Bin raid olympics

Comments

• edited 1:07AM
    Thanks for your advice on this folk. I'll see if I can dig up the planning application first. Nick, I agree re the concreting of front gardens. A
    I thought I'd try with food stuffs again, just to see if the gherkin snatcher was still around.

Last night I left out a jar of pickled chilli peppers (only one had been eaten - these weren't crunchy enouch for him indoors either)

This morning: gone.

Nobody seems to be interested inthe bits of carpet, skirting and cupboard doors piled up (pre-skip) in the front garden tho'.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Misscara - that was clearly a gang of cats took your offerings.
    Sorry Arkady, yes that is the house I'm referring to. It's right opposite my place. They've finished it now and they have disabled badges and no-smoking signs plastered all over the front, so I'm curious about its intended use. I was also disappointed when they rendered the front, after taking the trouble to strip back to what appeared to be very good condition brickwork. They've mirrored our colouring, which was there before I moved in 6 yrs ago, so I'm not sure how I would take to a retrospective bill for stripping back to brick - although I think the work was before it was deemed a conservation area?! I was also disappointed when they paved the whole front. They've done a decent job and the skips have now gone, but they haven't dropped the kerb yet. Maybe they're waiting for the council to do it - taking up more parking space - so I'm sure they'll be back. I've finally taken up the concrete that was covering my front garden, but haven't got the sponds to doing anything properly yet. Any suggestions welcome....maybe new thread?
    @sincers I looked at the planning application - they got permission on the basis of converting it into some kind of care home if i remember rightly - sheltered accomodation, possiibly for the elderly? I also couldn't find any reference to not rendering brickwork in the Conservation Area document, though I thought I had seen it there previously. I think there are folks on the committee here who may be able to cast light on that. You must be pleased that the work is over. They've finally finished opposite me too. A
    thanks @Arkady, that's excellent. I am happy they've finished and its a huge improvement on the condition of the property. It must have cost a fortune. They pretty much rebuilt the entire house, digging it out, completely gutting it and replaced every timber; beams, trusses, the lot. They were never particularly intrusive or noisy and we even had a laugh on occasion about how ridiculous the parking attendants' behavior was when you'd try and get something delivered. It was mostly an inconvenience with the amount of parking space they used to take up. However I've since ditched the motor and don't have that to worry about anymore. On the up side, I guess the residents won't be playing load R&B music or yelling out the window at people like used to happen there. Unless they're deaf offenders...."does that mean there will be noise or their won't be noise?" I guess that means they'll defiantely be dropping the kerb down then. Maybe they can prune my roses for therapy when I'm not there - this is sounding better and better!
    meta bin raid here. I left a smallish Bexley* council wheelie bin out today and it went in 30 minutes, sparing me the trouble of chucking it.

*No, I've no idea what it was doing in Stroud Green either.
    If anyone's in need of a dining table there is a splendid, large (4ftish) round wooden one upside down on top of some dustbins in Birnam Road - at the church end. Just walked past it. Looks like it would scrub up nicely.
    BTW, they have dropped the kerb down at the new Care Home on FPR. There's no signage yet, so chance it may not be a legitimate one. The more drop down kerbs there are, the more FPR turns into a highway, which is one of the reasons I oppose them. They also pave them so bad for water drainage etc. BTW bin raid Olympics was falterning las week: there was a piece of home made, MDF, corner stand thingy on FPR and it took nearly 48 hours to go!
    Left many things outside in Victoria Road that are gone in seconds.

The other day, we left another TV outside, which was again gone in seconds, however, who ever took it left a bottle of Rose in it's place!! Very nice touch I thought. Thank you whoever you are.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PruPru
    edited 1:07AM
    @ sincers They may not put a sign outside. This is about 'normalisation' rather than legitimacy. Also if it's in a domestic sized building its unlikely to be for older people.
    a twenty year old hand blender - gone in hours . it was boxed and even had a recipe leaflet
    sorry @Pru - I meant indicating a drop-down kerb ie. don't park across the drive, not that it was a home for the elderly. I have no objection to that, so long as they keep the music down.
  • edited September 2010
    It looks legit. I peered in the window and there are a lot of signs warning against residents being found with contraband, too many vistors, etc. As Pru suggests, I don't think it's for the elderly.
    Ok, now I'm nervous. Not only are they taking up valuable parking space, but they're drug dealers as well!!! (exclamation marks justified)
    3 out of 4 tubes of industrial silicone sealant went overnight. No idea why him indoors had 4 tubes of the stuff in the first place, and a bit baffled and somewhat disappointed that whoever took them only wanted 3 not all 4.

Nobody seems to be interested in the brand new stainless steel door handles which have been out on offer for a few days now...
    I missed out on a lovely 50's cocktail cabinet on Moray Road the other day. I was waiting til it got dark and someone else flounced off with it!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I know! I will be a shameless daylight scavenger next time.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2011
    This morning at 9am there was a piano (battered, but working and pretty) with a sign saying 'please take'.
    i left full bottle of aftershock in front of the house and nobody took it for good couple of days ... that tells it all about the taste for drinks ;)
    But did it get taken in the end?
    this thread so sums this website up - anyone ever raided (i.e. found) anything interesting?
    I admit to being a complete womble being heavily into 'upcycling'.

If i see anything thrown away that could potentially be reusable and i can carry it its dragged home. Admittedly it is borderline getting out of control ( running out of storage space both at our house and the in laws , now driving them and the hubby nuts).

If anyone knows any reasonable workshops in the area please give me a shout as i would love a space to work in and host upcycling craft workshops.
    I've only ever taken books, and then only when they've had a sign saying "help yourself". Seems to happen a lot around here though which is BRILLIANT, oh books how I love you.
    Toddlesocks, It's not a workshop but the North Library down in Holloway has a charming upstairs room that they hire out.
    Thanks Mirandola, I will look into it, but think it may be a bit to messy for a library.

I am keeping an eye on unused local shops, hoping someone has one going very cheap they would like at least occupied and looked after.