from Rishin Too on Hornsey Road are just lovely. When you couple that with the gang from Hamlet caf on a saturday morning you start the day off with a big smile.
    The Turkish guys in the Supersave on Hornsey Road are also really nice and used to give my daughter free sweets when she was little. Its been a long time since I was in Steve's newsagent on SGR as I don't live that side any more but the elderly owner was always absolutely lovely. Is he still there? @Emma, I agree lovely thread. Nice to be positive. Spring must be on the way!
  • edited February 2011
    The freckly woman at Tesco and the grey haired woman with glasses (on the till in the morning) are so lovely. The guys at Jacks too. The manager at Porchetta who always greets me on the street. The staff at Jai Krishna (providing Stroud Green with lovely veggie food for decades).

I miss the couple who ran the newsagent that used to be where the Convenience Store is now, next to Dream River cafe. I used to have chats with them. They're living in a the countryside now after many decades of long hours.
    Oh, and the staff at the Front Room, who I think do a great job with a lot of heart and all the kindness in the world.
    Drowner, that's what I thought. I couldn't really stop for a conversation because I was on my way to the cinema, but he also confirmed that I had chosen the best product in the shop (extra sour Haribos). Still it made my afternoon. I wonder if he ever scores with this strategy? The elderly owner is still in Steve's. I hope he can afford retire one day, unless running a newsagent is his great passion.
    Wait - you can get EXTRA sour Haribo? Tangfastics are my favourite sweets ever but if a higher plane of sour exists, I MUST BE TOLD.
    Yes, Emma. It has light green packaging, but can't remember the name now. Also I think Sour Strawbs are higher up on the sourness scale than Tangfastics. Have you ever tried the own-brand strawberry strips from Sainsbury's? Seriously toxic!
    Those are excellent, but not that sour. For full-on toxic, you want Toxic Waste. It even comes in little plastic oil drums.
    The staff in Nisa at the wells terrace exit of Finsbury P tube are always lovely whenever I venture in there (usually for post work wine tragically) The shop across the road must be really suffering as their staff are bloody awful.

Also that weird little home shop, think it's called essential stop shop who sell really good and cheap kilner jars are really friendly.

Agree on the tescos staff but it really must be a lot of a chore to work there, it's always so busy...
    Also, the middle-aged fellah in Kebabilicious. He's never patronising when I try to engage him on the Kurdish question at one in the morning.
    Oh yeah, the Nisa staff <i>are</i> really friendly! I also like the way Nisa smells of holiday camp convenience shops. Walking past makes me think of Pontins in the 80s.
  • AliAli
    Any one seen the new shop near to the K Bar ? Full of lots of shiney things that I doub't anyone around here would want !
    The friendliest

The Post Office, especially the owner
    The boys in Smart Design
    Jacks
    The Pharmacy next to 157 Medical Practice
    All the staff at the WLM
    Rohats

The rudest / most unpleasent

The newsagents opposite the World's End (always check your change)
    Some of the staff at the Fullback
    @Emma, those shops always used to smell of rubber flipflops. @Ali - what kind of shiny things - home stuff?
    The Turkish (Kurdish?) chef/maitre d' at Mari e monte on Crouch Hill
    The butcher on Crouch Hill.
    Sanjay in Santa's pharmacy on SGR.
    The fishmongers at Liline's.
    Staff in Londis on Stapleton Hall Road
    I have some of the same favourites. I think Keiron in Snow White Dry Cleaners is great. There's a man who knows how to 'spread the love' and not judge you by your shirt. I like the staff in the fish shop too. I was going to start a thread on nice things to buy in Stroud Green. I like their homemade ready meal things.
    Can't believe no one has mentioned the guys who run the newsagents across from the Londis on Ferme Park Road (usually the guy with the beard, but sometimes his brother, who is quite possibly the world's happiest man, fills in). I sometimes buy things in there with a handful of change, just because they always act like they are delighted about it, even if their till is overflowing with change at the time.
    @mapsa - Absolutely agree - both staggeringly cheerful, but are they still there? I haven't seen them at the weekend for a while now.
  • jj
    I remember "Cheap and Cheerful" that was once somewhere towards the top of the road, which sold plastic buckets, lighters, cleaning products and so on.

The chap in there (he had something of a Jimmy Saville presence about him, with his white bouffant hairdo and blue shell-suit) was always a cheerful fella. And his merchandise was cheap too.
  • edited February 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.